Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have/used the Aaron Franklin PK Grill yet?

Options
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don’t think it’s available to purchase yet. It does look cool though. I knew it was coming but this is the first I have actually seen what it looks like. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The new Ace Hardware by me had one on display. Not a huge fan of PK grills. It felt like one of those cheap square grills you can get at Walmart for like $20 but with heavier duty materials. Looked to me to be a stamped metal product but they didn't even bother to deburr the edges. No way I'd pay anywhere near $700 for it. $200 would be a stretch.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Isn't it just like their current PK300, except for the teal paint?  I didn't really see any mods that would make it cook better or differently, but I may have missed something.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,409
    Options
    An extra $200 for a couple shelfs and teal paint? Nah....
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don’t forget the towel bar! (And it does come in black too) 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,541
    Options
    I was trying to figure out what makes it better than the other models…must be the AF
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I was trying to figure out what makes it better than the other models…must be the AF
    It’s cool…AF
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Lit was the PK expert....he had the PK360 and used it a lot.  Have never seen a PK in person, but they are pricey for what you get.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,640
    Options
    Screw the grill; that guy has a rockin' leather apron.  

Prince William:  Proof that White Men can't Dance

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,373
    Options
    Not a fan of aluminum grills.. I burnt through a Weber Genesis.  Luckily, it was a Weber, so they sent me a knew lower half with all new hardware.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,701
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Lit was the PK expert....he had the PK360 and used it a lot.  Have never seen a PK in person, but they are pricey for what you get.
    Current PK360 is hinged at the back like a gas grill. The original is hinged on the side. Lit also has a PKGO. 

I like the double vents top and bottom, air enters bottom of one side with lump and exits the top of opposite side where food sits.
    canuckland
  • Pook
    Pook Posts: 43
    Options
    They seem so expensive but I guess people really like them. I don't think I could pay that much for such a simple grill.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I have a PK Original. The only advantage it has over a Weber is it won't rust.
    The original doesn't come with a stainless cooking grid. The Franklin version doesn't specify if it has a stainless grid, if not it's an $84.99 upgrade.
    As far as I know, the Original is made in the USA, the PK360 is foreign-made, presumably Chinese.
    I'm not totally dissatisfied with my PK Original, but it is a pretty expensive grill for what it is. Would I buy it again? possibly, but what I really want is a charcoal grill with a lot more cooking area, much like the Weber Ranch. The Ranch looks really good when it's new, but I'm afraid it would become a $1700 rust bucket after a few years.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a large cooking area charcoal grill?
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yoder Smokers makes a 24x36 charcoal grill…and if that’s not large enough, they make a 24x48 model. The factory is here in Kansas, and they took me thru the fabrication shop.  Saw a lot of welders building various smokers, pellet grills, and the charcoal grills. USA quality at its finest, built to last a lifetime!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GregW said:
    The original doesn't come with a stainless cooking grid. The Franklin version doesn't specify if it has a stainless grid, if not it's an $84.99 upgrade.
    As far as I know, the Original is made in the USA, the PK360 is foreign-made, presumably Chinese.
    I'm not totally dissatisfied with my PK Original, but it is a pretty expensive grill for what it is. Would I buy it again? possibly, but what I really want is a charcoal grill with a lot more cooking area, much like the Weber Ranch. The Ranch looks really good when it's new, but I'm afraid it would become a $1700 rust bucket after a few years.
    Look up Santa Maria Grills .... There are many different manufacturers, but that style sounds like what you are looking for.

Here is the style I am talking about:

https://jdfabrications.com/argentine-primal-grills/
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Primo XL?
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,020
    edited December 2021
    Options
    GregW said:
    Look up Santa Maria Grills .... There are many different manufacturers, but that style sounds like what you are looking for.

I am all for costing people forum dollars but you went large on this one!
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 278
    Options
    Pretty good size charcoal grill is a Hastybake Gourmet. I have one in the herd and like it. I can run 2 rotis spits at once if that interests you.
    I also have a PKO its about 15 yrs old and absolutely love the thing. I added a Burn Shop charcoal basket to it about 2 years ago. I just did a 12 hour burn on just 32 B&B briquets. Not bad for that little guy.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GregW said:

I am all for costing people forum dollars but you went large on this one!
    You must have missed the "15% off" coupon at the bottom 🤣
  • GregW
    Options
    @littlerascal56 the Yoder really looks good, I wonder how it would hold up to high heat cooking. With the heavy steel, it might not matter. A repaint every few years on the top wouldn't be difficult.
  • GregW
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac those Santa Maria-style grills look fantastic. They are a bit more than I would want to spend, but if I could afford it, I would love to have one.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Is it true it’s made only of salt and pepper? 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    6baluts said:
    Pretty good size charcoal grill is a Hastybake Gourmet. I have one in the herd and like it. I can run 2 rotis spits at once if that interests you.
    I also have a PKO its about 15 yrs old and absolutely love the thing. I added a Burn Shop charcoal basket to it about 2 years ago. I just did a 12 hour burn on just 32 B&B briquets. Not bad for that little guy.
    I recall another member (can't remember her name) also owns a HB and loves it.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    6baluts said:
    Just don’t order one from Amazon.  Years ago I ordered one and Amazon lost it!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    6baluts said:
    I bet @Lit got it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    6baluts said:
    I bet @Lit got it.
    DISAGREE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    6baluts said:
    I recall another member (can't remember her name) also owns a HB and loves it.
    Her name is DMW
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GregW said:
    Weber 26” kettle with an add on Smokeware swing bracket and grid.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas