Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

peppers in the garden, always surprises

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,753
edited July 2021 in EggHead Forum
first up, ghost peppers, well they are eggplant black. googled black ghost peppers, they exist, ive grown ghost peppers before and they did not look like this

second up, from a flat of jalepinos. starts yellow then turns red, any ideas

new to me this year, a blueberry cherry tomato, seems to be ahead of the blueberries

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Delta variants?   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    what to do on my covid vacation, go to the nursery and rename all the pepper plants
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    looks awesome ...the yellow jalapeno variant will go yellow-green-red and become a fresno, did those just go yellow-red?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    looks awesome ...the yellow jalapeno variant will go yellow-green-red and become a fresno, did those just go yellow-red?

yellow to red, the rest are green jalapenos right now. assuming the red ones are ready but who knows what happens if i wait
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Search for Cowboy Candy for something to use jalapeños both green and red for. I have no idea what to use Ghost Peppers for except chemical warfare.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Search for Cowboy Candy for something to use jalapeños both green and red for. I have no idea what to use Ghost Peppers for except chemical warfare.

i do the candied jalapenos most years, ghost peppers are for the fermentation jars, just a few per jar. i really dont think those are ghost peppers, they are standing up like a thai pepper but shaped like a jalapeno
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    My chilli plants are really slow this year because of the cold spring and not very warm summer too. I have flowers on 2 out of 17 plants, 8 varieties (approx., I've forgotten exactly what's what).
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options
    First pic looks like black Hungarian. Second is hard to say. Love growing peppers, I have at least 50 kinds going. It's one of the things you can really find a lot of different flavors by growing yourself.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    Looks good @fishlessman
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    The jalapeños i grew last year look like your first pic. They went from black to red and stood up like yours.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Not sure about any of that, but I see some amazing salsa in your future…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    BSR said:
    First pic looks like black Hungarian. Second is hard to say. Love growing peppers, I have at least 50 kinds going. It's one of the things you can really find a lot of different flavors by growing yourself.

does look more like a black hungarian. will know if its a black ghost rather quickly when tasting.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:
    My chilli plants are really slow this year because of the cold spring and not very warm summer too. I have flowers on 2 out of 17 plants, 8 varieties (approx., I've forgotten exactly what's what).

hottest june ive ever seen here, im about a month ahead of where im normally at
    fukahwee maine

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Too hot here in central Pa. The tomatoes and peppers aren't successfully pollinating. Growing some Krimzon lee hots ( pretty mild) and something sweet. Tomatoes are Marbonne.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I've grown Ghosts before and they looked nothing like that lol.  My son took one to school and got suspended for giving his classmates pieces to try.  That and YouTube challenges are all they are good for imho 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Fresh peppers are the best peppers 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS