Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Reverse Seared Tri-Tip

joshpounds90
joshpounds90 Posts: 38
edited February 2021 in Beef
Decided that our second snowstorm of the year was the perfect time to smoke a 2lb. tri-tip. Only difficulty was getting my egg thawed so I could get a fire going in the first place, since it was frozen shut. Had to light a small fire in the very bottom with a couple of smaller lumps of hardwood and wait about a half hour before I could actually get the lid open, but it finally went. About three hours before, I marinated the beef in red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon, cayenne, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper & dried thyme. After pulling it out of the fridge, I rubbed it liberally with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder.

Brought my dome temp. to 225°F indirect and left the lid closed for about an hour and a half with my probe in. Pulled it when it reached 135°F internal and went inside to give it a nice sear in the cast iron.

Seared each side for about two and a half minutes. Internal temp. was around 140°F when it went to rest on the cutting board for fifteen minutes before slicing.

This turned out perfect. Had leftovers the next morning as steak & eggs for breakfast and was blown away by the flavor. Marinating for a few hours before smoking was totally worth it. Highly recommend the reverse seared tri-tip as a quick, easy smoke.
Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks great to me!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That is what perfect looks like to me.  Well executed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    That is bringing it home, right there.  Great cook.  Nailed it!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nice work!  I never get tired of seeing these.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice!

have only done tri-tip twice, but didn't think it was excellent either time. Thanks for the detailed recipe. I may not be able to screw it up next time :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Very nice looking.  Betting the breakfast was fabulous, too bad there is no pic.  :)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    edited February 2021
    Great timing Josh I’m cooking one tomorrow. I’m going to use your marinade. Thanks, yours looks great.@joshpounds90.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    yummy looking tri-tip!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Looks really good. I need to try a tri-tip
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    That looks great. Tri tip is not readily/easily available in my neck of the woods. I grab one every time I can. Nice job!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Wow that looks great.  Thanks for the details!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    caliking said:
    Nice!

have only done tri-tip twice, but didn't think it was excellent either time. Thanks for the detailed recipe. I may not be able to screw it up next time :)
    @caliking what?! You are missing some delicious beef. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Nice!

I sense that. Places in TX don’t readily stock tri-tip. 

But... picked up wagyu tri-tips not too long ago. Did one SV this past weekend ,  then seared on the egg. It was farkin marvelous! Now I know what the BFD re: tri-tip is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Nice!

I sense that. Places in TX don’t readily stock tri-tip. 

But... picked up wagyu tri-tips not too long ago. Did one SV this past weekend ,  then seared on the egg. It was farkin marvelous! Now I know what the BFD re: tri-tip is. 
    @caliking that's a bummer they don't carry it.  we just get plain old whatever grade cow and it's great - i can't imagine the wagyu!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle