Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I made food, and I am posting pictures!!

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
edited September 2020 in Off Topic
I have been making a lot of hotdogs and bacon.  I am getting pretty dang good if I do say so myself.  I decided to wade into the deep end and try some burgers on the Egg.  I make a mean smash burger, but really all you do is get a piece of steel hot, and push down really hard on some hamburger.  Add salt if you are feeling frisky and serve...I digress. Well, since I wanted to wow the family I looked for the best meat I could find.  I found two packages of "Impossible Burger".  It was pricey at 8.99/lb, but this was a special occasion.  Figure with a name and price like that, it has to be good.

Well I made my patties, it was pretty sticky so I oiled my gloves which helped.  1lb didn't go far.  I added worschesteshire sauce, soy sauce, salt, Goya, garlic, and onion salt (special occasion you know).

I used a special lump too.  Rockwood is now impossible to find in these parts, but found some new stuff "Jealous Devil", which I know you all probably are right now.  

The burgers cooked kind weird.  No shrinking and had a weird smell.  I am used to my 80/20 smash burgers, so maybe it was the grill, lump, or Impossible Burger.  Kind of smelled like burnt cauliflower.

Well anyway, the burgers turned out pretty good.  Cooked to 160 like all burgers should be.  Served with colby jack (I was out of orange American cheese), and mustard.  No sinful ketchup on these beauties.  Anyway, these are proof that with enough practice anyone can make some killer burgers.  Well not killer, kinda dry and a little off, but still tasty, and served on porcelain too!

Anyway, thanks for reading.  I am just dipping my toe into the actual cooking side of this forum.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Herecy!
    Options
    Seriously. Looks good.
    Options
    "The photography and storytelling were both fantastic". - Sammy G.
    "The must read thread of the month!" - Tommy K.
    "A display of skills of which we should all be jealous." - Hank H.
    "Where's the pickles?" - Santa Klausen

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Using my new found confidence, I went all Kenji Lopez on these brats.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I wonder how those burgers would taste using the @travisstrick method?
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I wonder how those burgers would taste using the @travisstrick method?
    Braising in some fat would help.  Maybe next time I will mix some bacon fat in.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • butt_juice
    Options
    Those looked pretty good. I'd eat pig anus before I ate meat flavored vegetables though....As a non vegan/vegetarian, would you buy a pack of carrot flavored bratwurst for $7.99, or a pea flavored ribeye steak for $25/lb? It seems so dumb when you flip the tables lol. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    How was that lump charcoal?  Not that you needed to do a low and slow ... that's the real test.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The OZ is on fiya 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    How was that lump charcoal?  Not that you needed to do a low and slow ... that's the real test.
    The ziplock feature looked nice, until the little zipper piece came off when I first opened the bag.  I was worried it fell into the bag, because then I could not dump and go. I would have had to sort it to make sure I didn't pour the plastic piece into my Egg.  Luckily I found it under some patio furniture after a few minutes.

The pieces are big and dense.  They are oddly flakey too.  It was a hot and fast, and I let it burn off for 45 minutes while I prepped the "burgers".  I will do a low and slow to see how it burns and tastes over longer time.  My first impression is, it is definitely lump charcoal.  With it being so dense, I expect it to do well in low and slow, assuming the smoke cleans up.