Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket video

Options
Hey yall! Been a while since I posted, but thought this would be appropriate to share. After almost 20 years of competing with my EGGs, I've decided to hang up my tongs. We had a great run, and BGE provided us a great deal of support over the years. Thanks to BGE and to this forum for helping with our success on the circuit. Now it's time to share my secrets LOL. I was super excited how the brisket video came out, and I hope some of you will find it helpful. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions. Cheers!! Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Hopefully just your tongs with competing and not the business part of it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Just my competition tongs :) I will still be teaching and cooking for friends and family. Business is not going anywhere!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • tomtnc
    tomtnc Posts: 24
    Options
    Great video Chris!!  Longtime guru products user here and I am sure Shotgun Fred is looking down on you and is smiling at how well you’ve done. Keep up the great work and thanks for your contributions to the BBQ world. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great video Chris and thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen or heard of starting the fire that way on the egg. I will be definitely trying a few of the things you shared in your video. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That's a great video.  Thanks for posting it - and for all of your contributions to the forum over the years that are based on what you've learned in competition.  With that said, now that you're hanging up the competition tongs I guess you'll have more time to hang out here.   =)

I have to admit, I am surprised at how much fat you trim off your brisket but it makes sense that your goal is to get the bark on the meat/muscle.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome video. Thanks so much for sharing your technique. Time for me to restock the Cow Lick for memorial day! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Great video -- thx for posting.  Time to order some cow lick!  I like that your rubs have a low salt content and I can control my intake (in theory).  Takes me multiple servings to get to my 1500 mg/day!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nice vid Chris
    If cooking burnt ends, how long after being cubed & sauced do you like?
    Thank You
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Loved the video Chris!  So cool to see how someone with your experience does everything from start to end.  Thank you for making that and sharing it with everyone here.  

I use your rubs all the time too man - this reminds me, I need to order some more!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    tomtnc said:
    Great video Chris!!  Longtime guru products user here and I am sure Shotgun Fred is looking down on you and is smiling at how well you’ve done. Keep up the great work and thanks for your contributions to the BBQ world.  
    Aw man, I am smiling up on Shotgun Fred! So many good memories with that brilliant inventor that had a ton of patents to his name, including the first pit controller. Thanks for the kind words, and for reminding me of Fred. So many stories pop into my head from the first time he got me to put that pit controller on the EGG. I was so upset that thing kept blowing air into my EGG that I didn't want. Then over time, I realized it would actually be fine and I could sleep :) Cheers! Chris  
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Great video Chris and thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen or heard of starting the fire that way on the egg. I will be definitely trying a few of the things you shared in your video. 
    I have been starting my fire that way for many years. Instead of filling my firebox up, like a lot of people do, I like to start a small fire and get it ripping (and heat up the ceramics too). I do the same for low-slows and grilling. Try it out and let me know what you think! Cheers. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's a great video.  Thanks for posting it - and for all of your contributions to the forum over the years that are based on what you've learned in competition.  With that said, now that you're hanging up the competition tongs I guess you'll have more time to hang out here.   =)

I have to admit, I am surprised at how much fat you trim off your brisket but it makes sense that your goal is to get the bark on the meat/muscle.
    Appreciate that @Foghorn ! I do think the forum has done more for me than I have done for the forum :) Back when I was posting a lot, there wasn't all these buttons for people to tell me when I was being an **** LOL. Regarding the fat, a lot of teams nowadays are cutting all the fat off the point and the flat, and separating them and cooking them hot and fast. Part of what has taken the fun out of contests. Used to be everyone was low and slow and you could walk around at midnight socializing with the other teams while they tended their fire. Now the hot and fast teams (most of them) are going to bed at 7pm and getting up at 3am to start their meats. Boring!!! I will try and stop in here more often, but seems like a great deal of really good cooks here answering questions before I even see them. Cheers! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Great video -- thx for posting.  Time to order some cow lick!  I like that your rubs have a low salt content and I can control my intake (in theory).  Takes me multiple servings to get to my 1500 mg/day! s
    Thank you sir! Developing seasonings with less salt was one of the key things we decided when we started this whole thing in 2002. So many ways for people to get more salt in their food if needed.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Nice vid Chris
    If cooking burnt ends, how long after being cubed & sauced do you like?
    Thank You
    Hey buddy! We rarely did "burnt ends" in the traditional KC way. Mainly because the point (facing down in the back of the cooker) always got more heat and would be well-rendered when the flat was done. That doesn't always happen on cookers where not as much heat was coming from below. When we cubed our point, it was usually done perfectly and we didn't want to cook it any more. Sometimes, though, there would still be too much fat in the point and we would indeed put the cubes back on the EGG with a splash of sauce and cook them more like traditional burnt ends. Sometimes it was for 30 minutes, other times an hour, but it really depends on whether the meat is still a little tight, or has too much fat. 
    Cheers, Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I have been starting my fire that way for many years. Instead of filling my firebox up, like a lot of people do, I like to start a small fire and get it ripping (and heat up the ceramics too). I do the same for low-slows and grilling. Try it out and let me know what you think! Cheers. Chris
    I'm going to try that method next time I do a low and slow. Still have a cabinet full of your spices that I use all the time. Thanks for everything you have done for us Eggers and the BBQ community. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings