Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has to be the worst bbq rating ever

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Options
    No disrespect Nola but.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe we have the best BBQ.   
    Options
    I think we can ignore that report. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Fox News? Yeah, right.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    They based this entirely on Tripadvisor ratings 😂
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Are Tripadvisor ratings really any more reliable/useful than Amazon ratings?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    San Antonio and Houston are in the bottom 10.

dafuq?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    “Fake News.”
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Cool, st. Louis is 6th and 2nd for most. I personally feel we don't have a ton of BBQ places.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lets see, a pulled pork sandwich and a sweet tea in carolina, or a pulled pork sandwich and three hand grenades in new orleans.

About the drinkThe drink known as The Hand Grenade is sold frozen or on  the rocks in 5 licensed bars in the New Orleans French  Drinks Cocktails  Hand grenade

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    caliking said:
    San Antonio and Houston are in the bottom 10.

dafuq?

Even the "worst" Texas BBQ like Hard8 is light-years ahead of anything served here in Alabama. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    That's the most asinine report I've ever read.    Houston is 7th place in the Worst city ranking.    Meanwhile Seattle and Newark are in the top 10 of Best.    Crazy world these days...
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I chaulk it up to people in the towns that don't really have any bbq places are so happy to have one mediocre one they rate it as 5 stars since there's no competition. But places like Austin, Houston, San Antonio have so many top tier places the hype is not really there. Also, it's trip advisor. The national enquirer of ratings websites. Didn't a guy just rate the Holocaust museum at Auschwitz a 5 star family fun experience on trip advisor?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe we have the best BBQ.   
    If we have the best it’s a sad reflection on the state of bbq in America…
    New Orleans LA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Nah......folks from North Carolina seem to think theirs is good. There is always a worse list.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That's the most asinine report I've ever read.    Houston is 7th place in the Worst city ranking.    Meanwhile Seattle and Newark are in the top 10 of Best.    Crazy world these days...
    If going off user reviews, it could be people in Houston are more picky about their BBQ than those others, which would skew the data.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In Alabama, we have some kind of contest where they name a place "Alabama's Best BBQ" without fail, they always seem to name the absolute worst place they can find. It's widely held that there must be money changing hands in the award selection. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    What bothers me these days are the so-called experts who post the "Best ____" and do no research of their own.  They simply regurgitate something said by someone else or use ratings from a group of people that may not be real reviews.  It is obvious that these reviewers get compensated by the number of hits on each article they produce.  It is getting more and more difficult to find honest reviews and get useful info on the web.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    QDude said:
    What bothers me these days are the so-called experts who post the "Best ____" and do no research of their own.  They simply regurgitate something said by someone else or use ratings from a group of people that may not be real reviews.  It is obvious that these reviewers get compensated by the number of hits on each article they produce.  It is getting more and more difficult to find honest reviews and get useful info on the web.
    I don't know if I'd read all that into this.  This article was about mining data from tripadvisor.  It's about collecting and aggregating customer reviews.  We all know reviews can paint an inaccurate picture of a restaurant because people's motivation to post them varies by clientele and only a subset of customers write them.  Also, they may be motivated by negative as well as positive experiences.

That said, I don't think people should draw conclusions off the data other than just report it.

Options
    Having used tripadvisor to help plan vacations and events many times I think it is fair to say that it can be extremely helpful if you recognize the limitations.

The reviews are based on meeting (or not) or exceeding customer expectations - relative to other similar establishments in that area.

When the Holiday Inn has a higher rating than the Four Seasons in the area that means that it is a very well run Holiday Inn (and maybe a poorly run Four Seasons) - but it still isn't a Four Seasons in terms of luxury and amenities.  

In this case, people that go to the highest rated BBQ joints in the BBQ hotspots like Memphis and Texas have high expectations.  A couple of average reviews (someone from Kansas City that is disappointed that the Texas place didn't have burnt ends) can drop you considerably.

With that said, Tripadvisor is very good about finding the consistently good places in an area - and it did help me stumble across this place for a trip we took to Costa Rica to celebrate my daughter's graduation from college a few years ago when the resort was on the Tripadvisor Top 10 in the World list.

With that said, I'm not going to plan a BBQ trip around these ratings.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    We plan to schlepp West from Indianapolis across the northern plains to the Oregon Coast, then South through Yosemite, and back through the desert SW on into Memphis and Nashville this coming September/October. Always on the lookout for the local dive BBQ when I can't make it myself.

Trip Advisor is OK, there's also RoadTrippers, in the end I have found Google Maps to be reliable if you can sift through the many reviews that have an axe to grind. 

Finding good BBQ is as hit and miss as finding a good diner. I stay away from the chains - it's never a good idea, especially "Sonny's", BLECH!

No mention in the article about St. Louis, I've had some pretty good ribs there, and of all places in the world - the airport in Minneapolis has a BBQ joint that is surprisingly good. 

I have no idea if my home town has good bbq, I'll make it myself better, cheaper, and of course bigger portions than any local joint.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mickey
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    We plan to schlepp West from Indianapolis across the northern plains to the Oregon Coast, then South through Yosemite, and back through the desert SW on into Memphis and Nashville this coming September/October. Always on the lookout for the local dive BBQ when I can't make it myself.

Trip Advisor is OK, there's also RoadTrippers, in the end I have found Google Maps to be reliable if you can sift through the many reviews that have an axe to grind. 

Finding good BBQ is as hit and miss as finding a good diner. I stay away from the chains - it's never a good idea, especially "Sonny's", BLECH!

No mention in the article about St. Louis, I've had some pretty good ribs there, and of all places in the world - the airport in Minneapolis has a BBQ joint that is surprisingly good. 

I have no idea if my home town has good bbq, I'll make it myself better, cheaper, and of course bigger portions than any local joint.
    You are always ahead to give your towns of bbq interest HERE and will receive damn good recommendations 97% of the time (it’s a fact). 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Mickey said:
    DieselkW said:

You are always ahead to give your towns of bbq interest HERE and will receive damn good recommendations 97% of the time (it’s a fact). 
    Please wait. . . fact check in progress. . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    GregW said:
    In Alabama, we have some kind of contest where they name a place "Alabama's Best BBQ" without fail, they always seem to name the absolute worst place they can find. It's widely held that there must be money changing hands in the award selection. 

It's always Big Bob Gibson's, which is total garbage. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    GregW said:

It's always Big Bob Gibson's, which is total garbage. 
    Chris Lilly is a legend in his own mind. The guy turns up anywhere there is a camera running.
    Seriously, Big Bob's turn's out some really bad BBQ, the only thing they are good at is turning out consistently bad BBQ.
    Edit: Chris Lilly has had success in the competition BBQ world, however that knowledge hasn't helped the food served in the restaurant.