Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killer recipe featuring zucchini?

Options
2»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,670
    Options
    Legume said:
    Langner91 said:
    I didn't realize there were so many killer zucchini recipes. I thought people grew them just to give them away.
    They take up a lot of space so if you just want a couple of tomato plants and deep down you really don’t want a vegetable garden, plant zucchini as filler.  Artichokes work well for this too.
    Got a spot picked out for artichoke in the greenhouse. I am hoping thwy make it through the winters.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Legume said:
    Langner91 said:
    I didn't realize there were so many killer zucchini recipes. I thought people grew them just to give them away.
    They take up a lot of space so if you just want a couple of tomato plants and deep down you really don’t want a vegetable garden, plant zucchini as filler.  Artichokes work well for this too.
    Got a spot picked out for artichoke in the greenhouse. I am hoping thwy make it through the winters.
    My dad planted them and kept them for years, they did ok as plants but never produced more than a half dozen a year and we were in the right climate for them, but I’m not sure he did much beyond water them and they probably need a little more than that.  Like zucchini, my mom always let them get too large.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,670
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Langner91 said:
    My dad planted them and kept them for years, they did ok as plants but never produced more than a half dozen a year and we were in the right climate for them, but I’m not sure he did much beyond water them and they probably need a little more than that.  Like zucchini, my mom always let them get too large.
    Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to making a go at it, I like having perennials in the greenhouse and love artichokes
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Legume

"Like zucchini, my mom always let them get too large"

My Mom grew her ego like your Mom grew her zucchini. The interesting thing is this, my moms ego was all built on her large zucchini and she didn't even garden. She wore men's pants, I'm not sure why.

SB

• BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

My Mom grew her ego like your Mom grew her zucchini. The interesting thing is this, my moms ego was all built on her large zucchini and she didn't even garden. She wore men's pants, I'm not sure why.

SB

I hope you do this for a living, you’re uproarious!  There’s a guy on here that does the same thing, but on CRUISE SHIPS!  I wouldn’t tell him, but I think you’re funnier.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

SB

I hope you do this for a living, you’re uproarious!  There’s a guy on here that does the same thing, but on CRUISE SHIPS!  I wouldn’t tell him, but I think you’re funnier.
    That's very kind of you to say. I haven't done anything for a living for over six years now, being disabled due to two painful conditions. Writing this silly nonsense keeps my brain busy at the very least, and there's a lot to be said for that. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

SB

That's very kind of you to say. I haven't done anything for a living for over six years now, being disabled due to two painful conditions. Writing this silly nonsense keeps my brain busy at the very least, and there's a lot to be said for that. 
    The rest of us write silly nonsense too. We just say it with authority and hope it sticks. 

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    Slice them a quarter inch thick on a mandolin slicer lengthwise, salt and wait for 20 minutes for the salt to suck some water out.  Pat dry.  Season with rub and sear at like 450 for a few minutes a side.  Roll them up lengthwise so they look more the shape of an ABT and eat. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    @Great_EGGspectations

"The rest of us write silly nonsense too. We just say it with authority and hope it sticks"

Oh I'm pretty sure very few of mine stick, whether I say it with authority or not.

😁
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

SB

Would you share the details of your disabilities?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

SB

stump is in some serious pain,  only posts when he is feeling up to it which looks like hes feeling a little better lately
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    as for the zukes. curry refrigerator pickles are great to snack on, easy to make
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @Legume

SB

Sure. I have systemic avascular necrosis (AVN) in all the big bones in my body. Basically, I don't generate new bone growth like most people do, my bones are essentially dead. What happens is they start to fail where the most pressure is, which is typically around the joints. I've had three knee replacements, two hot replacements. This year I was supposed to have one ankle replaced, and the other next year, but one of my knee replacements is peeling away from the bone so we have to deal with that first. It's also n my elbows too, though not bad enough yet to operate. It's been maybe 15 years now and I've had 14 major operations. I was also on oxycontin for 14 years straight, at massive dosages, up and sometimes over 600mg a day. I got off that a year and a half ago. That was brutal in itself. 

My small bones, in my feet and hands, not to be outdone by the big ones, have psoriatic arthritis, which can be extremely painful during flare ups. For that, I have a nurse come every four weeks for infusions of Remicade and I self inject methotrexate weekly as well. 

I had a morphine pump put in at one point, but developed a massive hematoma around it, and had to have it removed a week later. 

I could go on .. but I have a Dr appointment ... 4th one this week, which is typical.
  • Ybabpmuts
    edited June 2022
    Options
    That should have read "two hip replacements not hot replacements.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    danhoo said:
    this is an quick and easy side.  Make the vinaigrette ahead of time.

I quarter the zucchini vs slicing it thin, and then cut into cubes after it is grilled.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-zucchini-salad-with-lemon-herb-vinaigrette-and-shaved-romano-and-toasted-pine-nuts-recipe-1921651

When I take this to other's BBQs it is gobbled up and people ask for the recipe.
    @danhoo, thank you for this recipe link.  We made this yesterday to go with grilled swordfish and shrimp skewers.  It was phenomenal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    danhoo said:
    this is an quick and easy side.  Make the vinaigrette ahead of time.

I quarter the zucchini vs slicing it thin, and then cut into cubes after it is grilled.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-zucchini-salad-with-lemon-herb-vinaigrette-and-shaved-romano-and-toasted-pine-nuts-recipe-1921651

When I take this to other's BBQs it is gobbled up and people ask for the recipe.
    @danhoo, thank you for this recipe link.  We made this yesterday to go with grilled swordfish and shrimp skewers.  It was phenomenal.
    @Foghorn Thanks for posting that you tried it and liked it. It has become a regular side for steak, salmon, just about anything grilled.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    I would hit @Photo Egg up for his chorizo stuffing recipe from his wings thread. Please copy me as well!
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would hit @Photo Egg up for his chorizo stuffing recipe from his wings thread. Please copy me as well!
    The fantastic stuffed zucchini was all my sister in laws doing…
    But it was based on this recipe with the addition on 1 pound of good chorizo.
    https://spainonafork.com/spanish-stuffed-zucchini-with-cheese/
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The fantastic stuffed zucchini was all my sister in laws doing…
    But it was based on this recipe with the addition on 1 pound of good chorizo.
    https://spainonafork.com/spanish-stuffed-zucchini-with-cheese/
    I was hoping you would post this. it looked so damn good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    My mom normally slices them into coins ... and breads them up, sometimes adds a bit a parmesan. Here's the recipe without the parm:

Crispy Fried Zucchini - Spend With Pennies
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!