Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We had a good run as a country

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    and the obama whitehouse leaving that door open. 
    I'm not quite understanding what you mean by this.  ???
    Think along the lines that if a woman is raped, it’s her fault for dressing suggestively.  In other words, he is suggesting the victim is somehow culpable.
    edited May 2022
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    @HeavyG - Walker Bragman is a weapons-grade jackass.

He may well be. When I post a tweet it doesn't mean that I am supportive/approve of their entire ouevre. In this case, I just agree that the Dems (as usual) play softball while the opposing team is (always) playing hardball.
    Maybe that will change in the next couple of weeks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not sure what the Dems are supposed to do about either Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema.  To degrees, neither of them appears to give two craps about doing anything in the interests of the greater good.  

If Roe v. Wade is overturned it effects far more than just the abortion issue.
    Given the near certainty that the Dems are going to lose both chambers this year and quite possibly (likely?) the WH in 24 I'm with those that think the Dems would be wise to at least make the attempt now and force votes in both chambers that would codify the rights being impacted.
    No doubt that Manchin and Sinema are wildcards but, given that the vast majority of citizens are supportive of abortion, same-sex marriage, and other issues that may be impacted there may well be enough voters that might "cross over" that current members of Congress might think twice about not supporting Roe v. Wade.
    Or, the Dems can just keep doing nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you been paying attention over the past two years?  They have forced votes on issues.  Manchin and Sinema couldn’t care less.  In fact, all evidence points to them being more than happy to having to cast votes against their party, because THAT IS THEIR BRAND.  

The idea that either of those two can somehow be peer pressured into suddenly pulling for the team is pure fantasy.   And yet people cling to this concept because reality is just far too difficult to accept, I guess. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    There was a time when the democrats and the house and the Senate and the white house could of got her to retire during the Obama admin,  it was right there, easily seen. I said it here back then,.  It was too easy for trump. It's one of the most important things for a pres to do
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,982
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    There was a time when the democrats and the house and the Senate and the white house could of got her to retire during the Obama admin,  it was right there, easily seen. I said it here back then,.  It was too easy for trump. It's one of the most important things for a pres to do
    I think RBG was maybe 79 when the Republicans took the Senate back.  I do like this fantasy world where the Obama White House could have somehow forced RBG to resign, even if she didn’t want to.   She was in reasonably good health until fairly recently.  

Even had she resigned and Obama had appointed another judge, the court is still 5-4 conservative right now.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    I think RBG was maybe 79 when the Republicans took the Senate back.  I do like this fantasy world where the Obama White House could have somehow forced RBG to resign, even if she didn’t want to.   She was in reasonably good health until fairly recently.  

Even had she resigned and Obama had appointed another judge, the court is still 5-4 conservative right now.  
    Ilove louv your fantasy world too
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    i can haz Engrish?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:

Even had she resigned and Obama had appointed another judge, the court is still 5-4 conservabest plan was to do nothing. V.                    
     Pretty typical for the dems
    For the crap . I don't agree with this for crap
    I agree with roe but the left handled this wrong

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Geez Fish have another gin and tonic man, lol.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    The hills are alive with the sound of music-I am kidding but the incoming info is incredible. I may find more-but worth a read.

The Daily
    Saahil Desai headshot

Saahil Desai

SENIOR ASSOCIATE EDITOR

What comes after Roe v. Wade? It’s no longer an abstract question. Then:What it’s like to have NFT scammers hack your Twitter account.

Post-Roe America

Photo of abortion-rights and anti-abortion protesters

(Drew Angerer / Getty; Win McNamee / Getty)

Unprecedented is one of those words that journalists like to throw around. But if any moment seems to fit the bill, it’s this one. According to a leaked draft opinion obtained by Politico (and today confirmed as authentic by Chief Justice John Roberts), the Supreme Court has decided to overturn Roe v. Wade, paving the way for states to ban abortions. (The scope of the decision could still change before it becomes public next month.)

Though the anticipated outcome might be shocking—the Supreme Court doesn’t often reverse its own precedent—the Court’s Republican-appointed majority signaled that the end of Roe was coming during oral arguments for the abortion case at hand, and the conservative legal movement has been angling for this outcome for many decades.

