Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Totally messed up a picanha

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,869
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
Picanha cook:

- rub with typical Brazilian spices (just salt I think for picanha but I honestly don't know) - NOPE.  We had some rub from a friend who competes for Traeger and some rosemary and basil from the garden.

- skewer in the shape of a 'C' with the fat cap on the outside - NOPE.  We left it as is.

- Roast over fire - NOPE.  We did a sous vide at 123 because my wife likes her steak rare.

- Then we seared it on GrillGrates on the XXL egg - along with some smashed potatoes - and let the fire get away from us.  Then we added a salad that my wife made.

Despite all of the missteps it was really good.

@caliking, this is what happens when I let my son make decisions...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Picanha cook:

- rub with typical Brazilian spices (just salt I think for picanha but I honestly don't know) - NOPE.  We had some rub from a friend who competes for Traeger and some rosemary and basil from the garden.

- skewer in the shape of a 'C' with the fat cap on the outside - NOPE.  We left it as is.

- Roast over fire - NOPE.  We did a sous vide at 123 because my wife likes her beer rare.

- Then we seared it on GrillGrates on the XXL egg - along with some smashed potatoes - and let the fire get away from us.  Then we added a salad that my wife made.

I got one of those (son). Say no more. I would kill that myself. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    edited September 2020
    Options

From what I can see, said son likely saved the meal. If only you hadn't kept meddling with the cook...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @caliking, you are probably right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• the_crease
    Options
    Nice cook and love the pics, especially the plated pic!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks great from here!
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Man, that looks delicious 
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Just ordered a Wagyu Picahna last night.  Looking forward to trying it.  Your cook looks great from here!

My plan is to trim fat cap like a brisket, slice into thick steaks, sous vide, then sear.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Double grill layer on an XXL?  I'm sure it's for temp control but man you have to be able to fit a ton of food in there!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan @Ozzie_Isaac.  I wish I had done the sous vide a little longer and at a little higher temp - as it might have resulted in a more tender result.  We did 3.5 hours at 123 - but I'd probably go 5 or 6 hours next time.  And my wife likes the meat red, but if I were on my own I'd go with 131F like most of the online recipes suggest.

@BigGreenKev, I couldn't resist.  I don't currently have a heat blocker for indirect cooking.  I've ordered one, but it will be a while before it comes in.  So, I figure I can put a pizza stone or drip pan or whatever on the original grate and cook things indirect on the elevated grate in the meantime.  Or just use them both for different items like I did here.  Then one day I'll be able to do 4 or 5 briskets at once...

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    I should have added this pic with the original post.  The burned crust is a result of the fire getting a little out of control. 

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    Nailed that finish.  Way to bend/break all the "rules" and bring it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Sounds like a great plan @Ozzie_Isaac.  I wish I had done the sous vide a little longer and at a little higher temp - as it might have resulted in a more tender result.  We did 3.5 hours at 123 - but I'd probably go 5 or 6 hours next time.  And my wife likes the meat red, but if I were on my own I'd go with 131F like most of the online recipes suggest.

@BigGreenKev, I couldn't resist.  I don't currently have a heat blocker for indirect cooking.  I've ordered one, but it will be a while before it comes in.  So, I figure I can put a pizza stone or drip pan or whatever on the original grate and cook things indirect on the elevated grate in the meantime.  Or just use them both for different items like I did here.  Then one day I'll be able to do 4 or 5 briskets at once...
    Not that I always follow the best advice re: food safety, but SV at sub 131F for >4hrs is typically not recommended. I think. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,200
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:

Not that I always follow the best advice re: food safety, but SV at sub 131F for >4hrs is typically not recommended. I think. 
    My plan is 1.75" thick cuts with the grain (yes w/grain). 135F for 2hrs, then sear.  Only season with salt.  Also will pay close attention to the smaller end. Then cut against the grain and serve with beautiful fat pieces on each bite.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "Not that I always follow the best advice re: food safety, but SV at sub 131F for >4hrs is typically not recommended. I think. "

I also think that is the case.  That's why we went 3.5 hours at our low temp then seared the outside.  I've seen some recipes for 131 for more than 4 hours because although it doesn't kill all bacteria instantly at that temp, the prolonged heat is highly lethal - much like the Pasteurization of milk.  

@Ozzie_Isaac, your plan definitely sounds better than mine was on this cook.  With that said, I'm curious why you would choose 2 hours.  As a sous vide novice it's my impression that a longer time in the water will lead to better fat rendering and softening of the meat texture - so I'm planning on doing longer next time.  Or am I missing something?

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "Not that I always follow the best advice re: food safety, but SV at sub 131F for >4hrs is typically not recommended. I think. "

I also think that is the case.  That's why we went 3.5 hours at our low temp then seared the outside.  I've seen some recipes for 131 for more than 4 hours because although it doesn't kill all bacteria instantly at that temp, the prolonged heat is highly lethal - much like the Pasteurization of milk.  

@Ozzie_Isaac, your plan definitely sounds better than mine was on this cook.  With that said, I'm curious why you would choose 2 hours.  As a sous vide novice it's my impression that a longer time in the water will lead to better fat rendering and softening of the meat texture - so I'm planning on doing longer next time.  Or am I missing something?
    First item, I never sous vide meat below 131 deg.  Anything below 127, in my mind is dangerous regardless of time.  The below link has some good temp/time tables.

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Second, sous vide can be good for breaking down tougher cuts of meat and some of the connective tissue similiar to smoking pork shoulder, brisket, etc.

With those two points, here is my thought process.

Fat in Wagyu beef is really soft and will almost melt in your hands.  The intermuscular fat in the Wagyu Picanha is this good melty fat.  I will trim off the silver skin and some of the harder edge fats that will not render out.  So all I really want to do is pasturize the meat and melt the tasty fat in the meat.  Then I will sear it to get the nice flavors from the maillard reaction.  There is no tough connective tissue to break down so no need for longer sous vide.

I personally find sous vide steaks that have gone for 4+ hours to have a sponge texture I do not like.  They are completely safe and not over cooked (benefit of sous vide), but their texture is not to my liking.  I prefer a hot and fast steak over  direct flames to a steak that has been in the water bath too long.

A properly done hot'n fast is better all around, but a sous vide is more consistent for steak.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Marking this thread as a keeper.

Great looking cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Marking this thread as a keeper.

Great looking cook.
    Look away.  Last thing we need is this cut becoming mainstream.  Not many good poorly understood/known cuts anymore.  Look at brisket prices.  It used to be a throw away cut!