Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at ribeyes on the egg

Options
Fired up the xl tonight and made 3 ribeyes.  I wanted to cook them around 500 but lost that target in a hurry. I hit 600 and slid the dampers to about 3/4 open and too and bottom. 650 temp it is I guess lol. Here are the results. Wife loved them and her guest wanted well done :(

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    Looks damn fine!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

Nailed it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JJensen
    JJensen Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sure beats my pellet grill taste 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Those look wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    edited June 2020
    Options
    JJensen said:
    Thanks guys. Sure beats my pellet grill taste 
    I've always been suspicious of the idea of cooking steak on a pellet grill - but can you expound on that?  Better sear?

Oh and great cook and pics.  Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JJensen
    Options
    @Foghorn
     When I did the steak on pellet grill the only way I found it to be any better then in a cast iron pan was if I reverse seared them. The egg puts a sear on that is light years above in my opinion. Plus the added taste of charcoal is far better to me   But again your mileage might very 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    You gotta try cooking them in a cast iron pan. It is a serious game changer.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • JJensen
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    Oh I have and still do.  Sear on each side and into the oven at 450 till medium rare 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    While cast iron pan is good for making a nice crust, I prefer the taste of steaks on the egg, pretty hard to beat.

@JJensen nice steaks!

Options
    JJensen said:
    @Foghorn
     When I did the steak on pellet grill the only way I found it to be any better then in a cast iron pan was if I reverse seared them. The egg puts a sear on that is light years above in my opinion. Plus the added taste of charcoal is far better to me   But again your mileage might very 
    Thanks. This is what I suspected and why I have been skeptical about claims of good steak cooking on pellet grills. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    The only way I do steaks now is low and slow on the Egg until almost to temp. Then a rest and a sear on the 800 degree gas grill with GrillGrates flat side up. Have to show the gasser some love occasionally.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Nailed that first attempt on those ribeyes sir. They look great.