Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Smoke in Forever!

Options
Here we go - 5.5# bone-in butt. Slathered in yellow mustard to hold as much Montreal Steak Seasoning as it could take. Based on looking over previous posts, am shooting for 225-250 dome temp. Internal temp of about 200 for removal. Working off temp, not time. Any other suggestions? I think pic is coming through upside down, any suggestions on how to keep that from happening?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    resize the picture a tiny bit

Options
    Looks good.  It’s done when it probes like “buttah”.  Somewhere between 190 and 210. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Plan sounds great.  If you get in a time crunch, pork butts are very forgiving and depending on how the cook is moving along, you can go up to 350 with no loss in quality. I am doing a 10 lbs turbo style cook today and will run at 350 the whole time- should be done in 5+ hrs. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    Let’s see, paqman, Wolfpack and Foghorn collectively have about 15k posts. If I can’t trust them, whom can I trust? Many thanks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As above, when it probes smooth you are there.  Another great finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean.  FWIW-
    In my case, post counts mean I am old and need more in life.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    Here is where we are at this point. Cook thermometer showed 196. Checked with Thermapen and showed 185. Gonna bump up the heat a little and leave in a bit longer. I would say the Th’pen probed easily but not like buttah.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Looks good, the Montreal Steak Seasoning is an interesting choice!

Options
    Glad your first smoke in a long time turned out good.  I've never used MSS on pork. How was the flavor?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Let’s see, paqman, Wolfpack and Foghorn collectively have about 15k posts. If I can’t trust them, whom can I trust? Many thanks.
    Glad it went well.  With said, volume of information and quality of information are not necessarily proportional...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Check out turbo cooking for butts. I really like this method as it cuts down the cook time considerably and still get great results!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Glad it went well.  With said, volume of information and quality of information are not necessarily proportional...
    I resemble that comment! B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Check out turbo cooking for butts. I really like this method as it cuts down the cook time considerably and still get great results!
    Agree 100%.  Do all my pork butts at 300, and they turn out perfect.  As JIC and Carey (and all their fanboys) say: “rant reviews”.  What a bunch of dumbasses!  
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,655
    Options
    @littlerascal56 I don’t know if I should point out that you should not drink and social media or continue to let you make a ass out of yourself… either way you should definitely take a break from this forum it’s obviously more than you can currently handle.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If a new @whiskeyclown troll account shows up that only posts while hammered after midnight, it’s not me…promise 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Glad your first smoke in a long time turned out good.  I've never used MSS on pork. How was the flavor?
    The flavor was excellent! When you pull the pork and blend the MSS in, it is just the right amount of heat.