Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat prices are soaring out here.

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
Just got back from Costco yesterday and this is some of the prices I saw.

Alaskan King crab legs-$30.99/lb., I remember when these were $19.99/lb.
Prime Tri-tip-$11.99/lb., use to be $8.99/lb.
Crayovaced Prime beef tenderloin- $24.99/lb.
Babyback Ribs-$4.29/lb.
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2021
    Options
    They are soaring everywhere. It will get worse before it gets better. Also, the items you are listing above are considered luxury items to most people with the exception of baby back ribs. That stuff is impacted even more because of demand. Almost everything is having major supply issues right now as well. Add on to that the desire by some to limit our beef production as a means to slow down climate issues and the end result will be even greater sticker shock in the next couple years. Buckle up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Meat consumption by regionMeat consumption by selected countryTypes of meat consumed in the US
    Options
    These kinds of things are the most difficult for poor and middle class families to absorb.

If we had a functioning government, it would look to reduce the tax burden on those families so that they'd have a little more money per month to help offset rising food costs. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    atleast we will have free govt cheese again, well hopefully
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Meat consumption by regionMeat consumption by selected countryTypes of meat consumed in the US

raw termites and chicken heads are a delicacy of kenya, i guess we will have to learn new recipes.  protip...the heads on raw termites are extremely crunchy, remove and toss the heads. if crawfish prices go up, theres the alternative
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    edited May 2021
    Options
    These kinds of things are the most difficult for poor and middle class families to absorb.

If we had a functioning government, it would look to reduce the tax burden on those families so that they'd have a little more money per month to help offset rising food costs. 
    I thought the easy monetary policy and massive deficit was the reason for inflation?  Wouldn't your suggestion make the situation worse?  Almost like an economic death spiral?  I am not an economist, but I was reading the Nuke thread yesterday before, well, it got nuked.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    Options
    a year ago limes were 5 for a buck, now 2 for a buck, soon to be a buck apiece. that aint right
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options

I thought the easy monetary policy and massive deficit was the reason for inflation?  Wouldn't your suggestion make the situation worse?  Almost like an economic death spiral?  I am not an economist, but I was reading the Nuke thread yesterday before, well, it got nuked.
    I understand how one might get that impression from reading that thread, but don't worry, that is just the result of being confused.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The supply chain takes a while to ramp back up to pre-pandemic levels.  Steel demand, for example, which was already expensive from the tariffs, dropped down to a trickle because the consumers demand dropped.  Plants closed or scaled back and they furloughed workers.  It's going to take a year to catch up, and steel companies don't want to fix the supply side because they're making 40% profits now, and no one wants to buy futures and take the risk of losing their asses.
    edited May 2021
    Options

I understand how one might get that impression from reading that thread, but don't worry, that is just the result of being confused.  
    What causes inflation?  As Nola mentioned, I assumed the price rise was a supply issue as opposed to inflation, but how do you tell the difference?  It seems like the supply issues are driving up costs on all goods because the supply issues are on the basic building blocks for all consumer goods.

Not being sarcastic, actually curious.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    All economists predicted inflation.  The rate was higher than they were expecting, but these are unusual times.
    Options
    Lot of cash on hand and people ready to spend, too. 

Construction’s been inflated for a year. Travel’s coming back. An end to covid is in sight
    ...lot of factors at work. 

We have had an unprecedented run of little to no inflation across a few presidencies. 

Had to run out sometime
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

What causes inflation?  
    I'll defer to Lit on this one.  I've been told he's the expert here.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    Options

What causes inflation?  
    *Sigh*. Time to googlz me an education.

Did anyone read the comments by the QANON shaman's lawyer?  Some might find them humourous.
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    Variety of drivers, wsj article hits on a lot of them. Everything from increased commodity prices, labor shortage, to just plain supply chain disruptions.  Inflation is also a part of this, but as noted by others really difficult to decouple it from other factors and draw hard conclusions.
    https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/consumers-adjust-to-higher-prices-11620552601

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Found this definition:

As a currency loses value, prices rise and it buys fewer goods and services. This loss of purchasing power impacts the general cost of living for the common public which ultimately leads to a deceleration in economic growth. The consensus view among economists is that sustained inflation occurs when a nation's money supply growth outpaces economic growth.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    This paragraph was just plain interesting, never heard this part in my history classes:

Theoretically, monetarism is a popular theory that explains the relation between inflation and money supply of an economy. For example, following the Spanish conquest of the Aztec and Inca empires, massive amounts of gold and especially silver flowed into the Spanish and other European economies. Since the money supply had rapidly increased, the value of money fell, contributing to rapidly rising prices.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Printing money and issuing reserve account credits causing demand for goods to exceed supply of goods results in inflation.

Looks like we have a perfect storm with our supply issues.  Wonder what happens once supply catches up to money?  Stabalization or deflation?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

What causes inflation?  

Reading is generally the best path to knowledge, in my experience.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Interesting, it would appear one can protect against inflation in a number of ways:

1. Invest in tangibles (real estate, art, factories, gold, silver, etc).  As inflation rages, these follow.

2. Job with pay based off the price of tangibles.  Say commission based job tied to sales price (sales person or stock broker)

3. Do not hoard cash.  Inflation eats the cash value.  Counter intuitively, carrying a lot of debt is great when inflation hits.  You borrowed money with high buying power and pay it back with money that has very low buying power.  Seems you can have your cake and eat it too.

Inflation might not be the big scary boogeyman if you prepare for it and are in an inflation adjusted career.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For the most part I agree. But it depends a lot on what one is reading 📖 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    For the most part I agree. But it depends a lot on what one is reading 📖 
    That's where critical thinking skills come into play: understanding what makes sense to read, and understanding how to verify information.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Interesting, it would appear one can protect against inflation in a number of ways:

1. Invest in tangibles (real estate, art, factories, gold, silver, etc).  As inflation rages, these follow.

2. Job with pay based off the price of tangibles.  Say commission based job tied to sales price (sales person or stock broker)

3. Do not hoard cash.  Inflation eats the cash value.  Counter intuitively, carrying a lot of debt is great when inflation hits.  You borrowed money with high buying power and pay it back with money that has very low buying power.  Seems you can have your cake and eat it too.

Inflation might not be the big scary boogeyman if you prepare for it and are in an inflation adjusted career.

im going to be rich =) i owe everyone
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    Options

What causes inflation?  

Build a man a fire, keep him warm all day.  Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I’m just here to say that @fishlessman is the unsung hero of the inflation education thread. With that, I shall add another lime to my 4pm G&T. Onward and upward! 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Found this definition:

As a currency loses value, prices rise and it buys fewer goods and services. This loss of purchasing power impacts the general cost of living for the common public which ultimately leads to a deceleration in economic growth. The consensus view among economists is that sustained inflation occurs when a nation's money supply growth outpaces economic growth.
    Which is about exactly what I said…
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You want an inflation rate around 2 percent for a healthy economy.  Too low or too high are detrimental.
    Without turning this into a finance or political thread (no thanks), I've noticed the same thing around here recently. Had a hard time even finding a brisket for the weekend yesterday. Costco stock has been low (never seen them out of briskets before) and a buddy bought his last packer there for around $4/lb, up from $2.50 to $2.99 around here usually. Hy-Vee (local supermarket chain) doesn't always have the best selection but prices are up a lot there too. Saw a prime packer there that looked like it had seen better days... $9/lb. No thanks! 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im not even going to go looking at brisket prices up here, they used to be about 8 bucks a pound for choice
    fukahwee maine