Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can we discuss how we are going to prepare Synthetic Meat on a Big Green Egg?

Options

So Bill Gates is in the news quite a bit lately with projections, transformation ideas etc. regarding the carbon footprint. If this proves out to be the way to go.......you better stock up and or better start planning your cooking methods. Interesting article....but  https://www.westernjournal.com/bill-gates-calls-us-move-100-synthetic-beef/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=empowerconservatives&fbclid=IwAR2KYlNHqZnnWEKF1a4WnyXmvMbX3dbs7Tje8SSBdeXMYexbF1eBx3kKzOc
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We need synthetic charcoal.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Wine

almost half way there, start by cracking a bottle of synthetic wine (2020 was a good year) and after dinner cap it off with a synthetic whiskey.  im sure bill gates has a large synthetic bourbon  collection started
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanabandoim/2020/02/23/tricking-your-taste-buds-startup-makes-synthetic-wine-in-a-lab/?sh=599f38a13f37

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don’t care what the carbon foot print is , that crap will never see my Egg . When woke politicians and celebrities stop using private jets, I may start paying attention to their carbon concerns . 
    I'm sure you'd start listening to people like Leo DiCaprio were he living out of a tent and kayaking to all of his overseas film shoots.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I might try and clean my grid with synthetic meat, then toss it with the grease in the garbage bin.  Bill Gates can shove it if he thinks I'm going to pick that crap over real meat.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I don’t care what the carbon foot print is , that crap will never see my Egg . When woke politicians and celebrities stop using private jets, I may start paying attention to their carbon concerns . 
    I'm sure you'd start listening to people like Leo DiCaprio were he living out of a tent and kayaking to all of his overseas film shoots.   
    In the 60 Minutes segment with Bill Gates last Sunday this question was asked of him. He did say he had one of the largest carbon footprints on earth but that he pays roughly $7 million a year for technologies that offset all of it.  I am impressed. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited February 2021
    Options
    "Synthetic Meat"  nope, going to let this go, must resist
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Ten years from now is the price of US produced beef going to be cheaper, about the same, more expensive? How about twenty years from now? Thirty years?
    Faux meat may be the only kind most folks can afford.
    We need another Simon vs. Ehrlich type of wager. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    "Synthetic Meat"  nope, going to let this go, must resist
    I am certain SRF will have the absolute bestest Synthetic meat money can buy.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    edited February 2021
    Options
    In the 60 Minutes segment with Bill Gates last Sunday this question was asked of him. He did say he had one of the largest carbon footprints on earth but that he pays roughly $7 million a year for technologies that offset all of it.  I am impressed. 
    Sounds like a lot of money, doesn't it? 

Gates has a net worth that I think is somewhere north of 100 billion.  Let's think about someone who has a net worth of a million dollars instead.  Still plenty of money, and some of us probably actually know people like that, right?  We can wrap our heads around someone being a millionaire, whereas with billionaires it's really hard to get a point of reference.  

Well what Gates is donating to offset is equivalent to that millionaire donating about $70 a year. Nevertheless, good for Gates offsetting at all.  Many people with his wealth do not.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't so much about Gates and his carbon footprint, but rather his role in society.  He's a businessman and a philanthropist, and that's great, but he's not a climate scientist.  

• northGAcock
    Options
    In a meritocracy, our climate discourse would be driven by climate science and policy experts rather than the guy who gave us the Windows operating system.  Just an observation.  
    As @GATraveller stated above, he had some very impressive thoughts. My belief his he is using his name as a public influencer build awareness. I don't think he is taking on the mission himself. His point is that technology will be a key enabler in solving the problems.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In a meritocracy, our climate discourse would be driven by climate science and policy experts rather than the guy who gave us the Windows operating system.  Just an observation.  
    As @GATraveller stated above, he had some very impressive thoughts. My belief his he is using his name as a public influencer build awareness. I don't think he is taking on the mission himself. His point is that technology will be a key enabler in solving the problems.
    No disagreement there.  
  • fishlessman
    Options

Gates has a net worth that I think is somewhere north of 100 billion.  Let's think about someone who has a net worth of a million dollars instead.  Still plenty of money, and some of us probably actually know people like that, right?  We can wrap our heads around someone being a millionaire, whereas with billionaires it's really hard to get a point of reference.  

Well what Gates is donating to offset is equivalent to that millionaire donating about $70 a year. Nevertheless, good for Gates offsetting at all.  Many people with his wealth do not.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't so much about Gates and his carbon footprint, but rather his role in society.  He's a businessman and a philanthropist, and that's great, but he's not a climate scientist.  

i think ive only known one millionaire, he raised chickens for eggs, his wife had the egg delivery route. put a new boiler in for him to heat the farm house, there was a nail in a column next to the job. his biggest concern was the nail, it was where he hung his ragged work coat at days end. well actually 2 millionaires, his kid inherited the farm and cashed it in. didnt like the kid
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

i think ive only known one millionaire, he raised chickens for eggs, his wife had the egg delivery route. put a new boiler in for him to heat the farm house, there was a nail in a column next to the job. his biggest concern was the nail, it was where he hung his ragged work coat at days end. well actually 2 millionaires, his kid inherited the farm and cashed it in. didnt like the kid
    Never change, fish.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Just realized another benefit to being old (beyond the covid vaccine), I won't be here once this gets rolling. 
    Could be an interesting Friday night topic.  Drop in to enjoy the exchanges.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options

Never change, fish.

im just jealous of the old man, imagine walking into the dealer for a new dodge truck with your checkbook in hand and driving away with that truck. now imagine driving it straight to my shop to remove the gas tank and put it behind the seat where it belongs, where its always been. imagine having multiple millions and being concerned where and how you are going to hang your dirty coat. they dont make these people anymore
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Low and slow, smoked with pecan, until the toothpick tells me it is done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Long term, we need to control the earth's population. 
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I agree, but that’s not the situation we find ourselves in. Thanks to all the money that the fossil fuel industry throws at climate denial, we are still having the debate as to whether or not climate change is even real. The experts on the matter don’t have the means to effectively lead the discourse. Glad somebody does. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Long term, we need to control the earth's population. 
    I doubt this pandemic is helping with the earths population. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited February 2021
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DainW said:
    I agree, but that’s not the situation we find ourselves in. Thanks to all the money that the fossil fuel industry throws at climate denial, we are still having the debate as to whether or not climate change is even real. The experts on the matter don’t have the means to effectively lead the discourse. Glad somebody does. 
    Thus the “in a meritocracy” clause.