Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at pastrami

Options
Hello, fellow Eggers. As the topic states, I'm doing a pastrami tomorrow. I purchased 2 corned beef brisket points from Aldi. They're both right at 3.75lb. They're currently in a water bath. 
My plan: change the water every 3 or so hours. I'll leave them in the water for 9 or so hours. I'll then pat them dry and put on a light coating of my beef rub (salt, pepper, but of garlic, bit of pepper). Store in the refrigerator, uncovered, overnight. 
Fire up the Egg around 5am tomorrow. Have the blue smoke gone and temp stabilized at 250. Put the beef on by 6:30. Wrap in butcher paper when internal temp reaches 165. Remove from Egg at 203 or when probes with no resistance. Towel and cooler till dinner. 

Does this look like a solid plan? Should I omit the salt when putting my rub on? 
Does anyone know a general time on how long these should take at 250? I know it can vary with the stall. 

I look forward to being more active on here. I joined when I first got my BGE in 2013, but I haven't been logged in since probably 2014. 
St. Louis, MO

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,807
    Options
    skip the salt in the rub. the salt in the pastrami rises to the top during the cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Welcome Back! Personally I would omit the salt and would get some coriander
    on there

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  has pastrami dialed in, Holy Grail Pastrami HERE

but you plan is solid using corned beef 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @jcwhammie I make pastrami several times a year and it comes out outstanding.  I use the amazingribs.com sous vide recipe.  The course rub is wonderful and I have experimented with the SV time and temp to deliver a more moist product.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    jcwhammie said:
    Hello, fellow Eggers. As the topic states, I'm doing a pastrami tomorrow. I purchased 2 corned beef brisket points from Aldi. They're both right at 3.75lb. They're currently in a water bath. 
    My plan: change the water every 3 or so hours. I'll leave them in the water for 9 or so hours. I'll then pat them dry and put on a light coating of my beef rub (salt, pepper, but of garlic, bit of pepper). Store in the refrigerator, uncovered, overnight. 
    Fire up the Egg around 5am tomorrow. Have the blue smoke gone and temp stabilized at 250. Put the beef on by 6:30. Wrap in butcher paper when internal temp reaches 165. Remove from Egg at 203 or when probes with no resistance. Towel and cooler till dinner. 

Does this look like a solid plan? Should I omit the salt when putting my rub on? 
    Does anyone know a general time on how long these should take at 250? I know it can vary with the stall. 

I look forward to being more active on here. I joined when I first got my BGE in 2013, but I haven't been logged in since probably 2014. 
    What's the 9 he water bath do?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    jcwhammie said:

its a store bought corned beef, made for a boiled dinner. too much salt for a low and slow in the egg, soaking it in water removes some salt and i soak those overnight
    fukahwee maine

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited March 2022
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    jcwhammie said:

its a store bought corned beef, made for a boiled dinner. too much salt for a low and slow in the egg, soaking it in water removes some salt and i soak those overnight
    Makes sense. That also explains the changing of the water.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Rub needs coriander for pastrami, IMO.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:
    jcwhammie said:

Makes sense. That also explains the changing of the water.

the salt that doesnt soak out will rise to the surface during the low and slow, the reason not to add salt to the rub. for the rub its basic, pepper garlic coriander.  ill add crushed garlic during the soaking process as well
    fukahwee maine

• Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    The water bath allows you to tenderize it while maintaining moisture.  The traditional process requires steaming or pressure cooking until tender.  I find it much easier to control the outcome with the SV.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you use much more than a gallon of water for the soak, changing the water doesn't really help much.  Not a big deal, I know, but I've done this a bunch of times and unless you can taste salt in the soaking water, the concentration of the salt in the meat is so high and water so low that it is pretty insignificant.
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Welcome Back! Personally I would omit the salt and would get some coriander
    on there

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  has pastrami dialed in, Holy Grail Pastrami HERE

but you plan is solid using corned beef 
    +1. 

I don’t have much to say re: pastrami, but coarse ground coriander wins on beef. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.