Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Holiday Shopping- In store, online, and "Truck-Ageddon"

Options
TLDR: Retail stores will be a nightmare this year and trucking capacity is not near enough to handle online holiday demand. Shop now or get ready to be disappointed.

Just wanted to give you guys a quick heads up and hopefully help you avoid some holiday stress and heartache this year.

WalMart has announced that it will be limiting in-store Black Friday and holiday traffic to 20% of store capacity due to coronavirus concerns. As WM goes, so goes the rest of the retail community so expect very long lines and/or very limited access to retail stores around the holidays.

Retailers will be pushing their best promotions on their websites to encourage people to shop online to keep store traffic down as much as possible. Online sales are already shattering records with many people shopping from home these days. With limited access to stores, online sales are expected to test the limits of capacity in many areas this year. The one that is already broken and expected to get way worse as holiday approaches is trucking- especially UPS/FedEx (although OTR trucks are already a nightmare too).

Not only does UPS handle a huge % of the things you order from Amazon, they also handle most of the drop ship items you order from any site you like to shop. FedEx picks up the rest of that and many people use FedEx because Amazon takes up so much of the UPS capacity. In many cases, when you order something from Amazon, Wayfair, Target, or your favorite independent website, those orders come to the manufacturers like me and we send them direct to you in the name of the retailer you bought from. 100% of those orders are shipped UPS/FedEx.

Why am I sharing this? Because of the limited access to stores this holiday and the anticipated surge to the already over-stressed online shopping pipeline, we are getting word from both UPS and FedEx that they will be millions of trucks short this holiday season. They are already telling us that 12/15 is the last possible date to order something online and expect to get it before Christmas. That number is tightening weekly. I bet that number is closer to 12/1 or even Black Friday for many retailers/manufacturers before this is over. We are already seeing slowdowns, cancels, no-shows from FedEx and UPS, and the grind has not even started yet. It's going to get ugly.

None of this even takes into account that many of us are already oversold due to shift of people being home more (tried to buy BGE accessories or lump lately?).  Many things are going to be harder to find and harder to get to you if you do find them.

My advice to you is to shop now if you can and don't wait past Black Friday if you are hoping to score a few deals. Keep an eye out for early hot deals; I believe that promotions will come early this year to take advantage of the limited trucking capacity that is available. Get as much done as early as you can or there are going to be some frowny faces around the tree this year.

Get ready for a bumpy ride. Be Early, Be Fast, Be Nimble.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Thanks for the PSA.  What a friggin ride 2020 is.  I will be da-n sure to see it into the rear view mirror on 12/31-perhaps even a few time zones worth just to make sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Black Friday?  The 2020 version should be called the black plague because it'll throw some gasoline on the spread.
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the PSA.  What a friggin ride 2020 is.  I will be da-n sure to see it into the rear view mirror on 12/31-perhaps even a few time zones worth just to make sure.  
    If you think your favorite shipping company is bad now, grab a beer and enjoy the show. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you think your favorite shipping company is bad now, grab a beer and enjoy the show. 
    I ordered a sump pump from Northern and tracked it to delivery. Did not show.
    Three days after I called Northern and told them it did not arrive after fedex said it did.I found it two days later out behind the chicken coop in the dirt (100 yards from the house). I swear the driver threw it out on the way through the property.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I ordered a sump pump from Northern and tracked it to delivery. Did not show.
    Three days after I called Northern and told them it did not arrive after fedex said it did.I found it two days later out behind the chicken coop in the dirt (100 yards from the house). I swear the driver threw it out on the way through the property.
    I can top that. I ordered 3 butcher steels July 22. One of them came in August. One of them came this Tuesday. One of them has not come. All of them show delivered on July 26. Go figure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    We bought 90% of the kiddos presents already. Everything left will be items we can easily head to any Target store and pick up. SWMBO made sure we started earlier this month so we could get it over with and make sure what we ordered got here on time.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I've shared it here before, but I'll share again.  I ordered a large color laser printer.  Should have been next day even with ups ground.  (Chicago to Grand Rapids MI) It was fun tracking it throughout the week.  Last I knew, tracking showed it in Buenos Aires Argentina. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Appreciate the heads up!  TY
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    We are back to one day and two day shipping from Amazon, I guess that won't last. Should be a good year if someone wants a second seasonal job for extra Christmas money.

I have waited on a few purchases knowing prices will be down for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but maybe I shouldn't hold back.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    We are back to one day and two day shipping from Amazon, I guess that won't last. Should be a good year if someone wants a second seasonal job for extra Christmas money.

I have waited on a few purchases knowing prices will be down for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but maybe I shouldn't hold back.
    We are too this week. 

We have not seen the rush of orders start yet at work either. It usually comes within the next week or so. I imagine people are probably focused on the election this week and then...hold on tight. 

This is always a weird time for retail and those of us who support it. Quiet before the storm kind of thing. 
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I can't even imagine what this holiday season will look like. Regarding packages, each year always seems to be greater than the previous one. And since March many days have been "Christmas like."  Our Amazon delivery on Sunday has turned from a 4 hr morning run for the newbies into a full workday for as many volunteers as they can get. Our OT guys are working 7 days a week often 12-14 hrs/day. It's going to be insane.

I am taking the last of my annual leave for the year this week. Quite frankly, I don't trust the subs to do the job right. Lots of seasonal help will be hired soon and you get what you would expect with that. And it has become a little ritual of mine to take advantage of the overtime opportunity that comes along anyway. And plus, I want an offset smoker!

Listen to CT. Order early. I'm seeing really good Black Friday deals starting tomorrow at Walmart. And best of luck to all with your deliveries this year!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We just got word that Wednesday is the last day of the month we can deliver by Christmas via FedEx and 15th is the last day for UPS. Get your orders in now folks. It is happening.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Heeded your advice out of the gate.  Much appreciated.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Go with the five letter company...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95