Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A carry out 12” stuffed pizza for $40???

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888

What do you pay? And do you really even find it worth that kind of money? $40 gags me so I still haven’t tried one, but I am who I am! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I have no idea what you're even talking about, but I'm confident I've spent $40 on worse.
    Stillwater, MN
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    A 2 topping pie from a non chain is easy $21 post tax. So I could see $40 for enough toppings and work.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    We generally don't order from the chains but our go-to local place is about $15.00 per large. $40 for a pizza seems completely nuts to me.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I hear you, Ron. Food prices are pretty high in my area. The other night, we ordered two small shawarmas, one large shawarma, a side of potatoes and an individual shawarma platter. Damage was $90, but this included a tip for delivery. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'm more of a $70,000 pizza guy myself.

https://youtu.be/F4Y3Pkn95GI
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Covid prices? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    What is it stuffed with?  Dollar bills?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Is the pizza joint in DC?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    If you go to Giordano's, you'll drop $30 on a medium pie
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I’m on a keto kick right not but back when we were eating pizza I was buying dough balls from a local chain 3 for $5.  I was making my own dough but I almost couldn’t make them for that price. Not sure what they would charge now but I’m sure it’s still reasonable. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    No chain - just a small mom and pop shop known mostly for their sandwiches.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Since I moved out of the Chicago area to Missouri I order my Stuffed Pizza from Giordano's  in Chicago and get two for $77.00 Shipped to my door within two days. I get the Cheese and Italian Sausage. I is made by putting a thin crust in a deep dish pan the putting Sausage and cheese in then another crust on top with slits cut in and sauce poured in on top. It comes with Extra Sauce and the instructions on how to prepare it. I love them and for me it is worth the money to be able to enjoy one of my favorites. I still have one in the freezer for a nice dinner some night.
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    Options
    I need more details. How thick was the pizza? What was it stuffed with? How many slices? Cornbread crust? Extra cheese? You know, cheese prices have really shot up recently!
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    The Giordano's Pizza is about 1-1/2" deep and the bottom area has a lot of cheese and sausage in it. When it is done baking and you take it out of the oven and slice it you can get 8 slices or with just the wife and I 4 slices. It is a 10" pizza delivered frozen with two pizza's in the order. We are now in our 70's and when we first started going to Giordano's in Chicago we would get a large but as we have grown older we are now down to a small pizza. When you slice the hot pizza the cheese will run out on your plate. No Cornbread crust it is a regular Italian pizza crust. Since we have moved to Nixa, Mo. we get our Pizza from Casey's. It is so close to a Chicago style pizza in Crust and sauce and we have not found any others to come close in flavor. We get it with double sauce because we like it saucey.
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    The Giordano's Pizza is about 1-1/2" deep and the bottom area has a lot of cheese and sausage in it. When it is done baking and you take it out of the oven and slice it you can get 8 slices or with just the wife and I 4 slices. It is a 10" pizza delivered frozen with two pizza's in the order. We are now in our 70's and when we first started going to Giordano's in Chicago we would get a large but as we have grown older we are now down to a small pizza. When you slice the hot pizza the cheese will run out on your plate. No Cornbread crust it is a regular Italian pizza crust. Since we have moved to Nixa, Mo. we get our Pizza from Casey's. It is so close to a Chicago style pizza in Crust and sauce and we have not found any others to come close in flavor. We get it with double sauce because we like it saucey.
    That sounds incredible.  I’ve never had true Chicago pizza.  But do you still order from Giordanos or get at this other place Casey’s?
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    RRP said:
    Chicago Grill I'm guessing? I've heard good things and wanted to try it out, but haven't had a chance to. I knew it was expensive, but prices must have gone up since the last time I looked.
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2021
    Options
    RRP said:
    I agree.  That's a bit much unless they're putting lobster on it.  Pass.

LBGE/Maryland
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    better sell more gaskets.  =)   That reminds me, I need a few.  I will email you.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Chicago style “pizza” is a casserole. Good casserole, sure. 
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Like an enchilada pie, but pizza?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm assuming this is the Chicago style stuffed? I was curious and checked the closest place (Nancy's) and one of their signature pizzas with the common toppings like sausage, onions, peppers is $34.  

I had it at a friends house and it was good. This style of pizza is really thick so each slice is like eating a pizza casserole. One slice should be plenty for most people. I would estimate the slice I ate was about 1000 calories. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I think it's stuffed with a 3 cheese blend and THAT is the reason for the high cost. 
    Do you have any tips for how I can make a three-cheese blend? Maybe a video?
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Like a pasta-less lasagna?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    I think the south calls it chili
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Heck no. I do like Chicago stuffed pizza, but limited.  I prefer to be able to eat more slices.
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Heck no. I do like Chicago stuffed pizza, but limited.  I prefer to be able to eat more slices.
    Me too!  I like the places that will double cut a pie for me, twice as many slices!
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    I don’t understand.  Doesn’t that make it not lasagna?
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Me too!  I like the places that will double cut a pie for me, twice as many slices!

A guy walks into a pizza shop and orders a large cheese pizza. The counterman ask "Do you want that cut into six slices or eight?".  The guy thinks about it for a minute and says

"Better make it six. I don't think I could eat eight slices"