Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have Covid-19

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
I haven’t posted in some time but I still touch base with the forum from time to time. I end up getting the virus at the first of this week and no clue where I got it from. My wife is a nurse so that’s a possibility and unfortunately I travel a lot for work. She has it and so does my 2 daughters age 6 and 18 months. Luckily my wife just lost taste and smell and has no other symptoms and my girls are having no issues and are as wild as ever which is a plus. I on the other hand am struggling. Started out with head congestion and not being able to breath through my nostrils. Now fever has set in. It will spike to 102+ and then break back to normal. I have a little fatigue but nothing to be alarmed about. I just lost taste and smell yesterday evening and now I have developed a dry cough. I think I have checked the box for all the symptoms. I’m reaching out to any members that has had the virus and to see how their experience went? I always wear my mask when out in public and social distance but it seems I might have been a little to careless and I’m paying the price. My oxygen level is staying at 98-100 at all times. I will say after this experience that I will be getting the vaccine as soon as its possible. I spoke with my doctor over the phone and he told me that I can get the virus again in 60-90 days from what they have been seeing with other patients. Stay safe everyone and Happy Holidays.

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    This went to the OT forum again.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• g8golfer
    Options
    Jesus. I will fix it AGAIN. Maybe the brain fog is getting the best of me.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Try this
    1. click on top banner to land yourself at the main page
    2. click on 'new discussion'
    3. select category 'egghead forum', DO NOT select 'off topic'
    4. continue as before
    good luck!

edit: hope you and family get better soon.
    canuckland
  • QDude
    Options
    How are you doing today?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• g8golfer
    Options
    QDude said:
    How are you doing today?
    Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been doing well. I think I finally am almost back to normal. Only issue I’m having is lost of taste and smell still but it’s coming back slowly. Wife and kids are great with no symptoms. We appreciate you checking in on us.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can "train" your body to get it's sense of smell (and taste) by smelling and tasting very strong known things.  Like open a can of coffee and smell it closely.  Do this will all kinds of things that smell, good and bad, and it will help your brain re-learn how to interpret smells.  The virus gets in the nerve cells and kills them.  Enough so you lose those senses.  But you have some nerve pathways in reserve, and you need rehab, as I described, if you want to get these senses back faster.  Sadly, there's a good possibility you will never smell (or taste) as well as you did before covid.  However, working with truckers (if you're still in that business), it might be a blessing of sorts. (no offense to truckers).
    Options
    You can "train" your body to get it's sense of smell (and taste) by smelling and tasting very strong known things.  Like open a can of coffee and smell it closely.  Do this will all kinds of things that smell, good and bad, and it will help your brain re-learn how to interpret smells.  The virus gets in the nerve cells and kills them.  Enough so you lose those senses.  But you have some nerve pathways in reserve, and you need rehab, as I described, if you want to get these senses back faster.  Sadly, there's a good possibility you will never smell (or taste) as well as you did before covid.  However, working with truckers (if you're still in that business), it might be a blessing of sorts. (no offense to truckers).
    Yeah I have been practicing with different smells and oils. I think I’m 30%-40% back. I can taste pickles, peppermint, hot sauces, coffee and etc. Yes I’m still in the trucking business and I have meet some interesting characters over the years. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Glad you haven't gone down the path of needing to be admitted, etc.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    Options
    Good to hear that you are doing better!  Don't be surprised though if it takes a while to get back to 100%.  I may have had it back in March and it kicked my butt for weeks - little energy, tired all of the time.  I hope you get your senses back soon.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. I haven't had it but a daughter (14) did. No symptoms whatsoever. Rest of us have stayed negative. 
    Stay safe out there. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Who told you that you have this?  Are you sure it’s not jus the flu?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @g8golfer - how’s it going man?  You feeling any better?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @g8golfer - how’s it going man?  You feeling any better?
    Sorry I forgot to hit you up with an update. Yeah I’m good. Got my taste and smell back a couple weeks ago. It kicked t butt for 2-3 days and then it was like it just went away other then the taste and smell. Wife and kids are fine no issues at all. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear that you're doing well. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Maybe john can start a non OT version of your thread.  Hope you keep healing.
    Memphis, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    Maybe john can start a non OT version of your thread.  Hope you keep healing.
    Hello Steve.  What’s great about your troll accounts is that you can’t help but expose yourself, because you’re an idiot.
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm not on here very often, so not sure what you're talking about, but I do notice how often John tries to make a post all about him.  Let's root on a fellow forum members healing process.  You  have other posts you can hijack.
    Memphis, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    I'm not on here very often, so not sure what you're talking about, but I do notice how often John tries to make a post all about him.  Let's root on a fellow forum members healing process.  You  have other posts you can hijack.
    You are not an intelligent person.