Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket

2»

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,591
    OK, so the brisket is 15 lbs ... trimmed off probably 1 to 1.5 lbs. 
    Thinking of putting it on at 8:30 to 9 am ... probably will take 6h to 7h max to cook. Will smoke at 275F to 300F ... then wrap and put in oven at likely 280F ... will push to 300F if I'm running out of time. So if this works out, brisket will be done at around 3 to 3:30 pm ... and I'll towel wrap for 2 to 3 hours to have a 6 pm meal time.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Talking 15 lbs post-trim at that cooking temp I would plan closer to 10-13 hrs to finish.  It can definitely be accelerated by upping the temp or using paper or foil wrap.  
    I only aim to finish a cook inside the FTC window which I plan as 2-6 hrs before slice and eat time.  So, given the 6 pm target I would look to finish it between noon and 4 pm so as not to be trying to push it across the finish line.  All above FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 104
    I agree with Lousubcap, that’s gonna take longer than 6-7 hours to cook. The last one I did was about that size and I cooked it at 275 per flameboss (just under 300 per dome temp) and it got done (just over 200) in about 9-10 hours. I’d plan on putting it on at about 5. Timing is always the hard part for me cause some seem to cook a lot faster or slower than others but I’d always rather have it done too soon than too late. Good luck!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Ok so ... I applied rub a couple of days ago and it's been sitting in the fridge. Took it out this morning, and injected with 500 mL (half quart) vegetable broth (trying to control the saltiness, find beef broth too salty) while the BGE was warming up.  Put it on at 9 am ... I read the above messages only now, lol. But it's progressing well.

In BGE, dome ranged from 275 F to 310F. Took about 3h15 min to hit 163F ... took it off, reinjected about 500 mL (half quart) of vegetable broth again, then double wrapped in foil, and put it into the oven whoxh is set at 285F. By the time I put it in at 12:30 pm, it cooled to around 155F. It's been in for 1.5h and at 187F ... and steadily climbing. So 32F increase in 1.5h. Another 25F to go, according to my calculations should be done at 4 pm ... then 2h towel wrap ... 6 pm should be eating time.

I'm basically looking for a temp rise of 3F every 15 minutes. If it slows, I'll push the oven up to 300F.

Here's some in progress pictures.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    The Texas Crutch can really juice up the temperature rise as you know.  I hope the fat has had time to render.  Enjoy the awaiting banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,805
    By the time I put it in at 12:30 pm, it cooled to around 155F. It's been in for 1.5h and at 187F ... and steadily climbing. So 32F increase in 1.5h. Another 25F to go, according to my calculations should be done at 4 pm ... then 2h towel wrap ... 6 pm should be eating time.
    I'm concerned about the "another 25F to go" unless you are planning to shred rather than slice. Am I reading this wrong? I generally start probing for tenderness in low 190s.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    Ok so ... I applied rub a couple of days ago and it's been sitting in the fridge. Took it out this morning, and injected with 500 mL (half quart) vegetable broth (trying to control the saltiness, find beef broth too salty) while the BGE was warming up.  Put it on at 9 am ... I read the above messages only now, lol. But it's progressing well.

In BGE, dome ranged from 275 F to 310F. Took about 3h15 min to hit 163F ... took it off, reinjected about 500 mL (half quart) of vegetable broth again, then double wrapped in foil, and put it into the oven whoxh is set at 285F. By the time I put it in at 12:30 pm, it cooled to around 155F. It's been in for 1.5h and at 187F ... and steadily climbing. So 32F increase in 1.5h. Another 25F to go, according to my calculations should be done at 4 pm ... then 2h towel wrap ... 6 pm should be eating time.

I'm basically looking for a temp rise of 3F every 15 minutes. If it slows, I'll push the oven up to 300F.

Here's some in progress pictures.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Lol. Ok so it took LESS than 3h to hit 205. Proved like butter... holy smokes it was juicy. The injection just before I wrapped was an incredible idea!

So tender, so juicy. Only thing I can say that wasn't the best was the bark ... much lighter than normal.

Here's some pictures.

• Mark_B_Good
    By the time I put it in at 12:30 pm, it cooled to around 155F. It's been in for 1.5h and at 187F ... and steadily climbing. So 32F increase in 1.5h. Another 25F to go, according to my calculations should be done at 4 pm ... then 2h towel wrap ... 6 pm should be eating time.
    I'm concerned about the "another 25F to go" unless you are planning to shred rather than slice. Am I reading this wrong? I generally start probing for tenderness in low 190s.
    I start checking at 195F, but always find that it has to be 202F to 205F to get a good tender finish.
  • Mark_B_Good
    All, I have a 17 lb'r to cook on Saturday.  Want to to turbo-ish method.  Probably aim for 275F.
    A bit lower than the last cook where I did it at 325F ...  seems I cooked 10 lb in 5 hours at 325F!!
    17 lb according to that calc is going to take 8h ... but if I lower to say between 275F to 300F ... I'm thinking that will add 2h ... so 10h cook??  Then rest for 1.5h before serving ... almost 12h total??

Thoughts on time at 275F to 300F ... any reason not to just cook it at 325F???
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,006
    The main reason to cook at a lower temp is to have the heat spread more evenly throughout the big hunk of meat.  In theory, cooking at 325, you could have some meat that is only 1/2 inch from the surface that is way over 200 degrees and overcooked before the meat in the center probes tender.  This seems to be minimized in a BGE - as opposed to the drier, move evaporative environment of an offset smoker - so you can definitely get away with cooking at higher heats in a kamado.  Most people think a pork shoulder cooked at 350 tastes the same as a pork shoulder cooked at 225 in a BGE.  With that said, I've not had the courage to cook a brisket at a temp over 325 - at least not on purpose.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what time you want to serve on Saturday.  When I'm serving for dinner I always think I have 2 options:

1) Put the brisket on when I go to bed - around 11 PM at a relatively low temp (230 or so) and then check on things and adjust when I get up around 6 AM.  It will usually come off between noon and 2 when it probes tender and can FTC from there.

2) Light the egg, trim/rub the brisket before I go to bed at night - with the egg settings such that I know it will settle in somewhere around 275-290.  Then get up about 5 AM and just drop the rubbed brisket on the already warm BGE so it can start cooking immediately.  This will usually get it done around 2-4 PM and give me at least an hour (usually more) of FTC time which I think is good for a brisket.

Sleeping in later and cooking at 300+ is an option and I'm pretty convinced that if you have a good FTC rest period you'll be OK.  I just haven't ever done it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Foghorn said:
    The main reason to cook at a lower temp is to have the heat spread more evenly throughout the big hunk of meat.  In theory, cooking at 325, you could have some meat that is only 1/2 inch from the surface that is way over 200 degrees and overcooked before the meat in the center probes tender.  This seems to be minimized in a BGE - as opposed to the drier, move evaporative environment of an offset smoker - so you can definitely get away with cooking at higher heats in a kamado.  Most people think a pork shoulder cooked at 350 tastes the same as a pork shoulder cooked at 225 in a BGE.  With that said, I've not had the courage to cook a brisket at a temp over 325 - at least not on purpose.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what time you want to serve on Saturday.  When I'm serving for dinner I always think I have 2 options:

1) Put the brisket on when I go to bed - around 11 PM at a relatively low temp (230 or so) and then check on things and adjust when I get up around 6 AM.  It will usually come off between noon and 2 when it probes tender and can FTC from there.

2) Light the egg, trim/rub the brisket before I go to bed at night - with the egg settings such that I know it will settle in somewhere around 275-290.  Then get up about 5 AM and just drop the rubbed brisket on the already warm BGE so it can start cooking immediately.  This will usually get it done around 2-4 PM and give me at least an hour (usually more) of FTC time which I think is good for a brisket.

Sleeping in later and cooking at 300+ is an option and I'm pretty convinced that if you have a good FTC rest period you'll be OK.  I just haven't ever done it.
    Should have mentioned time. Want to serve around 7:30 pm. Reason I'm doing turbo is I'm too OCD to go to sleep with a brisket on all night long. I'd rather wake up early and get it done same day. So you're talking about 10 to 11h to finish, which is what I'm banking on. If I have it on by 8 am, I should be good for 7:30 pm. Right? 
  • Mark_B_Good
    edited September 14
    Alright, 17 lber, trimmed, probably down to 15.5 to 16 lbs. On at 8 am, 4.5h smoked to 160F internal, wrapped, and then off at 5:30 pm, at 205F. All done at 275F. Once wrapped, I moved it to the convection oven, so I didn't need to watch it.
    Now towel wrapped and in cooler for 1.5h to 2h before I serve.

Timing worked out perfect for serving at 7 to 7:30 pm.

Here's some pictures. Will post another few once I start trimming. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    That looks amazing!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Mark_B_Good
    Here's the trimmings... Because of the turbo, smoke penentration wasn't as much (shorter time), but holy was it tender. I reinjected with drippings from the foil before trimming and serving. I prefer it when it's so easy to pull apart and juicy. Flavor gets a 10 out of 10, just wish it had more of a smoke ring.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,716
    Yes sir!!! Looks fantastic 😋😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Oh yeah.  Sorry I didn't get back to you from your post a few days ago.  I've been busy and haven't checked in here for a few days.

With that said, it looks like it turned out perfectly.

Well played.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    It was so tender, it was difficult to slice! LOL. Maybe I need a sharper knife???
  • Foghorn
    That sounds like it was just a little overcooked - at least by competition standards.  With that said, I've done a bunch of them that way and the groups I serve typically love them so I don't sweat it.  

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Foghorn said:
    That sounds like it was just a little overcooked - at least by competition standards.  With that said, I've done a bunch of them that way and the groups I serve typically love them so I don't sweat it.  
    Everyone at the party loved it. We spoke about it, tender/juicy vs. firmer. Everyone said they prefer tender... So I think I wouldn't adjust too much. Maybe I'll take it to 200F next time, instead of 205F. With a 1.5h towel wrap, and thr meat still cooking under its own thermal mass... Probably a better bet?
  • Foghorn
    I would think so.  I usually do it by feel.  When the thickest part of the flat muscle gets tender (based on how it feels when you probe it) I take it off.  Sometimes this is at a temp as low as 195 or so.  It will indeed continue to cook some in the FTC.

San Antonio, TX