Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Happy with Rockwood!!!!

Options
I know this will be an unpopular opinion around here but I’m frustrated. I’ll start by saying I have over 250 cooks logged with my kamado so I know what I’m doing. I ordered 3 bags of Rockwood back before the shipping was about to change. They’ve been stored dry in my shop along side 3 bags of kamado Joe big block since they came in. Bag one was beat all to pieces and was full of tiny pieces top to bottom, nothing bigger than 1”. I could not get it to heat to higher temps. I figured maybe the smaller pieces were clogging it up so I used kamado Joe big block on the bottom and dusted the top with the tiny Rockwood pieces and managed to get through that bag. Onto the second bag. While the pieces are bigger it still will not get hot.  I completely cleaned the grill out and added fresh Rockwood from the new bag. I left the top open twice as long as I normally do with bottom vent wide open and it just won’t get hot. Flame, air and fuel should make the fire. It had plenty of flame and plenty of air. Only thing left is the fuel. Very frustrated. I will say my very first bag of Rockwood was great and I loved the flavor but for some reason these 2 bags suck. Not happy at all and have zero motivation to crack open the third bag. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I will gladly take your 3rd bag to give it a try.  I have burned around 100 bags of RW without issue.  I have gotten an occasional rock, but never any issue with temp.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Where did you buy them from and how far did they have to be shipped? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Ordered direct and shipped to S.C.  I was a long time royal oak user because it was cheap. Until I found a huge piece of insulation in a bag so I switched to Rockwood. My first bag was awesome and I quickly ordered 3 more before the shipping prices changed. I don’t understand it. I get the small pieces being on the shipping company and can’t really complain about that. No fault of Rockwood there. Just don’t understand why it’s taking so long to get hot. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Well, you know what they say?

"The friggin' lump drive the cook!"
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm not trying to play a game with semantics here - OK? But right off you said have used your "kamado" for 250 cooks and then later you mention storing the Rockwood with your "Kamado Big Block" lump...so are you using a Big Green Egg or a Kamado Joe or yet even some other brand of ceramic cooker?. If a KJ or other then I will admit I have no knowledge of what a KJ guts look like, the number or location of air holes nor even the bottom vent. So I can't help you by not knowing those air flow characteristics - sorry!
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Hour and forty minutes in. Bottom vent is wide open. Top holes are open and vent is cracked 1/2” and it will not get above 350. Kamado Joe by the way. Normally with this setup I’d be 500-600 degrees easily. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I’m using a kamado Joe classic. I commented about using kamado Joe big block charcoal because Ive never had a problem getting it up to temp and it was stored inside in the same place with the Rockwood. Said all that because I know I can rule out the lump being wet or storage causing problems. 
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    RRP said:
    If a KJ or other then I will admit I have no knowledge of what a KJ guts look like, the number or location of air holes nor even the bottom vent. 
    No real difference between recent BGE and Kamado Joes other than the grate configurations. Same shape, same air controls, same availability to upgrade to better charcoal baskets etc. 

I've got probably 6 different types of lump in my basement. Do they all perform the same? Damn, I'm not a scientist. But I do know how to adjust my cookers.

I own a large BGE, and a Kamado Joe Jr. And an antique Kaman, clay, not refractory. And ~15 other charcoal grills (and one 20 year old Weber roadside find gasser, don't hate me).

If nothing else from over 30 years of charcoal cooking? Don't blame the fuel.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Fire is all about airflow. If the charcoal will light, but not getting hot it needs more air. The smaller pieces will restrict airflow but normally not enough to matter. Try burrowing a couple air holes to the bottom of the fire grate. Make sure grate isn’t clogged with ash and clean out the bottom.  Best of luck!
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Why are you using a top vent for higher heat cooks?  Open that thing up and let it eat lump. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Have you reached out to @stlcharcoal (owner)? My guess is he will do whatever he can to make you a happy customer again.
    Snellville, GA

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I emailed them. Maybe it was user error but It’s happened multiple times now. I can’t logically think of anything that would be wrong with the charcoal other than being wet and I know that wasn’t it. Cook still turned out good and had great flavor. Just took longer than I had hoped. Maybe it just takes longer than I’m used to on the front end to get up to temp. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I would scour the Komado Joe forum for the answer. I'm sure it's there somewhere. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    Options
    Over 250 cooks! Do you have a YouTube channel?
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    user error. As stated above, you have an airflow issue. 

Unless like the stove cooking grits in the movie My Cousin Vinny, the laws of physics fail to apply to your charcoal.   JKOC. 

Prolly best to take things apart and vacuum out the ash build up likely found around the firebox. IDK. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    In addition to @pgprescott 's suggestions, ensure everything is aligned properly.  Not sure on KJs, but in BGEs if the firebox opening is not aligned with the inlet (even a little bit off) you can have issues with proper airflow and your inlet air damper openings will be wonky.

One sure test, is open the lid and fully open the air inlet.  If the lump does not eventually catch fire and start glowing red/orange/white then the lump is an issue.  You can speed up the process by putting a leaf blower in the inlet.  Careful with that though, flying ash and embers can be dangerous.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    edited August 2020
    Options
    OK - I may be going further out here on a limb then some of you guys, but since I was the first to reply to this post then I think I ought to admit that I think I/we have been duped by this troll. The more I looked at his post(s) and replies(s) it just got more obvious! 
    Hope you had a good chuckle, Mr/Mrs/MissTroll whoever you are!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I would scour the Komado Joe forum for the answer. I'm sure it's there somewhere. 
    This really was not helpful. My bad. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Moisture?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Moisture?
    There is much moisture in the SC Low Country. Having grown up there.......I can confirm this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    edited August 2020
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK - I may be going further out here on a limb then some of you guys, but since I was the first to reply to this post then I think I ought to admit that I think I/we have been duped by this troll. The more I looked at his post(s) and replies(s) it just got more obvious! 
    Hope you had a good chuckle, Mr/Mrs/MissTroll whoever you are!
    I'm with @RRP on this one.  I might add that we are damn lucky we live in a free country.  Find another brand that suits you and your needs.  For the rest of us Rockwood users, cheers!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Is 250 cooks a lot?
    NOLA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2020
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Is 250 cooks a lot?
    Sounds like a year and a half or so, of cooking to me. I remember when mine was still new like that.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I gave up on all the Boutique brands and switched to Jealous Devil.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Moisture?
    There is much moisture in the SC Low Country. Having grown up there.......I can confirm this.
    .....I actually have not grown up yet.....so never mind.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

How is this stuff. I've seen it at a local grocery store ... the packaging definitely caught my attention, but is it any good?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I have not found Jealous Devil here, but you get free shipping ordering direct.  This charcoal is great and I love the waterproof resealable bag.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    i cant even get rockwood or royal oak in southern MN.  It appears that covid has created many more ceramic bbqer's and that has resulted in a lump shortage.  My last two bags have been frontier....
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Burned both Joe Jr and Lg Green Egg this week end, both had Rockwood. No problem with lighting or heat up. Held temps for 3 racks on Egg and whole chicken on Jr. My lump was from just opened bag that came out of pallet I got last year. Out of pallet(50bags) I have no problems. I am close enough to pick it up in StL so I dont have to deal with bags going thru FedEx or UPS distribution. Plenty of large pieces.