Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What Was Your First Album You Bought/Received?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Pink Floyd  The Dark Side of the Moon Lyrics  Genius
    When it first came out. Great day, listened to every track with my best friend.

I almost feel sorry for you, it was all kinda downhill from then, wasn't it?   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    buzd504 said:

My last band did "Rio", and one of the few songs I sang lead, AND got to use my Nord synth's arpeggiator (in the Intro).  Thanks for the Smile!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    womaus said:
    I've always been a big fan of Al Kooper, the guy that "discovered" Lynyrd Skynyrd, producing their first 2 or 3 albums.

First album I purchased with my own $$$ was I Stand Alone.

Al Kooper also founded Blood, Sweat & Tears.  He hired a bunch of musicians who clearly were above his level, and was fired from his own band!  Felt kinda bad for him but he left us with a Legacy.  

• Botch
    This is a fun-ass thread, and it really dates us all better than if we just all listed our birthdates!   :)

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88

Gift from a friends older brother. I still have a bit over 10k lps, but this one got lost along the way. 
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Botch said I almost feel sorry for you, it was all kinda downhill from then, wasn't it?   ;)

It did set the bar high, but I’ve found a few to love since then. The music thread on here has helped.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    bucky925 said:

Love Steely Dan, especially this album, especially “Aja”.  “Chinese music always sets me free..”
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    bucky925 said:

Another one, mostly downhill from there!  
    My favorite Of All Time.  

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Early years.

Later years

Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

On vinyl.  Probably still in the plywood record crate in my childhood bedroom.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    House of Pain - Fine Malt Lyrics
    On a cassette tape.

That’s the first album that I purchased with my hard earned own money but mine was on a CD.  I purchased the album at the same time as my first CD player and speakers that I paid a fortune for.

My first actual albums that I received were copied cassette tape from friends: New kids on the block, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer.

I have evolved now 😂😂😂

Proud to say I still have yet to buy an album rapt this point in life. 70’s-80’s rock and roll is my primary pandora station.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Botch said:
    buzd504 said:

My last band did "Rio", and one of the few songs I sang lead, AND got to use my Nord synth's arpeggiator (in the Intro).  Thanks for the Smile!  

Nice.  That's not a cover you see often.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2020
    I really have no idea. I have older brothers that purchased first releases of all the Beatles collection (which I posses). Some original Stones, Buddy Holy etc. I have started cataloging my collection recently, and having a blast evaluating condition of the media and sleeves. All said, this includes listening for pops and viewing visual inspection. I estimate prolly 800-900 in total. I have discovered some gems with some Real value. Only 1/4 the way thru cataloging, just getting started on the listening (new turntable). 

Analog Rocks.

Edit: I do know the last purchased (yesterday) to kick off the new turntable. It was fantastic (new) Lou Reed Coney Island Baby. Wow is all I can say. I think Vinyl pressings have improved over the years. The twenty dollar price tag was not as I remembered it.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Botch said:
    This may date me🎧

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Botch said:
    This may date me🎧

Yep that was my first record. Of course I was 5.
  • northGAcock
    Botch said:
    This may date me🎧

...about 62 now?

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Rare Earth In Concert.
    Remains one of my favorites today. It was my first selection of my first time buying albums.

My second selection on that day was Let it Bleed from The Rolling Stones.it, too, remains one of my favorites.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Anyone else want to hear @Botch sing some Duran Duran during a Friday night zoom call?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Botch said:
    This may date me🎧

...about 62 now?
    60 on Saturday.
  • northGAcock
    Botch said:
    This may date me🎧

...about 62 now?
    60 on Saturday.
    Happy Furfday. July baby myself.

• uploadwikimediaorgwikipediaenee5Kiss-Des
    Same here.  Santa gave it to me for Christmas 1976.  
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    uploadwikimediaorgwikipediaenee5Kiss-Des
    Same here.  Santa gave it to me for Christmas 1976.  
    I own close too 1k albums. I do not own a single Kiss album. Don’t dislike them at all.....just never purchased any. 

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Botch said:
    womaus said:
    I've always been a big fan of Al Kooper, the guy that "discovered" Lynyrd Skynyrd, producing their first 2 or 3 albums.

First album I purchased with my own $$$ was I Stand Alone.

Al Kooper also founded Blood, Sweat & Tears.  He hired a bunch of musicians who clearly were above his level, and was fired from his own band!  Felt kinda bad for him but he left us with a Legacy.  
    Not quite true. Al Kooper walked away when the record company tried to wrestle away control of the production of the future albums. Only the first BS&T album was Kooper. The later travesties (David Clayton Thomas?) never matched up.

For a good read find a copy of "Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Ba*tards". 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    My first single was Joan Jett and the blackheart's "I love Rock'n'Roll"

First full album was "Thriller"

PS- Can we start making fun of each other on this thread or will folks get feelings hurt? I want to make fun of peoples tastes. I'm fine if you make fun of mine. 

How do people like the worlds worst band? aka KISS.  (I like heavy metal but not garbage rock). Jeez.  I taken farts that write better songs.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Botch
    womaus said:
    Not quite true. Al Kooper walked away when the record company tried to wrestle away control of the production of the future albums. Only the first BS&T album was Kooper. The later travesties (David Clayton Thomas?) never matched up.

For a good read find a copy of "Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Ba*tards". 
    Thanks for the clarification.   :)

• Gulfcoastguy
    My first single was Joan Jett and the blackheart's "I love Rock'n'Roll"

First full album was "Thriller"

PS- Can we start making fun of each other on this thread or will folks get feelings hurt? I want to make fun of peoples tastes. I'm fine if you make fun of mine. 

How do people like the worlds worst band? aka KISS.  (I like heavy metal but not garbage rock). Jeez.  I taken farts that write better songs.  

For what it’s worth I am not a metal head but Metallica rocks and at 59 I downloaded Avenged Sevenfold and Night Wish. Strangely I never felt too old for new music except for the majority of rap. I do love finding new independent writer/ singers on ITunes , something that you were hard pressed to do when you were limited to the local record store and top forty radio.