Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firs time I remember this happening

Options
I’ve been running the egg at 285 for well over an hour and still getting white smoke! Ideas?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Patience?  Maybe this particular bag of lump has more VOC's than most?  How does it smell?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    New brand lumo?  Give the smoke the smell test-smells good you are good to go. Otherwise patience.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Grease soaked platesetter?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    It’s Fogo Premium, that I’ve been using for a year or so. I didn’t think it’s the platesetter since I always put foil down on it. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Also, not sure if it’s related, but it took a long time to get it up to temperature as well as being difficult to light. It wasn’t wet. I kept it in the garage. 

Ronald Reagan

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited July 2021
    Options
    IMO, little do do with type, more to do with the condition of the fuel/fire....moisture seems you’ve already ruled out..is your thermo accurate, I’d try running it up and get a cool bed ( problem with Kamados ) and see if it cleans up

assuming you have 
    no wood chunks in there that are contributing 

just my thoughts
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    IMO, little do do with type, more to do with the condition of the fuel/fire....moisture seems you’ve already ruled out..is your thermo accurate, I’d try running it up and get a cool bed ( problem with Kamados ) and see if it cleans up

assuming you have 

just my thoughts
    I do have a rather large chunk of pecan wood in there. That the problem?

Ronald Reagan

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

Maybe.  That's why I suggest that you smell it.  If it smells like pecan wood and doesn't have a creosote or chemical smell to it, you're all set.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    How long has it been since you gave it a thorough cleaning?  Perhaps restricted airflow?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Probably about that time

Ronald Reagan

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    lkapigian said:

assuming you have 

just my thoughts
    Large chunk of smoldering wood in the lump will definitely smoke for awhile.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas