Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for a pork butt.

Options
Good Morning!  Sun is out in Michigan!  It’s been awhile since I have done a pork butt. This is a small bone in , under 5lbs. How long do you folks think it will take? Thanks 
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Typically over 1 hour per pound at 250.   About 1 hour per pound at 275.  35-40 minutes per pound at 350, but I wouldn't do that with one that small.  But it's done when it probes like "buttah" and/or the bone pulls out.  Typically around 195-208 degrees.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If you cook at 250-275 and don’t wrap it will take 6-8 hours. Don’t forget to give yourself time for the rest. You can leave it on the counter tented with foil for a minimum of 30 minutes. The rest on a butt isn’t as important as with a brisket but still a good idea. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    otter said:
    Good Morning!  Sun is out in Michigan!  It’s been awhile since I have done a pork butt. This is a small bone in , under 5lbs. How long do you folks think it will take? Thanks 
    I've never done one that small, so nothing to add other than to suggest keeping a BGE cooking log noting weight, cook temp and total time needed.  I just checked my own log and my smallest was 8lb.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    With only two of us eating, I normally cut butts in half so 4-5 lb is my normal cook. I plan around two hours per pound at 250 and even if it finishes early I can wrap and keep warm. No late supper for me.

Cooking on the coast
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    edited March 2021
    Options
    6 lbs took me 6h 45 min to cook a couple of weeks ago, at 275F indirect. Did not wrap. Details with pictures are here:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225172/pork-shoulder#latest

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    At 225°F 2+ hours/pound if brined.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky