Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Light Through the Darkness

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
edited August 2020 in Off Topic
Thought we could all use some comic relief.  Make sure your sound is on:

Happy Friday everyone.  Hope to see some of you tonight.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just realized I probably should have posted this in the Weight Loss subforum.  Sorry for the oversight there.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I wonder how many falls and takes it took to get that routine down...
    No comic relief to me.  Just a talent right there.  Thanks for the light moment.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Doing wings tonight for our neighbors daughter (her request), who had accepted a full ride to Portland State, for engineering. Unfortunately she found out, at the airport on her way west, "in school" classes have been cancelled due to Covid 19. Her orientation is tonight until 8:30 P.M., due to the east coast/west coast time difference.

(Her father, my next door neighbor, is the Math Chair at Bellermine, here in Louisville, and is freaking out because she is becoming a lowly engineer, like me, and fears she will never understand the real beauty of math. My Beautiful Wife was also a Math major as well as our two children, who both are double majors, and math is one of them. It can be, at times, insufferable around here, like everyday that ends in "day")

Very cool guided and guarded young lady who has done much voluteer and charitable work in communities across the country.

The least I could do is make my wings for her. For whatever reason, she loves them.

If I make it tonight it might be late, but I will try.
    Tell your neighbor friend that your bbq buddy, who is a professor of both engineering and math at Duke, just wants him to know that engineers are interested in doing useful things with math.  

And then prepare to duck...
    Will do and his BBQ sucks, JSYK.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Doing wings tonight for our neighbors daughter (her request), who had accepted a full ride to Portland State, for engineering. Unfortunately she found out, at the airport on her way west, "in school" classes have been cancelled due to Covid 19. Her orientation is tonight until 8:30 P.M., due to the east coast/west coast time difference.

(Her father, my next door neighbor, is the Math Chair at Bellermine, here in Louisville, and is freaking out because she is becoming a lowly engineer, like me, and fears she will never understand the real beauty of math. My Beautiful Wife was also a Math major as well as our two children, who both are double majors, and math is one of them. It can be, at times, insufferable around here, like everyday that ends in "day")

Very cool guided and guarded young lady who has done much voluteer and charitable work in communities across the country.

The least I could do is make my wings for her. For whatever reason, she loves them.

Tell your neighbor friend that your bbq buddy, who is a professor of both engineering and math at Duke, just wants him to know that engineers are interested in doing useful things with math.  

Wait until you get into architect versus engineer cat fights.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Ha!  I have friends who are architects.  

Actually the internecine warfare amongst engineers can be pretty entertaining too.  As in, civil engineers build targets, while mechanical engineers build weapons...
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Actually the internecine warfare amongst engineers can be pretty entertaining too.  As in, civil engineers build targets, while mechanical engineers build weapons...

been looking at some civil engineering drawings lately, they would make a great target, not much else. never seen so much nonsense, if you want to use a particular material just name it, dont describe what you want, say what you want
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    YukonRon said:

been looking at some civil engineering drawings lately, they would make a great target, not much else. never seen so much nonsense, if you want to use a particular material just name it, dont describe what you want, say what you want
    They are that way due to government bidding laws usually. Sometimes we wish we really could specify particular materials or products by brand name and parts number. It would save the public thousands in longevity and maintenance costs. And yes I have particular sewage grinder pumps and electric motors in mind that weren’t up to the job specified. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    I started school to become an architect.  After meeting a successful architect, I changed my major to mechanical engineering.

