Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Genius Fan Melted!

Options
I was smoking a turkey yesterday, 15 lbs, using my large BGE and the Egg Genius.  Pit set point was 325F and the Egg Genius had the latest firmware.  All was fine for the first hour or so and then I noticed the pit temp was dropping (via the app).  Noticed the app saying the fan was at 100%. I went over to the Egg to investigate and could not feel nor hear the fan running.  Took the unit off of the BGE and noted it was REALLY hot.  Looked in the little duct where the air blows out and saw a black mass.  Looking closer, saw that the squirrel cage, which is plastic, had melted and that even the green plastic body of the Genius was starting to deform/melt.  Will call Flame Boss tomorrow when they're open.  Has anyone had that happen to them?  Seems like a design flaw to have a cheap plastic fan so close to potentially hot gases.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have never heard of this happening. Sounds like it got hot from the inside. I doubt a 325 degree egg would melt a fan. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ptcolombo
    ptcolombo Posts: 4
    Options
    I have never heard of this happening. Sounds like it got hot from the inside. I doubt a 325 degree egg would melt a fan. 
    Especially since I’ve done this before. This should be the sweet spot for the Egg Genius. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    ptcolombo said:
    Especially since I’ve done this before. This should be the sweet spot for the Egg Genius. 
    The specs say it can be used up to 500. You were a long way To the safe side from there. 
    New Orleans LA
  • ptcolombo
    Options
    Spoke with FlameBoss tech support this morning.  He looked at the saved history and didn't see anything amiss.  Said the only thing that sometimes causes a problem is if you don't burp the BGE before you open it, you could get blow back into the unit.  Being a long time BGE owner and remembering it's no fun to get burned, I do that by second nature now.  He said he was opening a ticket to return and get it repaired.  No quibbles or nonsense since the unit was a week and one year old.  EXCELLENT tech and customer support. I'm happy again.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ptcolombo said:
    Spoke with FlameBoss tech support this morning.  He looked at the saved history and didn't see anything amiss.  Said the only thing that sometimes causes a problem is if you don't burp the BGE before you open it, you could get blow back into the unit.  Being a long time BGE owner and remembering it's no fun to get burned, I do that by second nature now.  He said he was opening a ticket to return and get it repaired.  No quibbles or nonsense since the unit was a week and one year old.  EXCELLENT tech and customer support. I'm happy again.
    Nice. This confirms what many others have said on here about them. They have excellent service. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Did you have it hooked up to the inside of the egg?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ptcolombo
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Did you have it hooked up to the inside of the egg?
    I assume you mean the pit probe? Yes. Also two meat probes.