Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Spritz Recipe Recommendations

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
I know spritzing isn't necessarily a game changer with the BGE but I'm wondering if anyone has a spritz recipe they'd be willing to share. It will probably be used more with the other grills but hoping to step up my spritz game other than apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Especially with chicken. Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I've never been convinced spritzing does anything. Seems like it just evaporates off a few seconds later. Basting with fats on the other hand... now we're talkin'. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I've never been convinced spritzing does anything. Seems like it just evaporates off a few seconds later. Basting with fats on the other hand... now we're talkin'. 
    I'm not sure it does either. I think part of it is the grill/smoker you cook on and the moisture it produces. I know Harry Soo doesn't use a water pan with his WSM but will spritz the meat with plain water throughout the cook. I'm most interested in trying it with the stick burner and seeing what the results might do and flavor. Not so much the BGE as I don't think it's really needed. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I think spritzing is similar to mustard as a slather. Some will say it's absolutely necessary and others will say it's simply not needed. 

I guess I'm more or less interested in seeing what people might use. It might be a long shot asking here on the forum as it's not necessarily needed with the BGE. 

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Only thing I've ever used is just straight apple cider vinegar or apple juice. No recipe, simplicity is better.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    50/50 ACV/Water for me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    btw- It keeps the bark from getting too crusty before your meat is done and smoke sticks to moisture. Once you get a hard bark, smoke just bounces off. That's why people say stuff like "meat does not take on smoke after 4 hours". Well, it does. Just not when it's bone dry.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    50/50 acv and water here too but I’ll add a couple dashes of Worcestershire 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Add local honey to your spritz ....ni e sheen and subtle sweet
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I am all in with spritzing when messing about with the little stick burner.  ACV and H20 around 50/50 plus some cayenne with pork and chix.  Beef, I go with worcestershire and H20, probably closer to 60/40 but never measure.  FWIW-
    BTW- You will need a manly juicer spritz rig to pump the even diluted honey as suggested by @lkapigian (which I don't own) but given his prowess I'm sure it is great.  
    Let us know where you land.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    ACV/Worchestershire/water
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Saturated solution of awesome sauce and MSG.
    Options
    I am not a spritzer, but in no way against it. But being a flavor guy, and cooking competitions for 20 years I have cooked and eaten a ton of bbq. Good advice so far! Except for one thing...vinegar makes stuff sour and tangy, and IMO should only be used in a finishing sauce and applied just before eating, just to wake up and prepare your palate for the creaminess of the perfectly cooked meat. No sour meat. Simply an opinion! Happy cookin'. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