Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Sorta OT - Saving parmesan

BotchBotch Posts: 12,332
edited January 3 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know a trick to rescue a chunk of Parmesan cheese that's dried out?  I buy the real stuff in about a 3" chunk, but it often gets too hard to grate if it sits wrapped in the frig too long.  
I made spaghetti on NYE day, my cheese was hard and no way I was going to run to the market before NYE.  I tried microwaving the 1"-square for 45 seconds, it made a loud pop and deformed delightfully, but did not soften.
I do know not to throw those hard chunks out; if you drop one into a long-simmering pot of soup or stew, long enough, you can then fish out the rind and the cheese blends into the soup nicely.  

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 28,663
    when you buy it, chip it in half and freeze half. i always buy the smallest piece i can find but freezing would help.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ValleyGirlValleyGirl Posts: 47
    I find freezing parm dries it out, the parm that I make is cured for a minimum of 6 months and have left it for much longer.  Once it is cured it's vac packed and into the fridge.  I think your parm is only good now for as you say soups and sauces, sorry!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 28,663
    google says to grate it in a food processor, probably more like the stuff in those plastic kraft shakers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BotchBotch Posts: 12,332
    google says to grate it in a food processor, probably more like the stuff in those plastic kraft shakers
    As even my new/sharp Micro-Plane grater can't cut it, I'd fear destroying my food processor!  

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,809
    If your microplane won’t work then I would say keep it for soupe/pasta sauce.  I use the hard rind when making tomato sauce and it is awesome!

Next time, use more!

^^^^^Agree!^^^^^
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22"

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 4,763
    Maybe a good wack or two with a hammer? 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 16,066
    Vac seal it.

Either split it, and vac seal the half that will be used later, or vac seal the whole thing in a longer bag, so you can cut it open, use, then reseal using the same bag. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,530

for some reason I think of Saving SIlverman when I see the title 

Neil Diamond Saving Silverman GIF - Neil Diamond Saving Silverman GIFs
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon FatStack 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 8,751
    edited January 5
    lkapigian said:

for some reason I think of Saving SIlverman when I see the title 

Neil Diamond Saving Silverman GIF - Neil Diamond Saving Silverman GIFs
    When I fast scrolled the main page I thought I saw 'Saving paqman'

Honest @paqman :)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 12,974
    This should solve your problem.  Doesn't matter if it gets hard, it is already shaved.

If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

Some Eggs, some Weber stuff, the occasional Traeger, and various other things that make flames and hold coals.
  • BattlebornBattleborn Posts: 2,478
    This should solve your problem.  Doesn't matter if it gets hard, it is already shaved.

There is a great vulgar joke there, but I will refrain. 
    Las Vegas, NV

There is a great vulgar joke there, but I will refrain. 
    🤣 I should have reread my post.

Some Eggs, some Weber stuff, the occasional Traeger, and various other things that make flames and hold coals.
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,809
    🤣😂

Not quite what you had in mind, @Botch, I know but… food for thought?  ;)
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

Living large in the 919

If I was Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos, I would buy it all just as a joke.

• BotchBotch Posts: 12,332

About five years ago the local grocery chain, Harmon's, set up cheese kiosks in their stores, mine had 240 different cheeses, and I was in Heaven.  They also had one of those big wheels of Parmesan in the front, with chunks cut off for sale.  This was great, at first, but the last two I purchased were dried out/unusable, and I complained to the manager.  
    Apparently others had, too, as the wheels disappeared and individually-wrapped chunks, with a date, appeared and the quality much improved.  I'm thinking they started cutting into just one or two wheels at a central location, and distributing the chunks throughout the Salt Lake valley; I'm okay with that.