Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little tweaks for old favorites

Options
Funny how even a lifetime of experience doesn't let us fall too much into a rut.
I've put a thin coat of mustard on my ribs before hitting them with a rub, and I've done that for so many years I can't even remember when I started.
The other day I was thinking about cooking some baby backs and I happened to notice a bottle of Korean BBQ marinade in the cupboard. So instead of my usual CYM, I brushed that on instead, then used my favorite rub.
Honestly, these were the best ribs I've had in years. I was amazed at what a difference it made.

So what little new touch have you used on one of your old standards lately?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Not an Egg tweak, but...  last time I made hummus, I was out of tahini (sesame seed paste) but I did have some store-made cashew butter from the health food store, so used an equal amount of that.  I won't be buying tahini again anytime soon.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Whenever I use fresh tomatoes in a dish that calls for them sliced up and that is subsequently cooked, I pre-roast them on a baking pan with a little salt and olive oil, reducing the water weight by around 70%.  Sometimes even more.

End use examples are moussaka, pizza, lasagna, pasta. They get a great umami flavor that concentrates with some of the sugars, almost like a sun roasted flavor but not chewy at all.  Really elevates the dishes. 

Also, this reduces free water which is unwanted in some dishes like pizza.  I cut them thick.  Roast in oven around 300F, more or less if you need the time or are rushed.
    you had me @ moussaka , grew up on that and a favorite 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    My wife's favorite dish - moussaka!
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brine and peach glaze brine and peach glaze on a pork butt.

I now brine all pork poultry prior to Egging.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Started brining chicken in pickle juice. Big fan.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I don't necessarily remember how or why but a BLT sandwich without some type of spicy honey mustard is naked. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I don't necessarily remember how or why but a BLT sandwich without some type of spicy honey mustard is naked. 
    Actually a BLT is best served as a BT for me.  I find attempting to eat lettuce nothing I will sign up for.  Like eating colored water I would guess.  And at this stage of the game there is not gonna be any change.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I brine all my brines with additional brine.