Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enameled cast iron pots

Options
Hey everyone I’ve been making a bad ass chili lately (Been following the mat church video on it). I’m looking to step up my game and buy a cast iron pot and maybe even a enameled one. I’m wondering have any of you guys used a enameled iron pot in an egg? Does it do any harm? They’re very expensive so before I possibly buy one I want to make sure everything good to go.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    bought an inexpensive one from marshalls home goods years ago, for the egg it works just as good as the pricey ones which i use now indoors. if you go the lodge route, the cover fits the regular ci fry pans which comes in handy. my lecreuset stuff doesnt go in the egg anymore. for the convenience of the lodge cover, i would go that route
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    The outside will get stained from using it on the egg. Like fish, I have a cheap-o that is strictly used on the eggs
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options
    Ya I was planning to get the lecreuset enameled Dutch over but they’re like 300+. I’ll look at lodge enameled and use it in the egg, I think they’re a lot cheaper. Just wanted to make sure they don’t chip or anything.

I use a ss Dutch over in the egg and the outside of it has miss colored. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    The outside will get stained from using it on the egg. Like fish, I have a cheap-o that is strictly used on the eggs
    Bar Keeper Friend cleans up the outsides of the enamel pans like new in a flash. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,100
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Bar Keeper Friend cleans up the outsides of the enamel pans like new in a flash. 
    Does it scratch at all?  I too have an inexpensive pot I use on the egg, but I keep my Staubs far away.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    They don't chip or anything, but as @ColtsFan said, they do stain, and you can get them clean, but it took me 20 minutes and a second fill of hot water in the sink to do so.
    For smoked chili, I buy a chunk of chuck or a 7-bone roast, throw it on a clean-burning egg straight out of the frig (the cold meat supposedly gets more smoke vapor to condense on it), and bring it up to 100˚or so (I'm not sure the final temp is critical).  Remove, let cool, then cut into 3/4" chunks, make the chili on the stove.  You can throw tomato halves, onion halves, jalapeños, etc on the grate too if you want.  I used to make a specific recipe for chili but I just wing it now, no two are the same.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The Lodge enameled DO's get good reviews. I've had a  cheapo Tramontina 6qt for almost 15yrs now, that gets the most use. Some discoloration from being on the egg a few times, but I'm not planning on entering it in any beauty contests. No chips or other defects in the enamel. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Botch said:
    They don't chip or anything, but as @ColtsFan said, they do stain, and you can get them clean, but it took me 20 minutes and a second fill of hot water in the sink to do so.
    For smoked chili, I buy a chunk of chuck or a 7-bone roast, throw it on a clean-burning egg straight out of the frig (the cold meat supposedly gets more smoke vapor to condense on it), and bring it up to 100˚or so (I'm not sure the final temp is critical).  Remove, let cool, then cut into 3/4" chunks, make the chili on the stove.  You can throw tomato halves, onion halves, jalapeños, etc on the grate too if you want.  I used to make a specific recipe for chili but I just wing it now, no two are the same.  
    I do a 4lbs chuck roast for 3 hours and hit it with smoke in the egg. The next day I add all my ingredients and the roast to the chili and smoke the chili lid open in a Dutch oven for 8 hours. The meat literally falls apart and everything taste so damn good. Only thing that can make this chili better is a beautiful enameled Dutch oven.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    The Lodge enameled DO's get good reviews. I've had a  cheapo Tramontina 6qt for almost 15yrs now, that gets the most use. Some discoloration from being on the egg a few times, but I'm not planning on entering it in any beauty contests. No chips or other defects in the enamel. 
    That’s great that you have had a enameled  Dutch oven for 15 years and used it in the egg without any problems. Pretty soon I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one. 
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Botch said:
    I do a 4lbs chuck roast for 3 hours and hit it with smoke in the egg. The next day I add all my ingredients and the roast to the chili and smoke the chili lid open in a Dutch oven for 8 hours. The meat literally falls apart and everything taste so damn good. Only thing that can make this chili better is a beautiful enameled Dutch oven.

if you are going for the best, the staubs interior is dark and does not stain like the white interior of the lecreusett or lodge. the higher priced ones are more precise in thickness and their only benefit that ive seen is when using them on a simmer plate, not over the flame or in the oven. i use those alot in the oven as well as the cheaper ones. the lodge is a bargain for looks and function and priced right for outdoor use
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Botch said:

if you are going for the best, the staubs interior is dark and does not stain like the white interior of the lecreusett or lodge. the higher priced ones are more precise in thickness and their only benefit that ive seen is when using them on a simmer plate, not over the flame or in the oven. i use those alot in the oven as well as the cheaper ones. the lodge is a bargain for looks and function and priced right for outdoor use
    The Staubs are also lighter.  I find, even on my gas stove top they heat more evenly than my cheaper enameled pots.  It may be a placebo, but I love cooking with them.  They are like driving a nice sports car.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Does it scratch at all?  I too have an inexpensive pot I use on the egg, but I keep my Staubs far away.
    You really shouldn’t be able to scratch a good ceramic coating. I haven’t noticed any I’ll effects. I do understand wanting to keep things nice, but it is cookware. A tool by definition. Try it on your cheapo one first. I have mostly modest priced pieces anyway. No big deal either way for me personally. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Botch said:

