Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Gold grade brisket

Options
I put on a 14.4lb gold grade brisket this morning. I trimmed a little bit of the fat cap and seasoned with Clark company. Rolling right now at about 165 internal temperature. Question is should I wrap in butcher paper or just let it roll? Cooking at 250 dome temp.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    With every brisket and the finish it is your call depending on what you are trying to or need to achieve.  Here's a link to some insights from Franklin but remember he is cooking on a stick burner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw 

And to simplyfy:
    Wrapping is done for a couple of reasons-to get thru the stall and accelerate the cook (foil is the deal for that endeavor) or preserve the bark  (butcher paper for that) or not at all.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks I’ve watched Franklins video. I’m going to go ahead and wrap in butcher paper. I will take a picture when I wrap it.
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    With my first brisket I just went with it until I liked the bark, then wrapped in paper. Worked perfectly. But I wouldn't wrap going forward if the bark isn't right where I want it. People around here will (rightly) tell you that the cow drives the cook. I might prefer to say that the steer steers. 

I think you're in for a nice finished product.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    It's beautiful. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Make sure you go by feel.  The last SRF I had cooked really fast and probed nice in the low 190s.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Jeez...  looks really good.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Looks great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Looking good!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks, guys I pulled it 195. Is it ok to have it rest for a hour in the oven or should I go the towel cooler route?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have let them bpTC for4 hours with no issues. Still pushed steam when sliced, using a Yeti 65.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky