Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stores stopped caring royal oak

Options
Not looking to start a charcoal brand debate.  I like royal oak for the price and convenience.  Has anyone else noticed stores switching to some off name royal oak that is more like cowboy?  Home depot, menards and fleet farm all stopped carrying it at least by me in mn.  Walmart is the only place I'm still finding it.  Tried a bag of the stuff they have switched to and the wife didn't like it.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I believe this is the case for all ‘regular’ lump, I’m only seeing Cowboy coming out and that is going fast.   Also noticed at Costco last week, all toilet paper were out, only one skid of paper towel.

Second wave of COVID coming, so it will only get worse.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    I usually get Royal Oak from Walmart.  None of the local stores here have it right now.  But you can get it from walmart.com with free shipping as long as you spend more than $35.  I just ordered 6 bags and it says they will be delivered Tuesday.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @EggNorth get a bidet, or two, thank me later  ;)
    canuckland
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    I usually get Royal Oak from Walmart.  None of the local stores here have it right now.  But you can get it from walmart.com with free shipping as long as you spend more than $35.  I just ordered 6 bags and it says they will be delivered Tuesday.
    Disregard.  Just got an email saying my order has been cancelled due to lack of stock.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Disregard.  Just got an email saying my order has been cancelled due to lack of stock.
    Bummer!  I was going to order from them.  Talked to a dealer and apparently RO is backordered most places.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Since you seem to be in the same boat as me, what brand are you considering or going to use?  I have an Ace like 15 miles away and I can get Fogo, w
    wicked Good, Rockwood and for a cheap one B&B.  Not sure what I will do.  Wife didn't like Frontier the Home Depot around here started carrying
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Since you seem to be in the same boat as me, what brand are you considering or going to use?  I have an Ace like 15 miles away and I can get Fogo, w
    wicked Good, Rockwood and for a cheap one B&B.  Not sure what I will do.  Wife didn't like Frontier the Home Depot around here started carrying
    My ace is out of everything as well.  It says Wicked Good will be back in stock on Thursday, so I guess I'll try that.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I use Kingsford Mesquite in my Weber. It’s nowhere to be found either. Thankfully I can still get Rockwood. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    At Lowes now and they don't have a spot on shelf for RO, only Cowboy, which they are out of. Plenty of Kingsford and bags of pellets.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    Options
    I should read the full thread before I try next time.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I have a whole mix of lump right now.  I have been trying everything except Cowboy.  Rockwood is out.  I have bought RW for about 7 years without another thought.  This whole fiasco has been interesting.  Everything burns different and I have had to pay attention more.

Might start keeping some of the cheaper brands on hand for certain cooks..  The wife even liked the hint of charcoal from Royal Oak.  Almost like charcoal briquettes off a Weber.  Reminds me of days before I could afford BGEs.  A little dollar store hibachi on the sidewalk at my apartment.  Something to be said for cheap grills, cheap, meat, cheap fuel, and cheap beer.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac  cheap women??   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    I have a whole mix of lump right now.  I have been trying everything except Cowboy.  Rockwood is out.  I have bought RW for about 7 years without another thought.  This whole fiasco has been interesting.  Everything burns different and I have had to pay attention more.

Might start keeping some of the cheaper brands on hand for certain cooks..  The wife even liked the hint of charcoal from Royal Oak.  Almost like charcoal briquettes off a Weber.  Reminds me of days before I could afford BGEs.  A little dollar store hibachi on the sidewalk at my apartment.  Something to be said for cheap grills, cheap, meat, cheap fuel, and cheap beer.
    I got a bag of bge when I bought it, then learned it was RO and have used RO since and the wife has gotten used to it.  When HD switched to Frontier, which is a RO product, I begrudgingly tried a bag.  My wife noticed and said it tasted weird without knowing I tried a different brand.  Cowboy is still available all over the place.  May have to give it another shot as plan b.

I agree it all burns different and the set it and forget it from using the same charcoal for many years is not there.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have given up on my Ace getting Rockwood.  They have been out of inventory for at least three months.

I finally ordered from Rockwood direct.  My supply is way too low for comfort.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I’ve been getting Rockwood at Ace without interruption, just got 2 bags yesterday. Use a $10 coupon each time too, lucky I guess. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Years ago some here called me weird 'cauz I would freak out when my stash got down to 500 pounds. At that point I would run out screaming like a junkie needing a "fix" and buy more. As it stands now I am down to just 630 pounds - mostly Rockwood and Ozark Oak, but also RO as well. Glad I don't have to panic and might be able to weather this storm shortage!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    Years ago some here called me weird 'cauz I would freak out when my stash got down to 500 pounds. At that point I would run out screaming like a junkie needing a "fix" and buy more. As it stands now I am down to just 630 pounds - mostly Rockwood and Ozark Oak, but also RO as well. Glad I don't have to panic and might be able to weather this storm shortage!
    I miss the days of being able to store a pallet of RW in my temp controlled basement.  I fell for the trap of "Just in Time Delivery" and relied on Ace's distribution network.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    Years ago some here called me weird 'cauz I would freak out when my stash got down to 500 pounds. At that point I would run out screaming like a junkie needing a "fix" and buy more. 
    Some of us still do. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    End of days!  IEEEEE!

Probably there's a wood shortage because all the forests are on fire or something.  And a pandemic. Givin that a disproportionate number of Americans (compared to the EU and Asia) believe it's a hoax, there is a lot of panic buying (like TP) and borderline prepper-ism.  

Not that I'm saying anyone is doing that here...most of the lump hoardes are old hands at it.
    edited September 2020
    Options
    End of days!  IEEEEE!

Probably there's a wood shortage because all the forests are on fire or something.  And a pandemic. Givin that a disproportionate number of Americans (compared to the EU and Asia) believe it's a hoax, there is a lot of panic buying (like TP) and borderline prepper-ism.  

Not that I'm saying anyone is doing that here...most of the lump hoardes are old hands at it.
    Hoarding makes sense when you cannot get anything because everyone is hoarding. Me thinks it is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    xactly.
    Options
    I generally use RW and this for every other cook. 
    Central Market Mesquite Lump Charcoal 20 LBS

Been able to get RW at the local dealer but this Mesquite has been very difficult to acquire.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Anyone ever get an answer why Rockwood is nonexistent? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Can't answer your question as it is always available here (at least as of today):
    https://store.rockwoodcharcoal.com/  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Business as usual here......but we can't control, nor really know where the distributors go with it.  But I do know there's a truckload leaving for Ace in GA tomorrow though.  Hopefully you local store will get some of it.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I checked stock online for RO at Home Depot and it says limited quantities for every store near me.  Went there and picked up three bags, and left the one that sounded like a rain stick when you turned it over and the one that was damaged and taped up.  I'm now back up to 6 bags, so I feel more comfortable now.  Thanks for the heads up.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    In stock at my HD today
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Plenty of RW in upstate South Carolina. They are limiting BGE brand to two bags... 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Lit said:
    In stock at my HD today
    I paid $9.86 for the 15.44# bags today at my Home Depot here in Midlothian, Virginia. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    My local Walmart didn’t have any for the first time. Gonna check out HD this week. Amazon has rock wood for $34.99 a 20lb bag. Does that seem about what it goes for?