Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Instant Vortex Pro 10 qt Air Fryer Oven recipes??? : OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
I bought this (friggen) thing for several reasons, but let’s not go there.

MUCH to our disappointment the friggen thing didn’t come with even a couple SIMPLE how to use recipes!

I(WE) have tried to search for any. And it looks like Instant Pot doesn’t bother. 

Anybody care to share their proven recipes, how to’s, or simple links? Honest - had I known this would be the case I would not have wasted my money! And I’d advise others to read my thread first before wasting their money! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It looks nice.

Basically this is a convection oven with a PID controller.  Hope that helps.
    Here is a video with a slightly hotter host:

https://youtu.be/G210O7xEcEA

Don’t share with Pat, Ron!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Those breasts look terrific! 
    Options
    On the chicken,  you perverts.
    Options
    RRP said:
    I bought this (friggen) thing for several reasons
    Let me take a shot in the dark. Because you have to much time and money on your hands  :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    And I’d advise others to read my thread first before wasting their money! 
    Good advice Ron. Some of us less fortunate folks do not have money to waste 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    My mother in law has an Emeril air fryer and loves it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I have an old neighbor that hawks an airfryer on HSN.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

Ron has a nice kitchen!  Oh, wait....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • thetrim
    Options
    Any word on how it cooks brisket?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Main thing I use mine for is wings.  Salt pepper and baking powder a couple of hours before and then into the fridge on a rack.  Cook about 19 minutes at 400, flipping halfway.  I don't season them because I usually dredge them in buffalo sauce and let the sauce set in the oven at 175.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Main thing I use mine for is wings.  Salt pepper and baking powder a couple of hours before and then into the fridge on a rack.  Cook about 19 minutes at 400, flipping halfway.  I don't season them because I usually dredge them in buffalo sauce and let the sauce set in the oven at 175.
    That all sounds pretty good man.  How do you like them compared to what comes off a grill?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    That all sounds pretty good man.  How do you like them compared to what comes off a grill?

I like them better, actually - but they're almost a different product.  While I love a smoked chicken, I usually don't want my wings to have a lot of smoke.  I try to get my wings closer to "bar-style" wings - not breaded and crispy out of the fryer.  The air-fryer comes pretty close to that without all the oil.  Yes, I know it's just a convection oven, but the proximity to the heat source crisps them up pretty nicely (the baking powder helps with that). 

I do occasionally enjoy smoked wings (and putting a little smoke on them before the air fryer would be good too), but there is a lot to be said for bar-style buffalo wings while watching the game.
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    I bought this (friggen) thing for several reasons, but let’s not go there.

MUCH to our disappointment the friggen thing didn’t come with even a couple SIMPLE how to use recipes!

I(WE) have tried to search for any. And it looks like Instant Pot doesn’t bother. 

Anybody care to share their proven recipes, how to’s, or simple links? Honest - had I known this would be the case I would not have wasted my money! And I’d advise others to read my thread first before wasting their money! 
    Ron,
    You going to show us any cooks with your new toy?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Options
    Believe it or not last night was my first use! It was a Cornish Game Hen merely rubbed with some canola oil and then hit with salt and pepper. It was FANTASTIC! Super moist! That rotisserie function is a wining feature.

I have yet to buy a cookbook - but will - though I'm not sure how much I will use this cooker. Spring Hen & Chicken have given me a couple suggestions - but just for sides. They have a different brand, but my gut tells me both of our units probably came out of the same factory - but just in different boxes!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Glad you managed to have a good outcome here, Ron.  That game hen looks just about perfect.
  • RRP
    Options
    Glad you managed to have a good outcome here, Ron.  That game hen looks just about perfect.
    Thanks, John - and the funny thing is I just winged it for the time so it really was beginners luck!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I has a convection oven. Do I need an air fryer? or do they do the same thing?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    GregW said:
    They do the exact same thing. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    GregW said:
    They do the exact same thing. 
    Correct-O Scottie! I just have a dumb old electric oven that just heats. This counter top hot air fryer model has both a rotisserie and a rotating basket (which I haven't used). That rotating motion adds something I don't have in my BGE nor inside so THAT is the appeal to me.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Thanks @RRP and @SGH, your answer saved me a purchase. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Believe it or not last night was my first use! It was a Cornish Game Hen merely rubbed with some canola oil and then hit with salt and pepper. It was FANTASTIC! Super moist! That rotisserie function is a wining feature.

I have yet to buy a cookbook - but will - though I'm not sure how much I will use this cooker. Spring Hen & Chicken have given me a couple suggestions - but just for sides. They have a different brand, but my gut tells me both of our units probably came out of the same factory - but just in different boxes!
    BTW - the 2nd video link posted here earlier showed a gal who I believe cooled a 4# bird. She trussed it real well. 

My s-i-l was interested in buying one of these units but just doing 1 CGH for them wouldn't be enough. So my suggestion to her (which I can only TRY to explain here) was that the rotisserie rod has one "prong" on each end which can be directional. I believe with a bit of effort a person could cook 2 CGHs by carefully backing them "ex-head to ex-butt" (IOW with legs pointing away) and then trussing them together quite well it can be done!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

BTW - the 2nd video link posted here earlier showed a gal who I believe cooled a 4# bird. She trussed it real well. 

My s-i-l was interested in buying one of these units but just doing 1 CGH for them wouldn't be enough. So my suggestion to her (which I can only TRY to explain here) was that the rotisserie rod has one "prong" on each end which can be directional. I believe with a bit of effort a person could cook 2 CGHs by carefully backing them "ex-head to ex-butt" (IOW with legs pointing away) and then trussing them together quite well it can be done!
    Before I got the 2nd set of forks for my Weber rotisserie, I did 2 chickens by trussing them up and putting them on with the legs meeting in the center at 180 rotation to each other and tied the legs of the 2 birds together in the center and the forks secure into each breast.
    This held solidly for entire cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options

We love rotisserie chicken and have the instant pot toaster oven/air fryer at our vacation place in Florida. That model will also do a 4lb chicken but I couldn’t find any birds that small. No problem here in Canada but most of the chicken I see in the south is huge. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario