Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TIL - Gutter oil is a thing

Options
Today I learned that sewer oil is a thing in China. People scrap the oil out of traps in the sewers, boil off the liquid, then sell the oil to restaurants and food stalls.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
      🤮
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I thought I’d heard of shittty fried food before, but this is another story.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    That is something I do not need to know.  "What has been seen cannot be unseen."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm not watching that,  but I can't un-know it!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Some knowledge shouldn't be kept to oneself.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Flint, Michigan
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    “In our current society, everybody tries to swindle everybody else.  There’s nothing we can do about it”
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I guess you don’t have to believe, you just need to be compliant for it to work.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I used to work on the steam systems for a grease recycling service , pretty disgusting , don’t think this stuff made it into food, but it’s a thing here to, biodiesel and other things 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Kinda eeewww... but I presume its sterile, after all the boiling. Maybe one of the reasons why street food tastes so much better. 

I think I'd be ok with it. caliqueen said that she definitely would not be. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    caliking said:
    Kinda eeewww... but I presume its sterile, after all the boiling. Maybe one of the reasons why street food tastes so much better. 

I definitely would not be ok with it.  You can boil and steam ****.  It is still ****.  Imagine all the degreasers and cleaners and non-bio-mass junk that is in that too!  I imagine there is more than one used condom boiled in each batch.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Was this part of the TMNT origin story?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

Carcinogens can be plenty sterile while still not being something you want to consume.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:

Carcinogens can be plenty sterile while still not being something you want to consume.
    I suspect uranium is pretty sterile.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve had colleagues who have visited China for a scientific conference and had some real issues with the food there.  And these are seasoned international travelers.  

No thanks.  I have a very open mind when it comes to visiting foreign lands (know anyone else who has been to Karachi that isn’t in the military?) but I don’t have much of any interest visiting China.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’ve had colleagues who have visited China for a scientific conference and had some real issues with the food there.  And these are seasoned international travelers.  

No thanks.  I have a very open mind when it comes to visiting foreign lands (know anyone else who has been to Karachi that isn’t in the military?) but I don’t have much of any interest visiting China.  
    Yes. My grandmother, a Caucasian woman then in her early 90s (and not in the military), spent nearly half of every year in Karachi until just a few years back. Had a house there. The woman’s keema could melt your face…. And I like spicy. Was nearly inedible, but in the best way possible. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yes. My grandmother, a Caucasian woman then in her early 90s (and not in the military), spent nearly half of every year in Karachi until just a few years back. Had a house there. The woman’s keema could melt your face…. And I like spicy. Was nearly inedible, but in the best way possible. 
    That’s interesting.  What was your grandmother doing in Karachi?

With the food, I don’t actually remember it being all that spicy. But maybe the folks we were staying with eased things up a bit for the Yanks.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina: Her partner, whom she met while working at a university, was a Pakistani man who grew up in Germany - the accent was highly unique; just try to imagine it. 

They had a house in Karachi for many years. She had invited me, but it is far from the safest of cities.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina: Her partner, whom she met while working at a university, was a Pakistani man who grew up in Germany - the accent was highly unique; just try to imagine it. 

They had a house in Karachi for many years. She had invited me, but it is far from the safest of cities.
    I was there in 1992.  I never felt unsafe there, but we were with locals.  And obviously it was a different time.

Mostly what I remember is the smell of trash burning in the streets, the traffic (insane), and the beggars.  The poverty there was unlike anything I had ever seen or experienced.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - you really need to get out more! =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow this is truly revolting :open_mouth:
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - you really need to get out more! =)
    What can I say, I was 20 years old.  Most of my classmates were going home over the winter break.  
  • ValleyGirl
    Options
    Lived in Ghana in the 60's, nothing surprises me after that!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's not really a risk of live biological infection as this stuff is boiled, however there's also no control over what organic and inorganic contaminants come through the process.   Heavy metal organometallics and organics that are harmful like pesticides, herbicides, engine oils, various hydraulic fluids, fuels like kerosene, diesel, gasoline, etc. 

Looking retrospectively, I've noticed chemical smells from some Chinese canned foods. 

Thanks for the nightmare fuel.
    Options
    I've been there 36 times. As long as I stay away from ice and water, I am fine.  I have eaten so many things that were mis-represented, I refuse to think about it.  I know my colleagues have lied to me.

Gutter oil must not cause sickness or death, or the Chinese government would never let it out of a lab...
    Clinton, Iowa
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    caliking said:

I suspect uranium is pretty sterile.
    Uranium can be sterilizing in high enough doses
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    🤔