The Staubs are also lighter.  I find, even on my gas stove top they heat more evenly than my cheaper enameled pots.  It may be a placebo, but I love cooking with them.  They are like driving a nice sports car.

big braiser lecresett gets the most use here, more surface area to brown on top in the oven when braising. chowder goes to my copper tin lined pot, dont know how anyone makes a chowder with any other pot ;) lodge and the marshalls pot are at camp and im not as concerned if anyone kills them. what ive seen kill enamel is lye for pretzel baths, dry rice or pasta dropped into boiling water sticking to the bottom popping the enamel.
    fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    My Lodge has spent a ton of time in the egg (Chili, Pepper Stout Beef) and it still looks new.  I have used @pgprescott's method of Bar-Keeper's Friend. It doesn't scratch the enamel.  It literally brings it back to like-new.  I also use a "magic eraser" to get any stains off.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    This one has been used quite a bit. The lid has doubled as a saute pan as well.
    Also enameled covered cast iron is user-friendlier vs seasoned cast Iron.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    My Lodge has spent a ton of time in the egg (Chili, Pepper Stout Beef) and it still looks new.  I have used @pgprescott's method of Bar-Keeper's Friend. It doesn't scratch the enamel.  It literally brings it back to like-new.  I also use a "magic eraser" to get any stains off.

if the bottom inside starts to yellow/ brown, bleach overnight brings it back to white. just let it sit
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    caliking said:
    That’s great that you have had a enameled  Dutch oven for 15 years and used it in the egg without any problems. Pretty soon I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one. 
     Many folks wipe the outside with a thin layer of dish soap, to make cleanup easier. You could also wrap the bottom half of the DO in foil. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    Mr1egg said:
    caliking said:
     Many folks wipe the outside with a thin layer of dish soap, to make cleanup easier. You could also wrap the bottom half of the DO in foil. 
    I’ll be using this pot for sticky chili, but want to get one that i can pass down to my son. The big green egg Dutch oven seems really good but I’m wondering where it is made.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    at camp, type A personalities break down and clean the outside of the enameled pot. if thats what makes them happy...... =) i cant even watch, ill sit outside in the sun on the deck drinking a gin and tonic while this obscure behavior occurs
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    omg, theres wood smoke on my pot in the smoker
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not OCD but every once and a while I'll be in a manic phase and clean the outside of whatever pot I'm cleaning with barkeeper's friend or a metal polish.

I'll use the dutch ovens to bake bread now and then and they'll discolor from the high heat, I crank the oven up to 11.
    Options
    I'm not OCD but every once and a while I'll be in a manic phase and clean the outside of whatever pot I'm cleaning with barkeeper's friend or a metal polish.

I'll use the dutch ovens to bake bread now and then and they'll discolor from the high heat, I crank the oven up to 11.

this may cause me to have a drink....do i have a problem with.....smoke on my dutch oven
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I've found Stainless or even raw Aluminum is much better cookware for a grill than heavy cast iron. Lighter, more durable, easier to clean, no rust etc.  I've pretty much stopped using all my enameled Lodge stuff that I had dedicated for outdoor use and gave it away.  A big heavy raw cast iron pot of chili sure looks cooler, but it wont taste any different and comes with much more overhead & maintenance. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I've found Stainless or even raw Aluminum is much better cookware for a grill than heavy cast iron. Lighter, more durable, easier to clean, no rust etc.  I've pretty much stopped using all my enameled Lodge stuff that I had dedicated for outdoor use and gave it away.  A big heavy raw cast iron pot of chili sure looks cooler, but it wont taste any different and comes with much more overhead & maintenance. 
    I hate to say it, but I completely agree with u. I just think it would be fun to do. 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I use a lodge on my egg, stove top,  propane gas burner, gas grill, electric oven. 

Outside is nicer than the inside...

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Fish, I’ve tried boiling water, salt, scrubbing, etc to get the bottom inside of mine cleaned. It never worked. Pour an inch of bleach in there and let it sit and it looks brand new. Thank you. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Fish, I’ve tried boiling water, salt, scrubbing, etc to get the bottom inside of mine cleaned. It never worked. Pour an inch of bleach in there and let it sit and it looks brand new. Thank you. 

too easy, for some its more fun to work at it
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Diluted or just straight from the bottle?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Don't use it straight (laundry bleach is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite so it's not exactly straight).  Dilute, here's all you need to know about getting stains out of enameled cast iron:

Options
    Moleman said:
    Don't use it straight (laundry bleach is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite so it's not exactly straight).  Dilute, here's all you need to know about getting stains out of enameled cast iron:

ive only done it once with a lodge and didnt see any problems but if one were to do this every cook i could see problems. i could see some here bleaching every cook.   dont dip pretzels in lye in an enameled pot, it turns the bottom into 100 grit sandpaper and thats diluted stump cleaner, not straight up
    fukahwee maine