Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arteflame accessories for BGE?

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,834
Has anybody here used any products from Arteflame - specifically their insert grill grate/griddle - to which one can attach a rotisserie?

https://arteflame.com/collections/grill-grate-replacement-inserts/products/green-egg-kamado-grill-grate-replacement-inserts?variant=4794040352801

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No but this looks like something you need. They actually do look really cool. Wondering how much upkeep it needs since it’s carbon steel. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yeah.  I "need" it @The Cen-Tex Smoker.

I found it by searching for accessories for the XXL - which are nearly nonexistent.

I do wonder about the maintenance.  I'm not particularly good at taking care of my cast iron so it is an issue.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Damnit, now there is another thing I need. As for maintenance, it would be no different than a wok. Keep it oiled and it will season.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Damnit, now there is another thing I need. As for maintenance, it would be no different than a wok. Keep it oiled and it will season.
    You’re welcome @RyanStl

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The xxl is cheaper than the large. I guess they are closing it out. For $99 I would be all over that. You probably can't buy a regular XXL grid for that much.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Back in April this year I found a guy an hour from me, for 150 Canuck loonies he would custom make a 24” arteflame like grill, 1/4” A36 carbon steel, any design/logo. Almost pulled the trigger but resisted.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I found a wok for you. see if @tjv will make a an XXL PS woo for it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you can find the wok tool in the shovel aisle at Home Depot
  • Foghorn
    Options
    The xxl is cheaper than the large. I guess they are closing it out. For $99 I would be all over that. You probably can't buy a regular XXL grid for that much.
    Yeah, but that's the "low, low price" that would suck me into also buying the $249 rotisserie and the $75 grill grate riser and the $10 grease puck for seasoning and the...

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, but that's the "low, low price" that would suck me into also buying the $249 rotisserie and the $75 grill grate riser and the $10 grease puck for seasoning and the...

Fish on!

I think all those things are pretty cool. I mean, you got a free XXL. i would load it up (but that's me).
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    That’s rotisserie setup from arteflame - looks like it has to be run lid open, is that correct?  Is that how people are running the joetisserie setups?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Legume said:
    That’s rotisserie setup from arteflame - looks like it has to be run lid open, is that correct?  Is that how people are running the joetisserie setups?
    I was wondering the same.

I was also wondering how long my fire would last for rotisserie cooking with the lid open.  I think that if I close the bottom vent and with that grate in place such that the opening is only in the center it would keep the fire from going thermonuclear and might last a while.

Anyone?

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    For 99.00 I would try one for my XL. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:

I was also wondering how long my fire would last for rotisserie cooking with the lid open.  I think that if I close the bottom vent and with that grate in place such that the opening is only in the center it would keep the fire from going thermonuclear and might last a while.

Anyone?
    Briquettes?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:

Anyone?
    Just my $.02...but $99 for the base unit seems like a good deal and would be fun to try out.

The rotisserie wouldn't interest me in the least. $250 and you have to burn $10 worth of lump to cook one $5 chicken.  =)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I know you'll be shocked to learn that I have one of those in the garage...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

I know you'll be shocked to learn that I have one of those in the garage...
    Not shocked at all. There is not much that could be in your garage that would surprise me. 
  • Legume
    Options
    That would fit on the solo stove.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'm really thinking about getting these for my xl. Do you all believe this is a legit website?

Oops, just realized the cheap one is for XXL. Pass.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Hmmm.  Shipping on the $99 item is $135.  Hmmm.

San Antonio, TX

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    No, lid closed with the joetisserie. That's the whole point of it; built with the right angle to allow the lid to be closed while in use.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Understood @OhioEgger.  I guess I'm wondering if the Arteflame rotisserie battery and motor can tolerate being in a BGE at 300+ degrees - which is what it would be with the lid closed.

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hard Nope. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said: 
    Understood @OhioEgger.  I guess I'm wondering if the Arteflame rotisserie battery and motor can tolerate being in a BGE at 300+ degrees - which is what it would be with the lid closed.
    Another hard nope for me.  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    So I got them down to $50 for shipping. $149 total.  That seemed like a fair price so I got it. 

2+ dozen shrimp on it seemed like a pretty small cook but it was a chance to break it in and learn a little about temp control and heat characteristics. 

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hard Nope. 
    COVID Road Trip!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CheffCrab
    Options
    I own a Large BGE and was interested in flat top grilling. I found out about the Arteflame insert for the BGE.  First I have been very pleased with the performance of the insert but first the product its self. It looked expensive but I dove in anyway. The pricing is confusing because you think an 18" insert is and 18" insert. There are differences. The insert for a a BGE and a Joe are the same dimension but the BGE comes with 3 (3") risers that rest on the fire ring and bring the insert closer to the felt ring and the Joe does not. The insert for a Weber is 18" but is not as thick and weighs significantly less. The 18" insert for a BGE weighs 15 lbs and is 3/8" thick. For a large BGE the opening in the middle of the insert is 8 1/2" leaving the width of the outer ring at about 5' (wide enough for a steak, 2.5 lb twi-tip, veggies, burgers, fish, etc. My experience with the risers is they don't bring the insert as high as I wanted. They are not a press fit so it is easy to push them off the edge of the insert where they fall to the bottom of the egg. The diameter of the insert is 18 1/2" and the opening in the egg at the top of the felt is 19" leaving a 1/4" gap between the insert and the inside of the egg all around. I looked at combinations of the BGE expander system to support the insert and raise it as high as I wanted but I just didn't find the solution I wanted. I discovered a Texas company "Ceramic Grill Store" that offered a heavy duty product they call a Woo ring "with out handles" that rests on the fire ring and supports the perimeter of the insert raising it to within 1/2" of the felt ring. It also supports your standard grate just fine. The lower part of the Woo has a wire ring that sits above the fire ring a few inches and will accommodate a larger ceramic diffuser stone which I think will work better than the convector in some ways. The Woo cost $42 plus freight. I ordered my Arteflame insert with the Crisbee oil puck which really worked well for seasoning the cook top. I will probably purchase some grape seed oil for future seasoning to save some money. I got my Arteflame around Thanksgiving and have had limited times to use given winter weather in Kansas. So far I have had 5 separate cooks. Smash burgers, try-tip roast, ribeye steaks, lamb chops, and vaiious grilled veggies. I was very pleased with all results so far. I reverse seared the ribeyes and the tri-tip and it worked great. I kept the dome temperature around 300 to bring the meat up to temperature. once I got within 10 degrees of desired temperature I removed the meat and opened the vents fully to let the temperature rise close to 500 degrees and then placed them back on the grill in the open grate portion in the center where the flames were flickered up around the meat to sear and bring meat to final temperature. Cleaning has been a non event. Simply scrape off any excess food when finished, drizzle some oil around the top, and wipe down with a rag or paper towel. I know this has been a long post but I hope it answers a lot of your questions.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @CheffCrab, thanks for the great write up and pics.

Ceramic Grill Store is indeed a great place that produces quality products.  Tom, the owner, is a great guy who I met at an eggfest and you should know that if you ever have any questions about their products you can just call them and speak to Tom.  He will be happy to answer any question you have and he won't try to oversell you.  He's an egghead and occasionally posts on here.

This reminds me that I need to use my arteflame insert more.  I did some fajita chicken a couple of days ago and should have used it.  

So, thank you and most importantly, welcome aboard.  Post more pics when you use it - or any time you cook on your egg.

San Antonio, TX