Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paging forum members in the GWN-looking for perspective on the anti vax rallies

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,410
An article I have read among others about what is going on but I know there are some here who live in Ottawa and surrounding areas.  What say you?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/07/ottawa-protests-explainer-vaccine-mandates-whats-next  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    I'm not Canadian but I did eat poutine for most of a week.  Beau had an interesting take on the whole situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzFo6-xO4Q

TL;DW:  He pointed out the irony of the Mango Mussolini's cult members screaming for years to secure the US's southern border, while now demanding free and unfettered access across the US's northern border.  :lol:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks @Botch-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As with most Ottawa residents, I have been watching the events unfold with surprise. Ottawa is generally deemed to be a relatively sleepy city of about 1300000 (in the greater area). While we do get our share of protests given Ottawa is the nation’s Capital and the seat of our federal government and political sphere, the smaller scale events we generally see feature lawful and peaceful rallies in our downtown core absent any drama or need for police intervention. 

I am not in the very heart of the action but am outside of the hotspot by a five minute drive. We do see some of the convoy members on the roads and in parking lots, and we’ll be likely to see many more with the current attempts to move the protests to a baseball field a few minutes closer to our place.  An employee on my team is in the thick of it, and has reported feeling very unsafe in her own home. Honking, fireworks, yelling, altercations, arson, etc. Coincidentally, I had a dream last week that I too lived in the thick of it. In my dream, it was the middle of the night and I was boarding up windows to try to keep my family safe from protestors trying to get in. Most disturbing recently was the setting of a fire to an apartment building whereby the perpetrators attempted to barricade some residents inside. 

I am someone who can accept and respect other people’s points of view, so I try not to judge others for holding beliefs that don’t align with my own. I know of a few personal acquaintances who have reportedly been out protesting. That being said, I think there is stark contrast between expressing one’s views in a peaceful manner and in using unlawful techniques such as intimidation and violence to push one’s agenda. I recognize that the current protests are a mix of these two approaches and I think the major failings in controlling the protests up to present have been the lack of this distinction.  Of course, it doesn’t help that all levels of government are pointing the finger at one another while they consider each party’s responsibility as a function of jurisdiction. Our police chief, Peter Sloly, has come under significant criticism for the handling of the protests thus far and I fully expect that his leadership will be rightly scrutinized for the decisions having been made, or those not having been made, up until now. 

Will be interesting to see what kind of turn this takes now that the police are upping their response. I hope for a peaceful resolution for all. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I did not see a MAGA infection in Canada coming.....
    Options
    I feel for you folks @GrateEggspectations Toronto had the benefit of learning from what transpired a week earlier in Ottawa, police proactively blocked off truck access within about one block radius of the provincial legislature and several major hospitals nearby. It sort of fizzled out after the weekend.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Sad but not surprising that what started out as protest against requirement for unvaccinated truckers to quarantine after returning to Canada has morphed beyond recognition.

I suppose Wolverine has the birthright to interfere. How about working on removing US restrictions that deprive these truckers the freedom to enter US in the first place?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-ottawa-vaccine-truckers-protest_n_6200985be4b0725faacbd834 

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sad but not surprising that what started out as protest against requirement for unvaccinated truckers to quarantine after returning to Canada has morphed beyond recognition.

I suppose Wolverine has the birthright to interfere. How about working on removing US restrictions that deprive these truckers the freedom to enter US in the first place?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-ottawa-vaccine-truckers-protest_n_6200985be4b0725faacbd834 

The Bearded Boy Blunder is such a tool....

This ultra right wing authoritarian movement is spreading all over the world.   Except maybe Belaruse, sice they are already there.
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    This all seems like pretty awful behavior from a small minority of people who are overly upset about being told what to do in the interests of public health. I’m not sure honking horns throughout the night is a great way to get people to share your perspective…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The honking does not foster sympathy, but the opposite.  They need a new marketing guy...maybe Alex Jones?
    Thanks, @Canugghead. Really, it hasn’t had much discernible impact for me personally. My wife and I don’t have to commute downtown at present. Honestly, the one tangible impact it has had on me is that I avoided going to the speciality coffee shop where I need to pick up a $1 o-ring for the steam wand on my espresso machine. It still works fine without the o-ring, but I don’t like knowing it’s missing. Doesn’t really even impact the finished product. 🙂 Otherwise, I’m just really seeing events unfold on the news the way the rest of you are, except that my tax dollars are being spent addressing the scenario (800000 Canuck bucks or so a day, the last time I heard). 

Now that the honking injunction is in place, I understand from a coworker that it’s much quieter in the downtown core. 

I feel like we should be printing dull grey (note the Canadian spelling) caps reading “Make Ottawa Boring Again.” Maybe a MOBA wave could help turn the tide. 
  • lousubcap
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations and @Canugghead thanks for the above insights.  
    And @GrateEggspectations, I grew up being told grEy was an across the pond spelling and grAy was American.  Canada is truly North American so I failed to recognize the historical world-wide impact of the Empire.
    All, stay healthy and safe out there.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Canada's police are fining the truckers for "excessive honking," and yet Canada geese continue their lawless mayhem.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Options
    The geese sh!t everywhere too. 
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I still say all Canadian truckers have to do to make their point is to park their trucks for a week. Maybe in Costco parking lots with signs on the side that say “ on strike” or maybe just at home. It’s a point that I disagree with but they will have Trudeau by the short and curlies.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the party would have been more fun in the summer,  who organized this

Freedom Rally39 truckers convoy hits Ontario  picking up Conservative  political support as it rolls  The Star

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    the party would have been more fun in the summer,  who organized this

Freedom Rally39 truckers convoy hits Ontario  picking up Conservative  political support as it rolls  The Star

The financial backers are apparently some wealthy folks from the southern US who don’t think good.
  • Botch
    Options
    According to CBS this morning, some of the big rigs are planning on blocking LA for Super Bowl Sunday.
    This could get ugly.   :s 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Botch said:
    According to CBS this morning, some of the big rigs are planning on blocking LA for Super Bowl Sunday.
    Lots of alphabets involved with SB security. Super Bad idea. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    Maybe we could work out a deal where the gubment supplies, free of charge, an IV bag filled with virus for each trucker to hang in his cab....and a CD (or free download) of AC/DC's Highway to Hell.
    Botch said:
    "Hey guys, I know what will get the American public behind us, making a mess of the Super Bowl!!!" - said nobody, ever
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Botch said:
    "Hey guys, I know what will get the American public behind us, making a mess of the Super Bowl!!!" - said nobody, ever
    A true FAAFO opportunity. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Botch said:
    I thought the righteous majority already stopped watching football after Kaepernick's blatant treason.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Wondering what percentage of truck drivers participating in the blockade(s)  thought a year or so ago that the BLM protesters then marching in the highways and blocking traffic should be run over?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Wondering what percentage of truck drivers participating in the blockade(s)  thought a year or so ago that the BLM protesters then marching in the highways and blocking traffic should be run over?
    The "ironies" have come fast and thick, these last few years.   ;)

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

im just waiting for the truck drivers to burn down the court houses =)
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Options
    or police precincts
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    how dare these truckers bring their children to beep the horns.....we need more police says the county mountie 
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    how dare these truckers bring their children to beep the horns.....we need more police says the county mountie 

The Finest 1911 Pistol Classy and Luxurious And Super-Elegant The Best  Lavender Room Slowtwitch Forums
    Options
    after seeing what the truckers did,  russia brought their kids along for a ride.  oh, no, what are we going to do now

fukahwee maine