Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas "party" dinner

Options
We are hosting a Christmas party with our safe family and I am responsible for dinner.

I plan on doing prime rib and green lightning shrimp but I feel this is some what ordinary as I've done similar menus before. I'm looking to kick it up a bit, maybe with some new sides?

What do think/suggestions?

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I was in a similar quandary a few years ago and went with APL's beef tenderloin:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210685/serious-barbecue-adam-perry-lang-whole-beef-tenderloin-with-worcestershire-sauce/

Highly recommended.

Maybe instead of shrimp, go with crab or lobster?
    Mountain View, CA
  • onpoint456
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I was in a similar quandary a few years ago and went with APL's beef tenderloin:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210685/serious-barbecue-adam-perry-lang-whole-beef-tenderloin-with-worcestershire-sauce/

Highly recommended.

Thanks, I think I will give this a go. I was window shopping at Costco last week and they had both prime and choice. The price was about double for prime. 

What are your thoughts on choice vs prime for a whole tenderloin?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmourati said:

Highly recommended.

Thanks, I think I will give this a go. I was window shopping at Costco last week and they had both prime and choice. The price was about double for prime. 

What are your thoughts on choice vs prime for a whole tenderloin?
    With the 400 ingredients that APL normally adds I think choice would be fine for just about anything you do of his. The flavor is going to be in the rub/glaze/spritz/board dressing. The subtle difference you would get from the additional fat in a tenderloin will be completely drowned out by the big flavors APL likes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    And good luck finding a spring from a young sassafras tree.
    And good luck finding a spring from a young sassafras tree.
    Lol thanks. Sassafras grows like a weed here in va 😉
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    "Sprig" sorry, autocorrect 
    Options
    Kroger sells crab cakes in the butcher section. Very tasty for a surf and turf. And French onion soup is a great appetizer before the steak. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I don't disagree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker very often (and when I do, I'm usually wrong), but for tenderloin I've always thought that the difference between prime and choice is worth the cost for a special meal.  It's such a lean cut that the added tenderness of prime meat is noticeable to my crowd.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Debating between prime rib or beef tenderloin using APL’s recipe for Christmas dinner but I’ve never cooked either. What’s the cook time per pound for a prime rib and for a beef tenderloin?  That may make the decision. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I don't disagree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker very often (and when I do, I'm usually wrong), but for tenderloin I've always thought that the difference between prime and choice is worth the cost for a special meal.  It's such a lean cut that the added tenderness of prime meat is noticeable to my crowd.  

I agree it's better but I'm not sure it's 2x the price better.  But then again I'm a cheap bastard.   For Ribeye I prefer the choice because I find prime way too fatty and I leave a lot of that fat on the plate when I'm done.
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Debating between prime rib or beef tenderloin using APL’s recipe for Christmas dinner but I’ve never cooked either. What’s the cook time per pound for a prime rib and for a beef tenderloin?  That may make the decision. 
    They both get cooked to very similar IT's, and use similar "roasting" (indirect) setups in the Egg.  They are going to have very similar, pound for pound, cooking time.  If you have bones to act as your roasting rack with a prime rib, it may take a little longer.  But, overall, pretty comparable in my experience.

Edit to add:  What a wonderful problem to have!  Good luck with your cook!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    They both get cooked to very similar IT's, and use similar "roasting" (indirect) setups in the Egg.  They are going to have very similar, pound for pound, cooking time.  If you have bones to act as your roasting rack with a prime rib, it may take a little longer.  But, overall, pretty comparable in my experience.

Edit to add:  What a wonderful problem to have!  Good luck with your cook!
    Thanks for the info. The APL recipe from above isn't indirect cooking. Is that a mid to the directions? Our should I stick to direct, sear first method?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I just noticed that.  I like indirect to catch the juices.  I guess I normally think indirect for those types of cuts.

Either way, I think they will cook similarly, time-wise. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Thank you all, dinner turned out great. I deviated a little from the recipe above. Ingredients stayed the same but instead of high heat direct, I opted for 275 indirect reverse sear.

Beef was served with green lightning shrimp, pineapple head sous vide carrots and garlic thyme smashed potatoes.