Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DJIA 36KKK!!!

2»

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited November 2021
    Obviously my post about the Series I Bonds was not clear.  It was directed to those that place importance on having rainy day/emergency funds available.  Due to their nature these funds should be placed in a safe harbor.  These bonds do that while also giving a measure of protection against inflation.  Downside is they are not entirely liquid (important for emergency funds), which is why I added the disclaimer about having to hold for at least a year.

Mistake on my part that pointing them out was interpreted as saying they are "investments".  I do not consider them as such.  Should have explicitly stated that.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2021

Let’s Go Brandon!
    How.  Is.  That.  Possible?  Teevee voices said it bad sniff man!  Me lose mind!  MUST BE CONSPIRACY FAKE CANADA AND EGRAND NEWS!

--Lit, probably
    dbCooper said: 
    Obviously my post about the Series I Bonds was not clear.  It was directed to those that place importance on having rainy day/emergency funds available.  Due to their nature these funds should be placed in a safe harbor.  These bonds do that while also giving a measure of protection against inflation.  Downside is they are not entirely liquid (important for emergency funds), which is why I added the disclaimer about having to hold for at least a year.

Mistake on my part that pointing them out was interpreted as saying they are "investments".  I do not consider them as such.  Should have explicitly stated that.
    Sorry, too, that I came across that way! 

Years ago I owned what were called “flower bonds” issued by the USA. The rate was something like a mere 4.25%. The purpose/design/appeal to investors was upon death of the owner they could be used (redeemed) to pay (offset) the estate taxes. Sort of a bet against early death and what were considered VERY high death taxes versus the legal tax laws available nowadays that some people call loopholes! 

Being smart knowing tax laws isn’t cheating regardless of your political leaning! It took both parties to pass these”loopholes”!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • We havent had any inflation to speak of for more than 15 years bc the fed has kept rates low. 

We just came out of a pandemic where construction costs tripled (no complaints from trumpers, for some reason) , and gas prices plunged ( no one traveling).  

Now, paot-pandemic, with more cash on hand than ever before, people are spending. Gas prices back up bc people are traveling. (News flash, presidents don’t control gas prices)

the same morons who cheer every time the market goes up under “their” president ignore it when it goes up under the other guy. 

In neither case does the president have jack all to do with it. 

“Let’s go focker”

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited November 2021

Let’s Go Brandon!
    Lit said:
    Canugghead said:
    We used to pay around $4 for 3L jug local canola oil here in canuckland, now it's $12, guess I should blame Biden too.
    Good luck getting the lights to turn on inside of his head with this one, Gary.
    Hes referring to one single item. Almost everything here has gone way up in price.

canuckland

• Let’s Go Brandon!
    Joe Biden, President of the World.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

Let’s Go Brandon!
    Joe Biden, President of the World.
    Not only President of the World, also:
    • Corporate demand planner
    • Port authority clerk
    • Logistics analyst
    • Supply chain savant - wait, I think we're supposed to blame Pete Buttigieg for that, you know paternity leave.
    • Personal vaccine administrator - You see it's his fault that more people didn't get vaccinated in June/July before Delta hit the US.
    I could go on, but it is patently obvious how many of the ills of the world are simply Joe Biden's fault.
    OK, maybe not all the world, but certainly the problems in the US are the fault of one man who has been in office less than a year.

Or, perhaps, the problem is us - the citizenry at large.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/09/our-own-worst-enemy-looks-at-americans-lack-of-civic-virtue/
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Had a coworker at my last job that had purchased $10k in Apple stock back in 1984. She sold it in 1997 when they almost went bust. 

Buddy and I did the math and with the dividends, and splits had she kept it the whole time it would be worth $2.5M today. She about shat her pants when we told her that.

