Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Pizza Cook

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited March 2021 in EggHead Forum
My future DIL has a new Ooni oven as a result of this discussion: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1227054/roccbox-or-ooni#latest. She’s struggling a bit so I thought I’d take pics of a pizza cook for her to see a bit of the workflow. There’s nothing noteworthy about this cook other than I took a bunch of pics. Since I have said pics I thought I’d post a discussion and share. 

She thought it might be another way to use the kale from the garden. We had Swiss Chard at one time but it didn’t survive snowmaggedon. I’ve discovered kale and chives are nearly indestructible. 

I started a fire in the oven about 3:00 PM. The plan is to eat about 6:30. 

I just add wood along to saturate the oven. About 5:30 I browned  the Italian sausage (no pics). Then I cooked down some kale along with a bit of bacon and some thinly sliced onion. 

We enjoyed some bacon wrapped dates and an adult beverage. When SWMBO decided she was hungry I went to work. First is the mise en place: 

Opening up a dough ball

A bit of Parmesan and rosemary. 

Then sausage and kale. 

Ricotta cheese

Mozzarella and more Parmesan and rosemary 

Into the oven 

Done in 90-120 seconds

We really enjoyed this pizza. The crispy kale and creamy ricotta was a nice contrast in textures. I was surprised how well the rosemary and kale went together. 
Cheers y’all and thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options
    That looks good
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That looks wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    That...is awesome!! Holy Mackinaw!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Beautiful! Truly
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Wow great crust and perfect char on that. 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Wow, I feel like I just went to pizza class and yes that is awesome. I can't wait to get into this!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a grand slam homer to me 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice 'za!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Pizza is a fun cook - be it on the egg, an Ooni, or a brick oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fabulous. 

You may want to let Bon Appetit know that you made it mo’ bettah. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Pizza is a fun cook - be it on the egg, an Ooni, or a brick oven. 
    Or an electric oven in your kitchen... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Carolina Q Absolutely. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Killed it !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Killer looking pie!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Setting the bar quite high for the future DIL.  :)   Very nice cook and write up.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    Looks perfectly cooked. What was the oven temp ?
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Looks perfectly cooked. What was the oven temp ?
    Floor temp runs around 600-650 degrees. Dome temp is usually around 850-900 degrees. Depending on the actual flame across the dome, pizzas cook in between 90 and 120 seconds or so. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon