Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Total Hip Replacement

Options
In the operating room at 7am today, home with couple pounds of new titanium at noon.  Mind blowing that it's now outpatient when the anterior approach is used
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Speedy Recovery @JethroVA
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, that’s fantastic, I hope you have a smooth recovery.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    My dad and FIL both have had both knees and hips replaced.  Hips are amazing and PT is walking.  Knees are different....  Quick recovery to you!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looking good buddy!
    I have photographed several total hip surgeries done the old fashion way.
    Was one of the most medieval things I have seen in the O.R. Just brutal what the body can handle.
    Glad you are doing well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wow...All the best in your recovery.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    That's amazing, had no idea they went that quickly.  Congrats and have a speedy recovery.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Congrats on getting it done and anterior.  All the best for a speedy recovery.
    I have had both hips replaced (about 18 months apart) but due to the extreme tightness of each joint the surgeon had to go posterior.  Lots of slicing and dicing involved.  
    @Photo Egg - On the second one I saw the surgeon in the meat locker (aka operating room) before the anesthesiologist did his thing.  Asked if he had sharpened his saws, chisels and drill bits.  He actually nodded in the affirmative and smiled.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Congrats!

I had mine done on 2/22.  I had a few more issues, so I wasn't home the same day, but 8 weeks later and I am walking with no limp (about 2 miles per day!), have no pain, and generally wish I had done it sooner!

Good luck with your recovery!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Wife's surgeon recommended the posterior route, but left a mighty small scar behind (get it? Behind!). Mostly because he didn't think the long term evidence was in yet on how long it would last and how perfect the placement would be. She was 47 at the time, and this was a leading research hospital for the work. Needless to say, she wasn't out the same day.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    What's up with the devices on your calves? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy (and uneventful) recovery!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    My buddy had done a few years ago, not sure the approach. But he was in hospital for 2-3 days.

Congrats on going home..crazy hope you have a good recovery 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    What's up with the devices on your calves? 
    Those are inflatable cuffs that inflate and deflate periodically to prevent blood clots. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Congrats Jethro. Today is week 15 post-op for my
    knee replacement - still have pain, swelling, and some difficulty walking. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Congratulations!

I had my mri done today on my left knee pre replacement surgery. Supposed to schedule it next week. 

This getting old is not for the faint of heart!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Congratulations!

I had my mri done today on my left knee pre replacement surgery. Supposed to schedule it next week. 

This getting old is not for the faint of heart!
    Good luck!

It isn't for the faint of heart, but it beats the alternative!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Speedy recovery @JethroVA
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My FIL just had his done and they ended up having to redo it because he fell and popped her loose. Moral of this story is be careful and listen to doctors orders.
    All the best. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You will do well. I have two friends that had the procedure done, one plays tennis (68 yrs old) and the other is an old trail mate of mine, I hook up with each time we are backpacking in California (70). Both were in such deep pain, but now,  they said, they are back to doing what they love.

I am hoping you will be too. Get well soon, get back out there. Life is a beautiful thing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I had a bionic hip put in a couple of years ago.  No problems now.  If a new spine was available, I would be all set.  Good luck sir!  
    Flint, Michigan
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I had a bionic hip put in a couple of years ago.  No problems now.  If a new spine was available, I would be all set.  Good luck sir!  
    Glad to see you posting @Fred19Flintstone
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Welcome back, Fred!
    Options
    He's alive!!
    Long time no see!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great news that you are back here.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    Best of luck and a speedy recovery. 

My wife has had both hips "resurfaced" and I've had partial knee replacements on both knees and we're back to normal activities. Knees take longer to return to normal than hips.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Saw this and thought of this thread....

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hahaha (gross!)
    Options
    Been down that hip road and both times (different doctors and different hospital/medical groups) asked for the human artifacts.  Was declined both times.  Something about laws, rules and regulations.  Dang!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Been down that hip road and both times (different doctors and different hospital/medical groups) asked for the human artifacts.  Was declined both times.  Something about laws, rules and regulations.  Dang!

I've read other articles over the years that many tissues can be quite valuable and it is not unusual for hospitals to sell them off for profit.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I’m curious, Cap..... What were your plans for them?