Sometimes I wished I stayed as an architect, although I would not have enjoyed eating ramen and bread for the first 15 years of my career.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i just made some 2 inch diameter pins for a highway bridge. a 300 word essay with a drawing with no dimensions and a note to verify dims in the field. so much easier to say 2 inch diameter 4140 tool steel annealed condition and put the length down on a piece of paper. i dont need the tensiles yeilds elongation etc, just put down the grade material and condition and the size. but someone had to hang off that bridge 300 foot over a river with a tape measure. 3 people died there this past winter, really have to wonder what they were actually doing
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    i just made some 2 inch diameter pins for a highway bridge. a 300 word essay with a drawing with no dimensions and a note to verify dims in the field. so much easier to say 2 inch diameter 4140 tool steel annealed condition and put the length down on a piece of paper. i dont need the tensiles yeilds elongation etc, just put down the grade material and condition and the size. but someone had to hang off that bridge 300 foot over a river with a tape measure. 3 people died there this past winter, really have to wonder what they were actually doing
    Too much work to dig through specs to ensure they choose the right material.  Plus, if their exact material callout is not available then they need to do a change notice.  Easier to pass the buck down.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Since people died when a bridge fell due to bolt failure in fairly recent memory I can imagine why they are being specific about how strong and durable bolts are. Lawsuits are expensive and they don’t replace people. Interesting enough my cousin is an engineer for the main company that manufacturers bridge fasteners. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Too much work to dig through specs to ensure they choose the right material.  Plus, if their exact material callout is not available then they need to do a change notice.  Easier to pass the buck down.

and the contracting foreman enters my shop with the dimension and just says...make it out of something hard..........,
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options

and the contracting foreman enters my shop with the dimension and just says...make it out of something hard..........,
    SMH, that is why I prefer actual material callouts to specs with CoCs and alternates if I am worried about availability.  A lot can be lost in translation.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

Lol, i get this all the time.
    At least 4140 is readily available. Most of the time i get some exotic metal spec'd that the customer found info for on the internet or in a 50 year old book. Usually no supplier has ever heard of it or has to have a custom mill run done to get it. Then you get that dumbfounded look when you tell them the price for the 6" of material they need shipped across the ocean with a precise delivery of 2-8 months
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    YukonRon said:

My maths studying son tells me that he can do a 1 year masters in engineering and that will make him an engineer. Had to pick my self off the floor after that one.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YukonRon said:

My maths studying son tells me that he can do a 1 year masters in engineering and that will make him an engineer. Had to pick my self off the floor after you take 

Here in your last year of engineering school you take and pass an 8 hour test on everything that you have learned. That grants you the rank of Engineer in Training or approximately Apprentice Engineer after you graduate. Then you work for a licensed engineer for 4 years. At that point you can take another 8 hr test and if you pass call yourself a Professional Engineer. Frankly I don't see where your son can  take materials science, dynamics, thermodynamics and numerous speciality classes in a year but I may be mistaken. I'm sure JIC will correct me if I am.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YukonRon said:

My maths studying son tells me that he can do a 1 year masters in engineering and that will make him an engineer. Had to pick my self off the floor after that one.
    You should be at my dinner table when the children are home from college.

It is like I am worse than Rodney Dangerfield, until I remind them who and what, pays for them to do what they do. It gets pretty quiet after that.

Youth is wasted on the young.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You’re doing this a lot lately.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think it’s morse code for “I’ve been kidnapped!”
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YukonRon said:

My maths studying son tells me that he can do a 1 year masters in engineering and that will make him an engineer. Had to pick my self off the floor after you take 

Here in your last year of engineering school you take and pass an 8 hour test on everything that you have learned. That grants you the rank of Engineer in Training or approximately Apprentice Engineer after you graduate. Then you work for a licensed engineer for 4 years. At that point you can take another 8 hr test and if you pass call yourself a Professional Engineer. Frankly I don't see where your son can  take materials science, dynamics, thermodynamics and numerous speciality classes in a year but I may be mistaken. I'm sure JIC will correct me if I am.
    Owen’s son is effing high and I suspect Owen knows it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YukonRon said:

Owen’s son is effing high and I suspect Owen knows it.
    Yeah I once had a surveying tech tell me that he could take and pass the PE exam then do my job. All with out a BS in anything but BSing.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    And here I thought I had the only job that others think they can do without actually doing it.
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Here's the Bobby Darin version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU  
    Friday night-it's all good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    And here I thought I had the only job that others think they can do without actually doing it.
    I was an engineer for the DOT. Every Bubba or Karen in the unwashed masses not only thought they could do my job but that they were my boss. Usually when they wanted me to do something illegal, unsafe, unethical, or all three combined.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What’s the saying?  Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked 1000 miles in his shoes?  I think it applies to a lot of things.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Legume said:
    My finger types faster than my frontal lobe processes.  I have often gone back and edited comments for fear of raising someone's ire.

Wish you could just delete.