Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggheads 5th Law of Thermodynamics

Options

Lets have some fun with this!

in review:

The zeroth law of thermodynamics defines thermal equilibrium and forms a basis for the definition of temperature: If two systems are each in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other.

The first law of thermodynamics states that, when energy passes into or out of a system (as work, heat, or matter), the system's internal energy changes in accord with the law of conservation of energy.

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a natural thermodynamic process, the sum of the entropies of the interacting thermodynamic systems never decreases. Another form of the statement is that heat does not spontaneously pass from a colder body to a warmer body.

The third law of thermodynamics states that a system's entropy approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero. With the exception of non-crystalline solids (glasses) the entropy of a system at absolute zero is typically close to zero.[2]

This popped into my pea brain one evening, deep into the middle of happy hour:

the Eggheads 5th law of thermodynamics states that people that burn Briquettes

will have more ash to clean up and less charcoal left at the end of the cook than people burning lump charcoal

I welcome any rewrites or additions . . .

BTW:  don't take this post or me seriously!   =)

aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    You had me at Entropy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    You are giving me bad flashbacks of my thermodynamics class in college.

For what it's worth, I do get a lot less ash from lump than briquettes.
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    I need what you are drinking during happy hour sir!
    O-Town, FL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    I feel like the Egghead law should state that your collection of bbq toys grows with time, until you are either dead or divorced or both.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I had a good physics teacher in high school.  She taught us Ginsberg's theorem...
    0. There is a game. (consequence of zeroth law of thermodynamics)
    1. You can't win. (consequence of first law of thermodynamics)
    2. You can't break even. (consequence of second law of thermodynamics)
    3. You can't even get out of the game. (consequence of third law of thermodynamics) 

Apparently Ginsberg's Theorem applies to career paths, too?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I thought the 5th law was the cow drives the cook.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Having spent 40+ years working in the Navy and Commercial Nuclear fields, I have spent too much time learning/studying/thinking about the Mollier diagram, Carnot engines (Real vs Ideal), Thermodynamics laws, condensate depression, enthalpy, entropy, Steam Quality, etc. Can’t even escape that crap here. 

That said, the 5th law of thermodynamics clearly states: “Thermodynamics sucks.”
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Having spent 40+ years working in the Navy and Commercial Nuclear fields, I have spent too much time learning/studying/thinking about the Mollier diagram, Carnot engines (Real vs Ideal), Thermodynamics laws, condensate depression, enthalpy, entropy, Steam Quality, etc. Can’t even escape that crap here. 

That said, the 5th law of thermodynamics clearly states: “Thermodynamics sucks.”
    I'm betting I'm awakened from a nightmare featuring steam tables, tonight...  :s

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• timsegg
    timsegg Posts: 1
    Options
    Sixth Law says if the wife doesn't like smoke tasting steaks you will be using briquettes no matter how much ash it produces.. Happy wife Happy life!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome @timsegg and enjoy the journey. Glad your are here.  Above all, have fun.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.