Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken ~ Hardest cook I've done

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336

Weirdest too.
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Canugghead is the resident expert on that cook.  He debones and creates his own as well.  
    What is the verdict besides weird?  Looks like a nice finish right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Came out good.  Different.  A lot of work but for the different factor nice.  Not sure if I'd do it again.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Points for not doing this at Thanksgiving !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Your looks great!!  I like buying them from the cajun food places but don't find them amazing enough to put in the work to make my own. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice work, JD. Glad to see the injury isn’t slowing you down!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    Looks great, for me the hardest part was deboning the turkey. Love the luscious skin. What IT did you pull at, how was the outer turkey layer?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Canugghead is the resident expert on that cook.  He debones and creates his own as well.  
    What is the verdict besides weird?  Looks like a nice finish right there.  
    Wouldn’t call myself expert  :) 
    If anything I did it in a more weird unusual way: roll/tied and cooked the three nested  birds one at a time, working inside out.
    It was to get it off my bucket list, not sure if/when I’ll do another one before kicking the bucket 😂
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Points for not doing this at Thanksgiving !
    fwiw, I did it at Christmas and I had no time nor energy left to cook anything else  :)
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Love a good Turducken but have not tried one on the egg, seems like that would be the one thing I would screw up when it was needed most.

Looks like yours turned out darn well, congrats for keeping it together during a 'weird' cook, ha.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • jdMyers
    Options
    I used the the basics for turkey.  Used a pop up breast plastic timer and a probe.  I figured when the turkey was done everything else was too.  Pulled when pop kicked out, probe read 169 almost everywhere.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    I’m impressed.  I would not even attempt this. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I'm with @JohnInCarolina . I can barely get thru the Jacques Pepin debone chix adventure, never mind the upsizing.  Extremely well played.  
    Given how long I wrestle with that chix you must have had to clear the calendar to prepare that package.  Impressive-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.