Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apparently I’m a meat snob

Options
After a busy day doing yard work I got it in my head that I wanted some porterhouse, but the store didn’t have prime and I was too tied to go another store. The butcher cut some nice thick steaks, but it was select. Man can you ever tell the difference. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Yep.  The quality of the starting product plays a huge role.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Those sure look good.  So, it seems that if you don't love them it is not because they weren't prepped and cook right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited April 2022
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I have owned that very JACCARD ever since it was recommended in Cook’s Illustrated. It really works great doing what a meat tenderizer is meant to do…BUT it sure doesn’t turn tough old beef in to prime!

BTW the backside of that JACCARD has 3 metal machine screws and in order to clean it properly you really need to take it apart after EVERY use. Some people just put theirs in a dish washer and I tried that once and after seeing the hidden and THEN baked in meat protein I never cleaned it that way again. Now I can “field strip” and properly clean it in about 11 - 12 minutes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @RRP I have the same Jaccard.  You are a mechanical genius if you can "field strip" and reassemble that in under 15 minutes. Spring compression begs for the third hand.  BTW- I learned early on that if you don't drive the blades all the way to the handle, you don't have to give it the full up cleaning every use.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP I have the same Jaccard.  You are a mechanical genius if you can "field strip" and reassemble that in under 15 minutes. Spring compression begs for the third hand.  BTW- I learned early on that if you don't drive the blades all the way to the handle, you don't have to give it the full up cleaning every use.  YMMV-
    LOL…the secret is laying a 1/8” thick piece of wood on the counter. That is the ideal height to hold the base of your JACCARD to keep it at ease so that you can remove those 3 bolts and keep those springs from shooting those 2 T inserts. Re-assembly is also easy after clean up simply done in reverse!

BTW I also have learned that using a mushroom brush makes cleaning all those sharp blades EASY!

i guess in closing…I should say…buying/using/cleaning a JACCARD just MIGHT not be for everyone! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    LOL…the secret is laying a 1/8” thick piece of wood on the counter. That is the ideal height to hold the base of your JACCARD to keep it at ease so that you can remove those 3 bolts and keep those springs from shooting those 2 T inserts. Re-assembly is also easy after clean up simply done in reverse!

BTW I also have learned that using a mushroom brush makes cleaning all those sharp blades EASY!

i guess in closing…I should say…buying/using/cleaning a JACCARD just MIGHT not be for everyone! 
    You've convinced me for sure.  Any device that requires that much discussion on how to clean it is not something I'll find myself wanting to use very often.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:

You've convinced me for sure.  Any device that requires that much discussion on how to clean it is not something I'll find myself wanting to use very often.

End qoute.

I'm with you. No way would I properly clean that.
  • RRP
    Options
    Sorry if I scared off even ONE person from using a JACCARD. I am NOT a germaphobe, but after having about died from food poisoning once in my life then I will NEVER chance that again.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    You convinced me of two things:
    1. don't buy low quality meat
    2. don't buy a jaccard. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I only buy Grass Fed/Finished !!!
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe