Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nashville Hot Cauliflower

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
Say wha?

Saw this idea a few weeks ago, don't remember where.  I started with a roasted cauliflower recipe I like to use; boil the whole head in heavily-salted water for no more than 5 minutes, drain for ten, coat surface with oil and black pepper, then roast at 450º for 25 minutes.  I didn't know if I should pre-coat with the oil, as I'd be dipping it after it was cooked, so I painted one-half of the head with oil and marked it with a toothpick.  After 15 minutes on the Egg I had this:

The left side does show a bit more darkening, but not really worth the trouble.

I had printed out a Nashville Hot Chicken recipe some months back, but haven't made it yet.  I looked it up, and the first two ingredients for the sauce were 1) half-lb of lard, and 2) two sticks of butter!   :o  I thought that may be a bit overwhelming so I made something up:  melted 3 Tblspns of butter, added a clove of garlic, then whisked in a tsp of cayenne, 1/4 cup of Frank's Red-Hot, 2 tsp soy sauce, and 2 tsp of a cornstarch/water slurry.  Once thickened, I poured it in a bowl big enough for the cauliflower head.  

After 15 minutes on the Egg, I put the cauliflower in the bowl and rolled it around; was just the right amount to totally coat it.  Returned it to the Egg for ten more minutes to "set" the sauce:

Kinda purty, like a 7 pound meatball.  I sliced it into "steaks", not florets, and let the pieces fall where they may.  Served with Kimchee:

The kimchee added nothing as far as color contrast, and nothing to do with Tennessee barbeque, but Ron's recent thread had me hungry for kimchee so...  The meal could've used a big pile of white rice, however.

Thanks for looking.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    That looks good. 
    NW IOWA
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I'm going to try this, just modified to make it vegan.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice cook!
    going on my "List"
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!

I want to try this. Recently found something about cauliflower hot "wings", and made a mental note. This is similar to gobi musallam (spelling varies), which involves slathering a whole head of cauliflower with a yogurt-based spice mix, then roasting it. 

This looks really good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice!

I want to try this. Recently found something about cauliflower hot "wings", and made a mental note. This is similar to gobi musallam (spelling varies), which involves slathering a whole head of cauliflower with a yogurt-based spice mix, then roasting it. 

This looks really good. 
    A place near me makes Nashville hot wings that are dredged in spiced gram flour then tossed post fry in nashvillle hot oil.  They also have cauliflower ‘wings’ that are fried, don’t have the dredge but do have plenty of the hot oil and we like them better than the chicken.  Much hotter too.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    We have been making cauliflower hot wings quite a bit as all the cauliflower came on at once in the garden.   Cut it up into chicken size bites, roll in milk, flower, garlic powder, pepper, salt paprika. bake for 10 minutes, then brush with your favorite hot sauce, blended with butter and honey. bake for 10 more minutes.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    We've tried this recipe a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lYjMVENoxE&t=16s

It requires some work to grab all of the ingredients, but it's delicious.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is something I am going to try. Unfortunately for my daughter in law, (she being the only other living creature that occasionally shares space in our home which enjoys spicy food besides myself) she will suffer until I get it right.

Thank you for sharing this, it is a great presentation, and just looks delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You sure that's not a waste of good hot sauce?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Options
    Who uses hot sauce?
  • Eoin
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This is something I am going to try. Unfortunately for my daughter in law, (she being the only other living creature that occasionally shares space in our home which enjoys spicy food besides myself) she will suffer until I get it right.

Thank you for sharing this, it is a great presentation, and just looks delicious.
    You can educate the heathens to enjoy hot food, just keep ramping it up a bit at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Nice!  And thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about this.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Eoin - what did you think?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Options
    @Eoin - what did you think?
    Very good. Smoking and spice makes everything better.
  • BrenzGrewe
    Options
    It's looking yumm !!

• Legume
    Options
    Looks great, but why is this done whole vs breaking into florets or cutting into steak strips?
  • Eoin
    Options
    Legume said:
    Looks great, but why is this done whole vs breaking into florets or cutting into steak strips?
    Just presentation, I suppose. You'd get more char / spice per bite by breaking it down into florets.