Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked SRF Maple Bourbon Pepper Bacon—Pic Heavy

Options
Title pretty much says it all. 

Brining started 9/28. After 13 days in the cure (longer than planned), it rested in butcher paper in the garage fridge til I finally got around to slicing and sealing it up today.

Much simpler wet brine this time resulted in much cleaner flavor. 6 lbs of belly yielded 5-ish lbs sliced and sealed, with the ends and ripped pieces set aside for sammies later this week. The “tester” pieces we tried suggest this batch may not last that long. 

Thx for looking!

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Wow! Looks awesome!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Damn.  I am impressed!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Wooderson
    Options
    Love the rig!!!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,340
    Options
    That is a great outcome with a top -shelf product.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks awesome!
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Mother of God that sounds and looks good.

Love the SRF pork belly.  If you ever have a chance to make the pork belly burnt ends with one of those... sublime.

Deets on the brine?  I'm assuming the maple and bourbon was mixed in with that, but if you don't mind sharing your recipe I'd be interested to give this a shot.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options

Love the SRF pork belly.  If you ever have a chance to make the pork belly burnt ends with one of those... sublime.

Deets on the brine?  I'm assuming the maple and bourbon was mixed in with that, but if you don't mind sharing your recipe I'd be interested to give this a shot.  
    Soooooo . . . I always use Meathead's recipe as my guide, ignoring his admonition against cold smoking of course.  His maple bacon recipe is here:  https://amazingribs.com/best-maple-bacon-recipe, but I modified it a bit by cutting the brown sugar in half, proportionally replacing some of the water with bourbon and maple syrup, and adding lots and lots of pepper (although it could have taken even more in my book).  The syrup, btw, was this hipster stuff from Brooklyn (Trees Knees Coffee Maple) that I enjoyed as a gift and then bought some more after the tiny-bottle quickly ran dry.  It's stupid expensive, but I was already azz deep with the SRF belly and since we're in covid-times I figured why not use the good stuff?  Here it is:  https://bushwickkitchen.com/products/trees-knees-coffee-maple).  

I still haven't burnt ended the SRF belly . . . it's on the list, but I've got to wait for the SRF sale to lay in some more slabs.  They are gorgeous and, @lousubcap, like everything from SRF that I'm fortunate to get my hands on, they simultaneously add pressure not to eff-it up and make it difficult to eff-it up bc they are so freaking good.

Next up is another nova lox project.  I've got a local source for pretty good whole sides of salmon, but would love any suggestions for a reputable purveyor that will ship sides of salmon rather than portioned-out cuts. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Soooooo . . . I always use Meathead's recipe as my guide, ignoring his admonition against cold smoking of course.  His maple bacon recipe is here:  https://amazingribs.com/best-maple-bacon-recipe, but I modified it a bit by cutting the brown sugar in half, proportionally replacing some of the water with bourbon and maple syrup, and adding lots and lots of pepper (although it could have taken even more in my book).  The syrup, btw, was this hipster stuff from Brooklyn (Trees Knees Coffee Maple) that I enjoyed as a gift and then bought some more after the tiny-bottle quickly ran dry.  It's stupid expensive, but I was already azz deep with the SRF belly and since we're in covid-times I figured why not use the good stuff?  Here it is:  https://bushwickkitchen.com/products/trees-knees-coffee-maple).  

Thanks man, I appreciate this.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike