Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Karubecue (KBQ) experience & review

Options
Hey everyone,
I had been in the market for a new dedicated smoker. Really wanted a stick burner but the foot print was too big, good ones were too heavy, and finally, the learning curve intimidated me. 
Couple peeps here, especially Cent - Tex recommended looking into KBQ. After some research & was sold. I was lucky enough to find a used one on a BBQ forum site. Only done two cooks so far. I did three fat prime chucks, treated them like brisket. They were very good. I just finished a cook yesterday w/ two 8 - 9 lb Duroc pork butts. I followed a Myron Mixon recipe. Again, very good. I'm trying not to overstate this, but when I say very good, I mean a whole other level of smoke quality, depth of flavor, and bark. The bark that thing creates it impressive. I can not wait to cook my first brisket on it.
Thanks Can - Tex & friends!

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    So glad you got one and are enjoying it! I highly recommend trying ribs on it and turkey breast or chicken.  It all comes out awesome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jjdbike
    jjdbike Posts: 100
    edited May 2022
    Options
    So glad you got one and are enjoying it! I highly recommend trying ribs on it and turkey breast or chicken.  It all comes out awesome.
    Thanks John!
    Looking forward to doing a brisket, but it’s a lot of $ & food. Gotta try some chicken. Thanks for the tips!
    JD
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    jjdbike said:
    Thanks John!
    Looking forward to doing a brisket, but it’s a lot of $ & food. Gotta try some chicken. Thanks for the tips!
    JD
    I have smoked one brisket in mine so far.  One observation: it requires quite a bit less time than the Egg.  Things tend to cook pretty fast in there. I bet you saw that with your pork butts.  

So it’s a long cook that uses plenty of wood but you can probably manage it by getting up early, rather than pulling an all-nighter. And it comes out great.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jjdbike
    jjdbike Posts: 100
    Options
    jjdbike said:
    Thanks John!
    JD
    I have smoked one brisket in mine so far.  One observation: it requires quite a bit less time than the Egg.  Things tend to cook pretty fast in there. I bet you saw that with your pork butts.  

So it’s a long cook that uses plenty of wood but you can probably manage it by getting up early, rather than pulling an all-nighter. And it comes out great.
    Yes I have noticed it cooks more quickly than BGE. I attribute that tp how much air it circulates, similar to a convection oven,
    I was also surprised at how much wood it burns through. 
    Finally, even though it cooks w/ clean smoke from under firebox, & produces small hot fire, I've noticed something. Keeping the flames roaring, and adding wood very frequently, e.g. every 15 - 20 mins a couple pieces at a time produces a cleaner smoke than loading up the box and letting it burn down to coals, and repeating every 30 - 35 mins. 
    Respectfully,
    JD
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It is an amazing chicken and rib rig. Might be my favorite cooks on the kbq. I find I cook on my egg 90% of the time due to being empty nesters these days. Now that we are settled in at the ranch and have a (several) lifetime supply of oak wood on the ground, I hope to get it back in the rotation again. I always break it out when we have a group to cook for. Glad you are enjoying it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jjdbike said:
    Hey everyone,
    I had been in the market for a new dedicated smoker. Really wanted a stick burner but the foot print was too big, good ones were too heavy, and finally, the learning curve intimidated me. 
    Couple peeps here, especially Cent - Tex recommended looking into KBQ. After some research & was sold. I was lucky enough to find a used one on a BBQ forum site. Only done two cooks so far. I did three fat prime chucks, treated them like brisket. They were very good. I just finished a cook yesterday w/ two 8 - 9 lb Duroc pork butts. I followed a Myron Mixon recipe. Again, very good. I'm trying not to overstate this, but when I say very good, I mean a whole other level of smoke quality, depth of flavor, and bark. The bark that thing creates it impressive. I can not wait to cook my first brisket on it.
    Thanks Can - Tex & friends!
    That all looks great. have fun with your new toy. Everyone I know who has one loves it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    the end justifies the means . . . nice looking cook
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @jjdbike Congratulations on finding a KBQ.  You will be very with the results, especially ribs.  I have won several competitions cooking ribs on it.  Like you said it is a totally different taste.  Enjoy!!
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    - That is great looking cook on the KBQ.
    - The KBQ is the only cooker that I passed along to and relative that I regret and miss. But on the bright side my BIL is stuck with my sister...
    - I hope you get many years of satisfaction out of it.
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    I really enjoy mine!🇺🇸
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas