Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Oysters

Options
Tonight it was grilled oysters.  What a meal!!!

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Hard to beat Drago’s styled oysters- I would kill a plate of those right now. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Nice meal and awesome setup.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    They look great. Love the set up as well.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I love grilled oysters. That was a nice feast. Really nice kitchen too. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Wow.  Just wow!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly Dang-a true banquet and a sweet set-up, as well. I would crush those.  
    Recipe for your topping should you care to share.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @lousubcap I am still experimenting with the topping. I don’t have a set recipe but here is the ingredient list.  Fresh chopped parsley, salt,  Parmesan, mozzarella, granulated garlic, hot sauce, Worcestershire, lemon zest and juice.  I didn’t like the texture of the cheese, parm didn’t melt smoothly.  Will try something different next time.  I bought 24 dozen oysters so lots of experiments left. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo!!! 👏🏾👏🏾

I dig the non-smoothness of the parm on grilled oysters. Adds a different texture to the bite. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @lousubcap I am still experimenting with the topping. I don’t have a set recipe but here is the ingredient list.  Fresh chopped parsley, salt,  Parmesan, mozzarella, granulated garlic, hot sauce, Worcestershire, lemon zest and juice.  I didn’t like the texture of the cheese, parm didn’t melt smoothly.  Will try something different next time.  I bought 24 dozen oysters so lots of experiments left. 
    I would ditch the mozzarella and hot sauce (add it later if you want), change to fresh garlic, add Italian seasoning and black pepper and dress with parsley after cooking. 
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Also, your grating your own parm right?  The store bought grated is crap. 
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly - Thanks for the recipe.  Always lookin to play around with the topping. 
    I use parmesan and romano as the cheeses, playing around with what I can glean from Drago's recipe.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Will try something different next time.  I bought 24 dozen oysters so lots of experiments left. 
    Quick question, how long can you store oysters, and how do you store them?  I can order a bigger bag of oysters, but living alone, it would take me awhile to consume.  How long could I cook them before they expire?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Posts like this are exactly why I love this forum!
    Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzd504
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    Will try something different next time.  I bought 24 dozen oysters so lots of experiments left. 
    Quick question, how long can you store oysters, and how do you store them?  I can order a bigger bag of oysters, but living alone, it would take me awhile to consume.  How long could I cook them before they expire?  

If you keep them on ice with the water draining (don't let them submerge), you can probably eat them cooked for about a week.  I wouldn't eat them raw for more than about 2 days.

If they are already shucked, basically same answer, but keep them in the fridge on ice.
    NOLA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow those look amazing!! Nice cook
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Botch These were IQF frozen. They claim they last for 18 months.  First time I have used them, after 2 years of spring flooding and the fresh water dumped into southeast Louisiana most of the reefs were killed. It will take 3 years to get them back so needless to say oysters here are scarce and expensive.  These were shipped in from Texas to a local wholesaler.
    Southeast Louisiana
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    There is nothing I enjoy more than Oysters on the egg, or any way to roast and smoke. one thing I have tried, and it kind of worked out really well, was using hand grated butterkase for the cheese on them. It will give you the texture I think you will seek, and will add a bit more to the smoke flavor, which I enjoyed.

Great set up, and hopefully when we relocate, the plan is to build an outdoor kitchen and entertainment area. Thank you for sharing. Awesome post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Tonight it was grilled oysters.  What a meal!!!

Indeed sir. Absolutely spectacular 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.