Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with Figs?

Options
I have a fig tree producing tons of fruit.  I have never had a productive fig tree before.  What do you do with them?

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I’ve heard that God hates figs, for what it’s worth.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Best use use is similar to a bean bag toss game. Sit a garbage can 10 feet away and see how many you can toss into the can before the garbage man comes to haul them away!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I have a recipe for fresh fig barbecue sauce. Also one for fig cake but that would require canning them first. Figs can be dehydrated and used in baked goods like you would raisins or crasins. Can't think of any Egg based recipes off of the bat. Off hand I would say look up fig preserves in order to save them since they take a long time to dehydrate.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Goat cheese is good with them too.  They’re great fresh
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2020
    Options
    OMG - send them to me! I love figs. Eat them raw of course. Wrap with really thin bacon and grill them like an ABT. Figs reduce easily into a drip jam. Lightly roasted on grilled sourdough with the previously mentioned goat cheese. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Home made fig newtons. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

RoR
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Just for my own info (I have no fig tree) what does it take from tree to dried (the only ones I'm familiar with)?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    Just for my own info (I have no fig tree) what does it take from tree to dried (the only ones I'm familiar with)?  
    By weight it is roughly 6 to 1 from fresh to dried.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Adopt me?  You have a goldmine!  We love them sliced, wrap with thinly sliced imported prosciutto, squeeze of fresh lime juice and a grind of coarsely ground black pepper. Heaven. 
    IL 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    In a pinch, plan to make jam or marmalade. Better than anything you could buy in a store. 

There are other things, like poached figs, etc. which I only wish I had enough figs to think about making. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Holy $#!5, so I just washed and sliced thin as suggested.  Then used a "Rugged and mature English cheddar" and ritz crackers.  My mind has been blown.  Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be working my way down the list.  The Fig tree is huge and has about 200 more Figs already.
    We had a gigantic fig tree on the farm growing up . Grandma and dad made fig preserves every year. Yum.... try it with apple slices and brie
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac “200 more figs” you are blessed my friend. Eat and enjoy. They don’t hold too well so eat ‘em up. As @caliking suggested jam is a good option. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Cut in half and serve with olive oil and prosciutto

Greensboro, NC
  • Carhoch
    Carhoch Posts: 20
    Options
    I dehydrate a lot of mine and eat them all winter ,I make Chutney with figs , caramelised  onions and balsamic vinegar  or Preserves or you can even try to make homemade Fig Newtons 
    Suffolk,VA .XLBGE ,Blackstone griddle.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Right off the tree or Bush, whatever you call it, crack one open and take a bite...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I have cojita stuffed, bacon wrapped figs on the MBGE right now.  I do not have goat or blue cheese available, but always have cojita.  This fig experimenting is tasty.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    LOL - guess I’m lucky that only one dude slammed me for my dislike of figs, but he/she/it said I was a troll...gotta wonder what he/she/it really wanted to say! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - guess I’m lucky that only one dude slammed me for my dislike of figs, but he/she/it said I was a troll...gotta wonder what he/she/it really wanted to say! 
    Haha!  Flags fly fast lately.  I take it as a positive.  Someone had to read it to hate it 😉
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    RRP said:
    Haha!  Flags fly fast lately.  I take it as a positive.  Someone had to read it to hate it 😉
    Ah yeupp, kinda like fishing.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    We get a ton of figs.

Best is fig pizza.  Olive oil, cheese, goat cheese proscuitto, and figs!  Top with dressed arugula after you bake it.
    NOLA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My family always made fig preserves. They also made fig/strawberry preserves. the combination is outstanding.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2020
    Options
    After eating about 15 figs yesterday, I learned they must have a lot of fiber.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Now that’s funny. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    After eating about 15 figs yesterday, I learned they must have a lot of fiber.
    They also have a ton of sugar. Diabetics are supposed to have only 2(two) figs in a serving. Kind of took the shine off of our fig tree.