Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peanuts in Coke?

Options

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Cheerwine anyone? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,115
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:
    I wonder how many eggers here have ever tasted Coca-Cola made In Mexico! I don’t buy it often but it is so much better than that Coca-Cola crap forced on us in the US!
    I've seen it in the local hispanic market, but I'm not into sweet (nor CC, for that matter).  Would may be interesting to marinate a chunk of ham in it, before smoking.  
    I use the Mexican coke for my carnitas.  You have to be careful though, Mexico has started using corn syrup, so you have to check the bottle to make sure the stuff being offered is cane sugar.

If I cannot find Mexican coke with cane sugar, I use orange soda like fanta.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Cheerwine anyone? 

@tarheelmatt
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Cheerwine anyone? 
    Absolutley, just not with peanuts.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I tried it today. Not terrible, not great either. Don’t quite get how this came to be a thing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Options
    caliking said:
    I tried it today. Not terrible, not great either. Don’t quite get how this came to be a thing. 

Agreed. I do think part of it is the bottle though. It isn't supposed to be peanut cereal. Or peanut latte. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    caliking said:

Well for one thing - if you were using the USA made Coca-Cola that is not made with real sugar. To me it does not hold a candle to the Mexican made Coca-Cola that I grew up using and enjoying the peanuts stuffed in the bottle.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

Well for one thing - if you were using the USA made Coca-Cola that is not made with real sugar. To me it does not hold a candle to the Mexican made Coca-Cola that I grew up using and enjoying the peanuts stuffed in the bottle.

Mexican Coke is readily available here. The grocery stores stock it. It does indeed taste better than US made Coke.  But, I’m fairly certain that trying this with Mexican Coke will not be that different. 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Be careful with Mexican Coke.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Peanuts n beer yes but peanuts and Mexican Coke I dunno 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I’m pretty sure there is at least one Netflix series about Mexican Coke. Maybe more.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    The peanuts have to be very finely ground.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • caliking
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Be careful with Mexican Coke.
    Mexican Coke is a helluva drug soda pop.

• RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

Mexican Coke is readily available here. The grocery stores stock it. It does indeed taste better than US made Coke.  But, I’m fairly certain that trying this with Mexican Coke will not be that different. 
    Fine…Doc, but. honestly your picture looks like you used a ceramic cereal bowl and poured in some Coke. What I and at least a few others have said we are/were talking about stuffing some Planter’s salted peanuts down the small neck of an original sugar ingredient Coca-Cola bottle! 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If you know where your “Coke”originated your in pretty deep already.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I could be wrong Ron, but it sounds like you might have a wee coke problem.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    and @caliking I’ll join the chorus, wtf with the coke in the coffee cup?  
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    All y'all wrong...peanuts belong in Dr. Pepper...in a bottle
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

Fine…Doc, but. honestly your picture looks like you used a ceramic cereal bowl and poured in some Coke. What I and at least a few others have said we are/were talking about stuffing some Planter’s salted peanuts down the small neck of an original sugar ingredient Coca-Cola bottle! 
    For the record, paper cup + diet Coke + Planter's peanuts. =) The horror!

My opinion remains as stated. I get that nostalgia impacts memories of flavor/taste. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Drinking a bottle of coke, with peanuts in it, I know would make me gag when one slips past my mouth without being chewed, into my throat.  

I'll stick with a stuffed olive dropped into a glass of beer (back in college, without any intranetz Pr0n, seeing the olive sink, collect bubbles, float to the top, pop the bubbles, and sink again, was the best entertainment we had if we didn't have a date).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    I could be wrong Ron, but it sounds like you might have a wee coke problem.
    LOL…no, Sir, but, no I don’t know why I’m still even defending this! 

I’moutahere!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    caliking said:
    My opinion remains as stated. I get that nostalgia impacts memories of flavor/taste. 

This Christmas my family had a craving for apple cider which has never been a thing in the past. So I pick up some real deal apple cider from the grocery store. My wife pulls out the apple cider and asks if she should make some? I asked her if we had any styrofoam cups? She says, "No, I'll just use glass cups." I'm sorry but that's not how we roll here at the house. Hot apple cider in anything but a styrofoam cup is just wrong. Styrofoam cups it was. 

I 100% agree with that comment above. ^^^^^^

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

For the record, paper cup + diet Coke + Planter's peanuts. =) The horror!

Paper cup is fine, no ice is fine, warm coke is ok, but DIET! Coke?  You have gone a bridge too far .

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It was was the rage in the mid 70’s.  But we bought a RC Cola for .25, and a handful of peanuts out of the vending machine/dispenser for .05.  Dumped the handful of peanuts in the RC Cola bottle!  It was awesome!  I still like it, but use Diet Coke now. 
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    It was was the rage in the mid 70’s.  But we bought a RC Cola for .25, and a handful of peanuts out of the dispenser for .05.  Dumped the handful of peanuts in the RC Cola bottle!  It was awesome!  
    Thank you for your input.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thank you for reading it Carey!  It made my day! Knew you would read it, as you and John get 1 minute updates on every post on this forum.  Don’t miss a thing!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Road trip to the Mexican grocery was a success.  Enjoying a late afternoon beverage (with nourishment included) and the 60*F temperature.

Been greater than a half-century since I enjoyed that.  No worries, grabbed a few bottles.  
    That looks amazing.  I might have to break my no soda rule and try it.  You should be a salesman.
  • Elijah
    Options
    Just don't put it in a coffee cup
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Does anyone know of an ETF I can buy that specializes in Coke, peanuts, and styrofoam cups cuz this forum is about to make those stocks pop! 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL