Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Emergency - SOS!

Options
I have a 8 lb packer’s brisket that someone kindly cut the fat cap off of. 😱😬 How can I keep this slab o’ beefy goodness from getting as dry as shoe leather?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I'm no expert, but injecting might help . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @lousubcap to the rescue, hopefully he is in still in leo and not escape velocity.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    If it is truly a packer, and not just a flat, then it should be fine.  I trim the fat cap off mine, too.

If you are worried, then @loco_engr is correct, just inject that bad-boy and wrap for the finish.

Keep the temps low (<275° dome) and pull when tender.  Inject, and add some broth when wrapping in foil to keep it moist.  Worst case, you chop it and sauce the heck out of it!

Good luck!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I did a couple of those when I only had pellet grills.  I smoked them at 230 for several hours, them wrapped in foil with beer.  Turned grill up to 275. Took them to 203 internal and they turned out super moist. Not much bark, but still damn good brisket.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The external fat cap has nothing to do with internal moisture. The fat cap, when handled properly, binds the salt/pepper/fat into the best bite on the brisket, but its all about flavor. Having zero fat cap deprives you of that “sugar cookie” bite that makes brisket so special but you can still cook a moist brisket without it. 

What makes brisket moist is the broken down connective tissue and rendered intramuscular fat (the marbling). The fat cap does not melt back into the meat or anything like that. Its all about flavor. 

The one thing it does do is protect the outside layer if meat from getting leathery/crispy for too much heat/smoke exposure. I have never cooked a brisket without a fat cap but if i had to, i would cook until the bark set and wrap as soon as it did. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Can you post a photo of your brisket. Not poking fun, but never seen a packer that small. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Can you post a photo of your brisket. Not poking fun, but never seen a packer that small. 
    I was trying to say that, without saying that.  That's a tiny packer.  

Size does matter.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Listen to @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  He is the brisket whisperer.  I'd probably get a little chicken and wrap a little early - during the stall - before the bark was truly set - to err on the side of "moist meat" over "good bark".  I'm not saying that's the optimal thing to do, it's just what I'd probably do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• crog1967
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

• Foghorn
    Options
    OK.  That looks like the side that is supposed to be "lean".  Do you have a pic of the other side?  

If I'm seeing things correctly (I may not be) the thick strip of fat in the upper right of the meat is the fat layer between the two muscles that make up the brisket - and the meat to the right of it is the "point" meat that is fattier.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Late to the party but @The Cen-Tex Smoker and @Foghorn have addressed it better than anything I could add.  As with Foghorn- mosist brisket over bark every time.  Still in LEO- but cruising in a splendid state.  🥃
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • crog1967
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    OK.  That looks like the side that is supposed to be "lean".  Do you have a pic of the other side?  

If I'm seeing things correctly (I may not be) the thick strip of fat in the upper right of the meat is the fat layer between the two muscles that make up the brisket - and the meat to the right of it is the "point" meat that is fattier.

• Foghorn
    Options
    crog1967 said:
    Foghorn said:

Yep.  That's the side that is supposed to have a layer (1/4" after trimming) of fat on it.  The muscle on the far left is the "flat" muscle (pec major) and the rest is the "point" muscle (pec minor).   As CenTex suggested, this is not just a "flat" - so there should be enough fat between the muscles and in the point to get a decent cook out of this.  Do what he says.  If you get chicken, consider wrapping a little earlier and/or adding some moisture when you do.

San Antonio, TX

• crog1967
    Options
    Thank you all so much! This is my second attempt at brisket. The first time I just did the flat. My wife was trying to be helpful and “prepped” it for me. Can’t really get mad, she was just being her normal sweet self.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    and the finished results were what?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    Options
    A pic for future reference:  FWIW-
    How to Separate a Brisket Point and Flat  Oklahoma Joe39s
    BTW- Nice marbling there.  Just go with the feel and enjoy the ride.  Always remember, "The cow drives the cook."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • crog1967
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    A bit dry. I waited too late to wrap it, I think.
  • tanner
    Options
    Hey look up hot and fast bye Harry Soo he will show you how.
  • crog1967
    Options
    I’ll post photos of the finished product tomorrow. Thanks again for all your advice!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    PM sent with some info that you may find useful on the next one.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keep at it. It took me so many to finally figure it out. I’m embarrassed to say how many I murdered trying to understand it. It was pre-internet/ forums so it was all trial and error. You are way ahead of the curve but it still takes effing up a few to get it right. 

I tell everyone who asks my opinion: the biggest mistake most people make when cooking brisket is at the grocery store. If you don’t know what to look for, you are behind the 8-ball from the start. 

The cook can seem daunting but once you understand the basics, it’s all about choosing the right brisket and trimming it correctly. I’m sure @l@lousubcap or any of the other brisket pros would be happy to walk you through that. I don’t cook nearly as many as I used to but I will be glad to chat with you any time. Pm any of us and we will be glad to pass the baton. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    BTW @crog1967 welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    BTW @crog1967 welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    *agree button
  • Foghorn
    Options
    How did it turn out?

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    How did it turn out?
    Popped in for advice, then disappeared.  We will be left to wonder.  Such is the life of an internet "Help Line"
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    crog1967 said:
    loco_engr said:
    A bit dry. I waited too late to wrap it, I think.

South of Columbus, Ohio.