Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Sous Vide Newbie Q's -- OT

Options
Quick Q's from a newbie too lazy/fuzzy this Saturday morning to do his own deep dive into the interwebz, where answers and misinformation undoubtedly run free:
  1. How long does/can the protein sit in the vac bag before going into the bath?
  2. How long does/can the protein sit in the bath before going onto the CI?
  3. More/less seasoning than "usual" in the bag?
Any other tips?  I'll be trying out the new holiday gift tomorrow and am looking for the cheat codes before I get going and really need them.

Stay hungry (and healthy), my friends.
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    1. If it’s in the fridge, I’d say about a week.  In the freezer, just about forever if it’s vacuum sealed.

2. Are you asking how long to cook it in the SV bath?  That depends on what outcome you want, what the protein is, and how thick it is.  With SV, you need to think about time and temperature as another set of ingredients.

3. Less than usual, as it tends to intensify to some degree.  There are real debates on this, with some believing that not much more than salt penetrates during the SV process itself, and that you’re better off seasoning afterwards.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    1. If it’s in the fridge, I’d say about a week.  In the freezer, just about forever if it’s vacuum sealed.

2. Are you asking how long to cook it in the SV bath?  That depends on what outcome you want, what the protein is, and how thick it is.  With SV, you need to think about time and temperature as another set of ingredients.

3. Less than usual, as it tends to intensify to some degree.  There are real debates on this, with some believing that not much more than salt penetrates during the SV process itself, and that you’re better off seasoning afterwards.  
    Thx so much!

On Q1, I didn't know if I am "supposed" to sit the protein in the bag for a little or a long time before putting it in the bath.  Seems it doesn't much matter.

On Q2, I was wondering if I set the temp for 125, will it hold there for as long as it takes me to sober up enough to sear.  Seems like basic science says 125 will stay at 125 and I can have another drink.

On Q3, I'm not known for my delicate touch, seasoning-wise (and perhaps other-wise as well).  For the bone-in fillet mignon I've got thawed, I was thinking a pinch (ha!) of montreal, rosemary and a pat of butter (because butter).  I've just got to try to make a pinch a pinch instead of a PINCH. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Thx so much!

On Q1, I didn't know if I am "supposed" to sit the protein in the bag for a little or a long time before putting it in the bath.  Seems it doesn't much matter.

On Q2, I was wondering if I set the temp for 125, will it hold there for as long as it takes me to sober up enough to sear.  Seems like basic science says 125 will stay at 125 and I can have another drink.

On Q3, I'm not known for my delicate touch, seasoning-wise (and perhaps other-wise as well).  For the bone-in fillet mignon I've got thawed, I was thinking a pinch (ha!) of montreal, rosemary and a pat of butter (because butter).  I've just got to try to make a pinch a pinch instead of a PINCH. 

No need to sit it in the bag for a period of time before dropping it in the bath.  It can be dropped in as soon as it is sealed and the bath is ready.

Yes on Q2 lol.

Your plan on Q3 sounds just fine, but you probably don't need the butter.  I'd just hold off on using some until the end to baste the protein in when you're searing it.  
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    No need to sit it in the bag for a period of time before dropping it in the bath.  It can be dropped in as soon as it is sealed and the bath is ready.

Last one (maybe) . . . 

But is it ok to pop it into the bag early?  Would you expect any better results/flavor from a bag-sit for several hours or overnight?  When marinating proteins for egging, I bounce around from a few minutes to a few hours to overnight, with probably somewhat imagined differences in results (except, say, for dry brining chicken, which "needs" an overnight, open-air fridge sit to ensure the skin crisps the way I like it).  For sous vide, I'd think the longer the protein sits in the vac bag (under some vac pressure), the more intense the flavors ought to become over time.  But it's pure guesswork on my part and I've heard in other contexts that longer isn't  necessarily better (thankfully).

Thx for indulging me here.  I'm trying to cut some of the guesswork out of this before I cook a couple of nice pieces of meat for Sunday (2 bone-in fillet mignons and one boneless).  I'm inclined to vac them up now and leave them sit til tomorrow afternoon when I swallow hard and unbox the new anova.  But if the longer sit is going to give me problems, I'll just do the sealing and hot-tubbing tmw like someone who doesn't overthink every damn thing.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'd do some reading on time in the tub vs. texture. When I do a chuck roast it's in the tub for 48-ish hours. That's far longer than I would do a quality cut of steak.

You can season, vac, and freeze. I do the season/vac/freeze thing all the time when I get the wagon load of chicken breasts from Costco. Then whenever you are ready you can go right from the freezer into the tub (being frozen will add to the time to "cook" of course). If you have something sitting in the fridge and it doesn't look like you'll be able to actually cook it in a week or so just toss it in the freezer.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Last one (maybe) . . . 

But is it ok to pop it into the bag early?  Would you expect any better results/flavor from a bag-sit for several hours or overnight?  When marinating proteins for egging, I bounce around from a few minutes to a few hours to overnight, with probably somewhat imagined differences in results (except, say, for dry brining chicken, which "needs" an overnight, open-air fridge sit to ensure the skin crisps the way I like it).  For sous vide, I'd think the longer the protein sits in the vac bag (under some vac pressure), the more intense the flavors ought to become over time.  But it's pure guesswork on my part and I've heard in other contexts that longer isn't  necessarily better (thankfully).

Thx for indulging me here.  I'm trying to cut some of the guesswork out of this before I cook a couple of nice pieces of meat for Sunday (2 bone-in fillet mignons and one boneless).  I'm inclined to vac them up now and leave them sit til tomorrow afternoon when I swallow hard and unbox the new anova.  But if the longer sit is going to give me problems, I'll just do the sealing and hot-tubbing tmw like someone who doesn't overthink every damn thing.
    No problem doing that.  I often take a similar approach with other proteins.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    @HeavyG @JohnInCarolina thanks so much, guys. Very helpful. I’ll try to post some pix of my maiden voyage tmw. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @HeavyG @JohnInCarolina thanks so much, guys. Very helpful. I’ll try to post some pix of my maiden voyage tmw. 
    You’re gonna like the way you cook.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    You’re gonna like the way you cook.
    Men’s Eathouse. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    As long as people are answering sous vide questions and being all organized with numbers and such - let me see if I've got something right.

1) If I take a good cut of meat and sous vide it at some temp around 125-130 (depending on doneness preference) for an hour or so, the internal temp (if it is not too thick) will be at that temp and then I can sear it on the grill - and it will taste like a perfectly executed reverse sear.  Is that correct?

2) If I go longer - up to say 3.5 hours - I might get some additional tenderness due to additional meat/fat breakdown - so this might be good for tougher cuts - but in general, I don't want to go longer than 4 hours at a temp under 140.  Or is the concept of pasteurization in play in a predictable way such that - for example - if I'm over 130 it is safe out to 6 hours - or some such?

3) Switching gears from beef to chicken - I've heard that sous vide use on boneless chicken breast is a game changer.  I've done it twice and I haven't found that to be true - although I freely admit I haven't executed things perfectly and I used an online recipe (150 degrees) that is different from my Anova app recipe (140 degrees) - and I was in a rush both times and probably didn't go the full time.  What's the magic/ideal time/temp for chicken breast?

And fyi, sous vide carrots are a gamechanger.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    As long as people are answering sous vide questions and being all organized with numbers and such - let me see if I've got something right.

1) If I take a good cut of meat and sous vide it at some temp around 125-130 (depending on doneness preference) for an hour or so, the internal temp (if it is not too thick) will be at that temp and then I can sear it on the grill - and it will taste like a perfectly executed reverse sear.  Is that correct?

2) If I go longer - up to say 3.5 hours - I might get some additional tenderness due to additional meat/fat breakdown - so this might be good for tougher cuts - but in general, I don't want to go longer than 4 hours at a temp under 140.  Or is the concept of pasteurization in play in a predictable way such that - for example - if I'm over 130 it is safe out to 6 hours - or some such?

3) Switching gears from beef to chicken - I've heard that sous vide use on boneless chicken breast is a game changer.  I've done it twice and I haven't found that to be true - although I freely admit I haven't executed things perfectly and I used an online recipe (150 degrees) that is different from my Anova app recipe (140 degrees) - and I was in a rush both times and probably didn't go the full time.  What's the magic/ideal time/temp for chicken breast?

And fyi, sous vide carrots are a gamechanger.

Pasteurization can occur at as low as 131°F. I'd refer you to Baldwins page for deets about time/temp/thickness.

Keeping it in the tub at 131°F beyond a few hours is fine. You just start confronting the texture thing. I believe Serious Eats has done a bit talking about time/texture.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I strongly disagree with this thread being placed in the OT category.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Foghorn - I think your other questions have been answered, but to your last one on chicken - think of time on one axis and temperature on another.  If you’ve only done SV chicken twice, you’ve barely sampled the space.  

Personally I do SV chicken breasts all the time.  I use 62C for two hours, then flash cool and sear to finish.  But you really do need to play around to find a time/temp combo that gives you the resulting texture you want.  Regardless, what I can promise is that they’ll never come out dry.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Thanks to both of you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I strongly disagree with this thread being placed in the OT category.
    My bad!  But in fairness, It’s chilly here and my intent is to do all the cooking inside. I’ve got big CI skillet pretty well seasoned and I’m just not gonna fire up the egg today. Even tho my outdoor kitchen project finally finished up last Friday and I’m dying to get out and use it. The anova was a holiday gift from The Prince and I’ll give it a whirl for the reverse sear, although TBH I’m not at all sure this is an appliance I really need. Time will tell. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    This seems too easy, even for me. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Sooooo, the verdict is:  incredibly tender, perfect temp, good crust, intense, beefy flavor, BUT under-seasoned and missing something you get from reverse searing on the egg using charcoal as the fuel. Definitely going to continue my sous vide journey. I’ve got much more to learn. Thx for the kind advice!

Pic dump follows (out of order — thx vanilla):

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Look alike a winning cook to me!

Another easy one: Try a 2”-3” thick chuck roast seasoned with salt and pepper for 34-36 hours at 133F. Once done, apply your rub then sear.  Let me know what you think. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Did some boneless poke chaps.  In a bag with balsamic and garlic and Dijon. One hour at 136. Sear, reduce bag sauce in hot pan. So easy and so good!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2021
    Options
    man after reading all of that.  I leaned from the photos that at 76 degrees the plastic can touch the Amvona and not melt

Columbus, Ohio