Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why?

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
https://atlantagrillcompany.com/products/kamado-joe-pellet-joe?mc_cid=0c4ce040dd&mc_eid=9e2efe1e72

I just don’t understand why someone would want a pellet Kamado cooker. It’s pointless in my opinion. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    They're also getting into the kettle game. You have to give them props for striking when the iron is hot. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    Why not? No messy charcoal, no need for external temp controller/fan, temperature/weather stability of ceramic shell, less metal to rust.

Makes as much sense as any other pellet grill.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Masterbuilt is running their company now.  Maybe they see this as an entry into the pellet game?   

Pellet grills do suffer from being overly effected by ambient temp.  The ceramic may help.  Kind of seems like the worst of both worlds, though.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,435
    Options
    The Kettle Joe May be in my fold once the real world reviews are out. I’d rather spend less on something to leave at the deer camp than an overpriced used egg or Joe..
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @WeberWho and @ColbyLang I’ll have there kettle style cooker as soon as I can.   I think that will be a winner and look forward to traveling with it.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Masterbuilt is running their company now.  Maybe they see this as an entry into the pellet game?   

Pellet grills do suffer from being overly effected by ambient temp.  The ceramic may help.  Kind of seems like the worst of both worlds, though.

KJ was thinking about doing this a few years ago, well before Brennan sold most of his company to them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options

KJ is not the first to come up with kamado pellet grill. 
    https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker-egg-or-kamado-style-combination-grill-smoker/black-olive-pellet-kamado-grill-review

I’m sure KJ temp control is far superior than Black Olive’s crude hi-med-lo settings.
    However, not sure how KJ addresses this big concern raised in the above review:

Traditional charcoal burning kamados create way more ash, but most of it settles down to the bottom. In the Black Olive, pellet ash is blown by the controller fan into the smoke chamber where it naturally moves upward with hot air toward the exhaust vent at the top, and much of that debris ends up right on you food. This is exacerbated when cooking at high temps.
    canuckland
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Countdown until I start getting texts from friends looking to get Traegers who also ask me about this thing. I’ve had so many friends and family ask me about pellet grills and eggs this year because of COVID (I assume). 

So far my buddy who I’ve known since freshman year of college and co-managed a team of analysts for over a decade with wins because he bought an egg and a Blackstone for his new outdoor area. My cousin went with a Traeger and while he likes it he is already wanting something else for higher heat cooks.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    People make stuff hoping it sells.  Like these products.

I think the kettle joe looks interesting. I bought an insulated metal Kamado back when the bubba keg came out 12 years ago. Loved that cooker, more efficient than an egg or kj. The bubba keg was a better design that the kettle joe, but I’m interested in that one still. The pellet side, no interest there. I didn’t feel after my year or two with my pellet grill that it was for me. Having a pellet grill with the size constraints of a Kamado doesn’t impress me. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    Having a pellet grill with the size constraints of a Kamado doesn’t impress me. 
    Light bulb flickers.  Why doesn't someone make a wide, rectangular ceramic grill, with a pellet pooper, IR plate, convection fan (why not?), a small auxiliary bowl elbowed in for cold-smoking, and a simple slide-out tray to remove lump ash, pellet poop, snow peas that fell through, etc?  
    Patent Pending.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• WeberWho
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    Having a pellet grill with the size constraints of a Kamado doesn’t impress me. 
    Light bulb flickers.  Why doesn't someone make a wide, rectangular ceramic grill, with a pellet pooper, IR plate, convection fan (why not?), a small auxiliary bowl elbowed in for cold-smoking, and a simple slide-out tray to remove lump ash, pellet poop, snow peas that fell through, etc?  
    Patent Pending.  
    This is similar to a current thread over on the BBQ Brethren forum. This guy is looking for someone to build him a smoker with the designs he came up with. I think the smoker is hexagon shaped and goes into why it would work better. The member mentions that he's in Moscow and isn't able to fabricate it with what he has. I believe he even has offered up money for someone to fabricate it and test it to see how it would work. A few people were weary on this guy in general. The more people pushed to get answers the more wild the story ends up being. Apparently the guy who lives in Moscow is from Florida and was previously a cop. He apparently turned on a couple cops and secretly recorded conversations with crooked cops and had a ton of evidence against them. These crooked cops apparently found out and charged him with all kinds of stuff. I think he said he was looking at something like 35+ years in prison. So he fled to Russia. He linked a YouTube video about his story. I haven't watched it yet as the video is around an hour long explaining what happened. I'm looking forward to checking it out though. You never know what you're going to read and find out on these fourms.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    does he post pictures of his cooks? we might be thinking of the same person.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    Ha!

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    A hint: eavyGHay
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

I sure wish that the hot chick was demonstrating that product instead of the dog  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....