What will a post-Roe America actually look like? Expect more than half of states to outlaw abortions outright—13 already have “trigger” laws that would automatically ban abortions once Roe is officially dead. (Although, thanks to existing restrictions, largely in red states, nearly 90 percent of counties currently lack a single abortion clinic.) Meanwhile, a covert network of abortion-rights activists has been plotting how to maintain access even amid the new restrictions, pivoting to self-managed abortion pills and DIY devices. “A post-Roe world will not resemble a pre-Roeworld,” the journalist Jessica Bruder writes in our May cover story.

Here are three more views from our writers.

• The conservatives aren’t just ending Roe—they’re delighting in it. The leaked draft is the work of emboldened justices who have no desire to end Roe in a gentle manner, the law professor Mary Ziegler argues: “The conservative majority is not going to sit around and wait; nothing about this seems particularly hard for these justices. No soul-searching was required.”
    • Roe’s supporters must stand up. “My mother and all the women who fought alongside her gave my generation Roe v. Wade,” our contributing writer Molly Jong-Fast explains. “They gave us the bodily autonomy we should have already had … It was an essential gift, and an irreversible one. Or so we thought.”
    • This ruling will have tremendous implications. Our staff writer Adam Serwer asks, if the Court is willing to strip away a right that has been enshrined for a half century, what will the justices do next? “There is no freedom from state coercion that conservatives cannot strip away if conservatives find that freedom personally distasteful,” he writes. “The rights of heterosexual married couples to obtain contraception, or of LGBTQ people to be free from discrimination, are obvious targets.”
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    And one more- after this I will cease at least til Wednesday:

Insights, analysis and must reads from CNN's Fareed Zakaria and the Global Public Square team, compiled by Global Briefing editor Chris Good

Seeing this newsletter as a forward? Subscribe here.

May 3, 2022

Abortion Consumes US Politics

Arguably, there has not been a bigger story in the US in decades: A leaked Supreme Court draft opinion would, if finalized, overturn the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that made abortion legal in America. 

The impact would be difficult to overstate. 

After years of Republican efforts to impose stricter regulations on abortion clinics, hundreds-mile swaths of the US currently have none. Still, journalists and abortion-rights advocates have cited the danger of abortion before its legalization. Predicting the end of Roe in January, The New York Times’ Ilana Panich-Linsman and Lauren Kelley told the stories of women who faced those risks. Tulane history professor Karissa Haugeberg summarized pre-Roe abortion to NPR in 2019. 

Abortion now can be expected to dominate US politics, writes Politico founding editor John Harris. “(N)ot many Republican operatives would advise that the best strategy for the 2022 midterms and 2024 presidential elections is to put abortion rights front and center in a consuming national debate,” Harris writes. “But if the court follows through with its draft opinion … front and center is where it will be, even as polls” in recent years have shown majorities consistently want Roe to stay. 

(Overturning Roe would not outlaw abortion: Most immediately, it would allow individual states to write their own abortion laws. But Harris isn’t so sure the matter would be confined to the states. Abortion could be banned nationwide “if Republicans chose to do so with a narrow majority next time they take control of Congress,” Harris notes; it could be legalized nationwide “when Democrats are in charge.”)

There is more to say about US public sentiment on abortion, but in the draft opinion, conservative Justice Samuel Alito writes that abortion policy should be “return(ed) … to the people and their elected representatives.” 

If the decision is finalized, Harris writes, Alito will get what he wants.

What the Leak Means for the Court

The leak, in itself, has shocked many. “I love a leak as much as the next reporter,” writes Washington Post columnist and court-watcher Ruth Marcus, “but unlike Congress and the White House, the court can’t function this way. … I’m not prepared to believe the institution should be destroyed, which would be the consequence of a culture of preemptive leaking.”

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    You just don't understand the commen man. Onemoref
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

He may well be. When I post a tweet it doesn't mean that I am supportive/approve of their entire ouevre. In this case, I just agree that the Dems (as usual) play softball while the opposing team is (always) playing hardball.

I’m not sure what the Dems are supposed to do about either Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema.  To degrees, neither of them appears to give two craps about doing anything in the interests of the greater good.  

Given the near certainty that the Dems are going to lose both chambers this year and quite possibly (likely?) the WH in 24 I'm with those that think the Dems would be wise to at least make the attempt now and force votes in both chambers that would codify the rights being impacted.
    No doubt that Manchin and Sinema are wildcards but, given that the vast majority of citizens are supportive of abortion, same-sex marriage, and other issues that may be impacted there may well be enough voters that might "cross over" that current members of Congress might think twice about not supporting Roe v. Wade.