Here's a somewhat recent web page about that....

https://applemagazine.com/what-if-you-bought-apple-stock-instead-of-products/44792

• LETS GO BRANDON!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    LETS GO BRANDON!!!

yep, unemployment is up 1.1 points higher than pre-pandemic and theres no worker bees, i cant even get a bagel toasted at the dunkin donuts and the credit card system at the mcdonalds near me has been broken for weeks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • A few of my colleagues here at Duke started a company focused on quantum computing.  The company recently went public.  The stock ticker is IONQ.  Check it out if you have a chance ;)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    A few of my colleagues here at Duke started a company focused on quantum computing.  The company recently went public.  The stock ticker is IONQ.  Check it out if you have a chance ;)
    18.40 USD +10.63 (137.52%) not bad 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    A few of my colleagues here at Duke started a company focused on quantum computing.  The company recently went public.  The stock ticker is IONQ.  Check it out if you have a chance ;)
    Does the University own the colleague's IP?  How do Universities work with commercializing work developed by their employees?  Or how does grant money impact ownership?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I know someone that started at a company when the stock was $205.89/share, it is currently trading at $521.78/share just over a year later.

Now I'm not saying that hiring decision was the single factor behind the stock price jump over that period of time, but who knows?

The ticker symbol is ANET, check it out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian said:
    I was more thinking about the impact on the people who actually own the company.  It has a current valuation into the billions.  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I will go buy two shares.  It will be trading at $1.50 next week.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • A few of my colleagues here at Duke started a company focused on quantum computing.  The company recently went public.  The stock ticker is IONQ.  Check it out if you have a chance ;)
    Does the University own the colleague's IP?  How do Universities work with commercializing work developed by their employees?  Or how does grant money impact ownership?
    Complex answer to that.  I’ll try to respond later.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Disagree with those numbers,” Loves the Notebook and Brokeback Mountain “ broke as Fvck and angry at the world …lol  what a maroon 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

• I’m starting to like this Brandon guy!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    lkapigian said:
    I was more thinking about the impact on the people who actually own the company.  It has a current valuation into the billions.  
    137%, that nice...LOL

I'd like to find out the percentage of investors under 40 who invest in the DJIA or NASDAQ.

sure a few bucks can be made there, but more moneys being made in the Crypto markets by the 2nd

Don't invest what you cant afford to lose...

"But as of this past weekend, a single Shiba Inu coin was going for $0.00002571. Though nominally cheap, this works out to a gain of more than 5 million percent in about 14.5 months."
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01 said:
    lkapigian said:
    137%, that nice...LOL

I'd like to find out the percentage of investors under 40 who invest in the DJIA or NASDAQ.

sure a few bucks can be made there, but more moneys being made in the Crypto markets by the 2nd

"But as of this past weekend, a single Shiba Inu coin was going for $0.00002571. Though nominally cheap, this works out to a gain of more than 5 million percent in about 14.5 months."
    I'm sure all of that made sense to you in your head when you typed it.  And yet...
  • billt01
    billt01 said:
    lkapigian said:
    137%, that nice...LOL

I'm sure all of that made sense to you in your head when you typed it.  And yet...
    your right John, you're always right..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited November 2021
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    lkapigian said:
    137%, that nice...LOL

your right John, you're always right..

I like how you used both "yours" here, knowing that at least one of them would be correct.   Hedging your bets I suppose. 

I don't think I'm always right, not by a long stretch.  My job is currently plenty  humbling in that respect, as I am typically wrong more than several times every single day.  

I just try to have discussions that are clear, factual, and based in reality.  
  • billt01
    well clear, factual, and real are the funds in my coinbase account from the Shiba INU investment from 12 months ago..

so, I guess there's that..

And to be honest, I used both as bait..which worked flawlessly
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited November 2021
    billt01 said:
    well clear, factual, and real are the funds in my coinbase account from the Shiba INU investment from 12 months ago..

You are obviously a genius! 

Just one that believes heart disease is contagious and that you can get it at the Mickey D's drive through...
  • billt01
    billt01 said:

You are obviously a genius! 

Just one that believes heart disease is contagious and that you can get it at the Mickey D's drive through...

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    edited November 2021
    dbCooper said:

@dbCooper
    Those bonds are looking better to me after watching this guy. 

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • dbCooper said:

@dbCooper
    Those bonds are looking better to me after watching this guy. 

Sounds like Seinfeld - The Human Fund - YouTube