Have you been paying attention over the past two years?  They have forced votes on issues.  Manchin and Sinema couldn’t care less.  In fact, all evidence points to them being more than happy to having to cast votes against their party, because THAT IS THEIR BRAND.  

The idea that either of those two can somehow be peer pressured into suddenly pulling for the team is pure fantasy.   And yet people cling to this concept because reality is just far too difficult to accept, I guess. 

Doesn't really matter what Manchin/Sinema do in this. The point is to make a roll call vote so the record clearly shows - loudly and publicly - where every Congresscritter stands.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Doesn't really matter what Manchin/Sinema do in this. The point is to make a roll call vote so the record clearly shows - loudly and publicly - where every Congresscritter stands.
    How do you even get to a roll call vote on an issue like this with the filibuster in place?  

Look I’m all for Dems doing everything in their power to protect rights, I just don’t think something like what you’re suggesting actually qualifies as “doing something” or “playing hardball”.  Mostly it just seems like kabuki theater.  Maybe that makes a few people feel better momentarily, but it’s not serious.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Well, now I’m convinced!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

How do you even get to a roll call vote on an issue like this with the filibuster in place?  

Look I’m all for Dems doing everything in their power to protect rights, I just don’t think something like what you’re suggesting actually qualifies as “doing something” or “playing hardball”.  Mostly it just seems like kabuki theater.  Maybe that makes a few people feel better momentarily, but it’s not serious.

All I can say is that Schumer said today that there will be a vote in the Senate.
    Of course it's not bloody likely that he will be able to muster the 60-vote supermajority needed to pass a law and I'm sure he knows that.

And I'm not saying that doing this is, in and of itself, "playing hardball". To the contrary, doing this seems like about the minimum they can do - just get everyone on the record before the real battles begin.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

All I can say is that Schumer said today that there will be a vote in the Senate.
    Of course it's not bloody likely that he will be able to muster the 60-vote supermajority needed to pass a law and I'm sure he knows that.

And I'm not saying that doing this is, in and of itself, "playing hardball". To the contrary, doing this seems like about the minimum they can do - just get everyone on the record before the real battles begin.

• fishlessman
    Options

wish i could blame it on the gin
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    Options

Like I said earlier if the leaked opinion holds more than abortion rights will be at risk.

Gotta wonder tho if Clarence Thomas and Mitch McConnell both still believe that Loving v. Virginia is still so called "settled law".

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited May 2022
    Options
    "How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?"  

- Matt Gaetz, R-FL.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    In pushing the issue to states rights, there won't be a national ban. Red states will ban it, blue states will make it easy. You may have to road trip two states over. do you see a different outcome?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In pushing the issue to states rights, there won't be a national ban. Red states will ban it, blue states will make it easy. You may have to road trip two states over. do you see a different outcome?
    When people are speaking of a national ban, they're not referring to it being a direct result of this Supreme Court decision.  They're talking about what they're expecting from the GOP if they manage to secure both houses of Congress and the White House in 2024.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited May 2022
    Options
    What about poor people. 
    Also women in abusive relationships that can’t  just sneak away for a couple of days. 

Also women in a neonatal or when the baby is non sustainable and giving birth Risks  the mothers life. 

Need more examples?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    If it goes to states rights I thought that takes it out of congress’ reach. 
    Charleston, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Should a woman have the freedom to make choices about her body in just blue states?  The Texas law allows any citizen to hunt down those that try fleeing to another state to get that type of health care.  

I respect those that choose to carry that unwanted pregnancy….especially if it was from rape from a family member or may risk the mother’s life.  But should the government force women by making their choice illegal?

Options
    I’ve been on different sides of this issue at different times in my life, an incredibly difficult issue. I’m more for the government staying out of it, I don’t want the government supporting it or banning it. Let citizens make their own decisions.
    The libertarian side of me is winning right now.
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If it goes to states rights I thought that takes it out of congress’ reach. 
    There are federal laws that apply to all states.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve been on different sides of this issue at different times in my life, an incredibly difficult issue. I’m more for the government staying out of it, I don’t want the government supporting it or banning it. Let citizens make their own decisions.
    The libertarian side of me is winning right now.
    Wouldn’t the libertarian view be supportive of letting people have a right to abortion, and leaving it up to them in terms of whether or not they choose to exercise it?